• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So, that Lucina and Marth Shield Breaker...

RorioPizazzle

Smash Rookie
How're you Lucina/Marth mains dealing with the changes? Over the past few days some FG players I fight don't even use it anymore, they don't even try.

I haven't played the latest patch enough to notice the exact change, but I almost feel like it couldn't afford to be weakened as it was. An uncharged tap barely did anything, and now a full charge is less potent. What's it good for now?

FallenHero

Smash Ace
It really bothers me that this move was nerfed, because now it can't even break shields without you having to charge the move past the point when your opponent realizes "oh **** they are going to break my shield i should roll away or something". Marth's tippers being safer on shield does make me happy though. I still don't understand why a move called "shield breaker" can't even break shields all that well. Tipper SB should break shields INSTANTLY and it should take 1/2 charge to break a shield without a tipper.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
The move is safer on shield due to the new stun mechanics but otherwise it has become very difficult to consistently break shields as before. This makes me a bit sad. I still use it, It is good pressure tool and a decent option for Jab and Dancing Blade mix ups, B-Reversing and covering your landings since even a slightly charged tipped Shield Breaker deals a decent amount of knockback.
I hope the dev team considers to give back some of SB's power on the next patch, perhaps they thought in theory that the move would have been too strong with the new shield mechanics.

Last edited:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Tipper SB should break shields INSTANTLY and it should take 1/2 charge to break a shield without a tipper.
You want Marth to have a move that hits on F19 and breaks shields instantly?

Last edited:

FallenHero

Smash Ace
You want Marth to have a move that hits on F19 and breaks shields instantly?
I don't see what is wrong with that, 19 frames is a fair amount of time to react and if you have to space it properly it is not like you just broke a shield without doing anything besides pressing a button. Maybe it shouldn't break shields instantly, but I feel a tipper should break a shield with very little charge, the move is called "Shieldbreaker" after all.

FRiSKruns

Smash Ace
Premium
Not to mention there's a 10-frame powershield window, and tipper or not, shield-breaker does not break powershields unless it's fully charged. That being said, not only do they have 19 frames to react, but even if they react a little late, it's still not hard to powershield it lol.

Long-story short, Shield-breaker was fine the way it was before the nerf.

Honestly, I was even ok with it being less safe on shield when not spaced well. it punished you for bad spacing, rewarded you for good spacing and reading/conditioning the shield.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Yeah, you get punished less but the reward is almost none existent.

I want to think that perhaps the Smash team did this as an experiment because they thought that moves of this nature would be too strong against the new shield mechanics. We just need to keep bringing up this issue and perhaps they may reconsider giving it back some of it's power.

GreatGranpapy

Smash Rookie
Does Nintendo factor in community feedback all that much, because, while it would be nice if they reverted the change, I feel it's more likely they'll just forget about it.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Does Nintendo factor in community feedback all that much, because, while it would be nice if they reverted the change, I feel it's more likely they'll just forget about it.
They do factor in community feedback, if we go by what the players at the Smash invitational and what Sakurai in his interviews on Source Gaming have said; battle results play a role as well. Of course, they gotta be careful because you can always find scrubs who complain loudly about characters such as Link being OP.
I know that we don't all agree with everything done to balance the game but the Smash devs are more knowledgeable than people care to give them credit for. Let's just hope they don't forget about this, they've already reversed some of their previous decisions like giving back Luma some of it's health.

RorioPizazzle

Smash Rookie
Posts like these tend to belong in the actual character's threads instead of getting their own. . .
Oops, I didn't check where I was posting ^^

Yeah, you get punished less but the reward is almost none existent.

I want to think that perhaps the Smash team did this as an experiment because they thought that moves of this nature would be too strong against the new shield mechanics. We just need to keep bringing up this issue and perhaps they may reconsider giving it back some of it's power.
Agreed, I've noticed a few differences in play style and honestly I find myself acting like I would pre-patch. But I don't think we'll get any changes anytime soon.

Not to mention there's a 10-frame powershield window, and tipper or not, shield-breaker does not break powershields unless it's fully charged. that being said, not only do they have 19 frames to react, but even if they react a little late, it's still not hard to powershield it lol.
This. So much this

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
I find myself cringing at the almost broken shields that the nerf caused; I should have had so many shield breaks today...

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I've gotten a few shields broken as Marth, with the new Shieldbreaker...

Really, charging it only a bit is enough to break shields, often enough.

Or you could just dtilt into dancing blade (finish off with down hit) to break shields, but...

Nargacuga1212

Smash Rookie
NNID
Agnaktor1212
3DS FC
4313-2603-1601
I miss breaking shields with a Shield Breaker charged for like 30 frames.

Top Bottom