• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So PM Dev disbanded... What can we do as a community now?

Shon McCloud

Smash Rookie
NNID
Alphonsen
Well I was talking about PM with a friend till late yesterday and I woke up today hyped and hoping for new updates and was really disapointed when I entered the site and saw that notification.

So, some may guess PM is having issues with legal stuff and Nintendo's Lawyers. I'm one of those. I realized that when I commented about Project M having Mew2 after Greninja's announcement trailer at Miiverse and received a notification. My comment was deleted for piracy and I was pretty annoyed.

I guess everyone here now knows PMdev team disbanded. We may be interesting why it suddenly happened but I think it's nice to work out what we CAN do.

I was thinking about it right now and something just passed my mind:
—If we have problems with legal stuff in modding Smash Brows Brawl for legal stuff what is stoping from having Brawl Mods or even PM itself called "Super Smash Bros Brawl" and the original nintendo title being called "Vanilla Brawl"?—

We play PM but keep menu layouts as they were normally. Only adding a little version ID on some of the corners.

Well be playing Brawl and not a "pirate game" with any other name.

It couldn't hurt the law, I guess... Like, If I try to MAKE a sandwish with my Smash Bros Brawl copy which legal rights is being damaged?

That's my suggestion for the community. As of this we could keep playing the game we like so much and possibly, stream it again anywere. Why not?

And well, if an original Smash Bros Brawl copy is in use... there aren't reasons for complainments I, personaly, guess.

And if se like the different menus we can still use them localy as se EVER did.

That's my suggestion. I hope se can make a conversation on it and reach somewhere with it. If you find errors and have better suggestions, even if your suggestion is to simply forget it, say it and please expose your point of view and reasons. This way we can improve or at least do the best thing we can.

I really enjoy Project M as I enjoy all other Smash titles. (Even that S. Smash Flash, from McLeodg. and Rivals of Aether are really cool, that more organic fighting style is, for me at least, the real deal for the fighting game genre) this is for our own enjoyment as players and as a community. An worldwide community. This is a competitive game but the community itself is in a Co-op situation.

Thanx.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Edit*

So let me summarize it all to MAKE SURE my message was passed on:

> We keep everything but the new stages and UI for a "media friendly build" of the game. (We may only keep the build ID number (something like "BRAWL 3.6x" at options menu or results screen)

> We Call it Brawl just like the original on media. People on the scene will understand and new people will have no problem too.

> For our community interations (forums, guides, text conversations and stuff) we may Call it BRAWL (Caps on) and address brawl (Caps off) as of vanilla Brawl.

> We stream it, play it, make tornments with it and keep its meta and dedicated community going on with no legal restrictions (At least is what I think it's possible)

> Be thankful for PMDev and remember them even if some new team assume the project and
keep it's shape. But following those steps.

Last edited:

Komon

Smash Rookie
I think the community should come together and create a final build unassociated with PMDT. Give the game some blows and whistles and create a webpage to make it easily accessible, and solidify it as the main version. Call it 3.6+ or something. The game deserves a better send-off than this.

Paquito

Smash Journeyman
Just keep playing PM. Melee hasn't changed for over a decade, right? It still has bugs and issues. But it's an amazing game, so people keep playing it. No reason not to treat PM the same way. So long as weeklies continue to host PM, I'll be there.

Also, we really should make an effort to keep the code alive. Some trusted member of this community should make it available on a public torrent site. Share the magnet link over their twitter, and/or share the sizes and checksums for the relevant files so downloaders know they're getting the right files.

**Edit** Over twitter, or some other platform that's not Smashboards. If Nintendo is really being a bully here, we don't want to bring that wrath in this direction .

Last edited:

Octavium

''Fear doesn't stop death, it stops life.''
Your retina to your occipital lobe as you read.
Just keep playing PM. Melee hasn't changed for over a decade, right? It still has bugs and issues. But it's an amazing game, so people keep playing it. No reason not to treat PM the same way. So long as weeklies continue to host PM, I'll be there.

Also, we really should make an effort to keep the code alive. Some trusted member of this community should make it available on a public torrent site. Share the magnet link over their twitter, and/or share the sizes and checksums for the relevant files so downloaders know they're getting the right files.

**Edit** Over twitter, or some other platform that's not Smashboards. If Nintendo is really being a bully here, we don't want to bring that wrath in this direction .
I think Nintendo is to be more respected than this, they don't want to be hated and they understand that we like this mod. Kind of like how Blizzard was very tolerant at the time of the DOTA1 mod. The miiverse messages being deleted was likely because Nintendo didn't want to admit PM's existence, or else as a company they would need to take legal action in order to be taken seriously.

I see this as an opportunity, the game's meta will finally be able to breathe a bit, instead of being stomped by a balance patch as soon as it blooms. PM is now a game that'l stay consistent and beautiful in its immense speed and high technical skill cap.

It never gave up on us in those 6 long years of constantly working hard, its our turn to give back, its our turn to keep this game alive! Its not a time to be sad, its a time to plan this out, probably even host a new website for it!

(Professional looking download links: http://projectmirror.no-ip.org/ )

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Just because the game that brought us all together will no longer be kept up to date doesn't mean that we're suddenly gonna go our separate ways; PM hasn't suddenly ceased to exist.
tl;dr: Keep being a community, obviously.

Last edited:

BballLuke13

Smash Cadet
NNID
BballLuke13
3DS FC
5129-1952-0414
Melee has been out for 10+ years and people still play that. I don't see why the same can't happen for PM. Just keep encouraging people to play it, host tournaments for it, etc. As long as there's still tournaments and stuff, people will still play it.

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I think the community should come together and create a final build unassociated with PMDT. Give the game some blows and whistles and create a webpage to make it easily accessible, and solidify it as the main version. Call it 3.6+ or something. The game deserves a better send-off than this.
I agree with this, we have the leaked versions of knuckles and such right? fix olimars grabs. Leave every other character the same... add some nice music. Then let the meta develop.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Here's your options:
Play 3.6, have a unified community based around the most recent public build, work together to facilitate growth in your local and regional scenes. Survive for a really long time.
Attempt to update PM (Will only 1 group try to do this? Will 5? 10? How do we agree which to play?), encounter difficulty establishing a version that everyone agrees to play in tournament, further fragment/segment/divide an already comparatively underground & grassroots community, PM dies way faster than it normally would have.

Last edited:

Infinite

Smash Rookie
Here's your options:
Play 3.6, have a unified community based around the most recent public build, work together to facilitate growth in your local and regional scenes. Survive for a really long time.
Attempt to update PM (Will only 1 group try to do this? Will 5? 10? How do we agree which to play?), encounter difficulty establishing a version that everyone agrees to play in tournament, further fragment/segment/divide an already comparatively underground & grassroots community, PM dies way faster than it normally would have.
THIS.

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Here's your options:
I honestly vote for the 2nd option. If we don't act like barbarians and agree on a group to do such a thing then its doable. I honestly loved the direction that PM was going in.

I'm sorry that strongbad disagrees, but do we really think we are going to have 10 versions of PM "insert a number here"?

Isn't this game about fun and aren't we furthering ourselves as modders everyday?

If it doesn't work, we do have 3.6. Why not give it a shot? (after time passes)

Shon McCloud

Smash Rookie
NNID
Alphonsen
The big point I had in mind is to treat/call it as BRAWL and get rid of the title Project M for streaming, tournment and media. KINDA LIKE the netplay version wasnt allowed in Tournments. Se cut the custom UI and stages and stuff and call it Brawl. Them the game being brawl with no new title... I guess there would be no legal reason to knock it off streamings on twitch, vgboot or anywhere. And, for those who like it keep it to play localy. Se could call Vanilla Brawl and Brawl... Or like, Brawl and BRAWL so se can have both together not hurting any legal issues. As I tried to say. That's why I compared the "sandwish thing".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Edit*

So let me summarize it to MAKE sure my message was passed on:

> We keep everything but the new stages and UI for a "media friendly build" of the game. (We may only keep the build ID number (something like "BRAWL 3.6x" at options menu or results screen)

> We Call it Brawl just like the original on media. People on the scene will understand and new people will have no problem too.

> For our community interations (forums, guides, text conversations and stuff) we may Call it BRAWL (Caps on) and brawl (Caps off) as vanilla Brawl.

> We stream it, play it, make tornments with it and keep its meta and dedicated community going on with no legal restrictions (At least is what I think it's possible)

> Be thankful for PMDev and remember them even if some new team assume the project and
keep it's shape. But following those steps.

Last edited:

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Here's your options:
Basically this.

If people want PM to actually survive then unifying your community is #1 priority.

Shon McCloud

Smash Rookie
NNID
Alphonsen
Well, I did not sugest to keep modding it.

For me, the 3.6 is the deal for now on. Unless some group make some really exeptional work (like PM was by itself) and really gets recognized for it (like PM, again).

We always had LOTs of mods, but, we always knew the one for tournments was Project M. We had mods of this mod itself. Only the UI was changed between tournments if I'm right.

I DONT think people will massively accept something like that, AT LEAST RIGHT NOW. I hope people will let the meta evolve more as it was left in 3.6. This game is already way more ballanced than even the updated, DLC filled, Sm4sh game.

My only intention is to help our community by making it legal and streamable again. Make it something profitable for people again. We all know how much this affects popularity of any game. This is by no means a profit or greedy step. People have a limited life spam, they will spend it not only were it's fun but on it's more reasonable too, if there are options.

Last edited:

Paquito

Smash Journeyman
Here's your options:
If a group were to release a 3.7 that was *strictly* a bug-fix build, I don't think that would split the community.

Rawkobo

Smash Ace
If a group were to release a 3.7 that was *strictly* a bug-fix build, I don't think that would split the community.
It would need to be something more akin to "3.6 Community Bugfix" than "3.7" if it happened. "3.7" implies actual content release/balance, which is basically the big fear on the table right now.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Guys, the entire reason that they don't want people developing new versions of PM is because doing so might land the PMDT in serious **** with the team they've joined. They ended the mod for a reason; they're moving on to bigger and better things.

Fan-made builds are fine, but we're not going to be able to make a Project M 3.7 without seriously hurting the PMDT in the long run. And I don't know about you, but I don't feel like crippling an entire group's future endeavors simply because I couldn't tolerate them growing and moving on.

.alizarin

Smash Apprentice
User was warned for this post
I honestly vote for the 2nd option. If we don't act like barbarians and agree on a group to do such a thing then its doable. I honestly loved the direction that PM was going in.

I'm sorry that strongbad disagrees, but do we really think we are going to have 10 versions of PM "insert a number here"?

Isn't this game about fun and aren't we furthering ourselves as modders everyday?

If it doesn't work, we do have 3.6. Why not give it a shot? (after time passes)
THE EXISTENCE OF EVEN A SECOND BRANCH IS CAUSE FOR CONCERN BECAUSE IT WILL DIVIDE A COMMUNITY THAT IS ALREADY IN THE PROCESS OF A SERIOUS UNIFICATION ISSUE

THE ONLY WAY FOR THIS MASTURBATORY NONSENSE TO BE MORE HARMFUL WOULD BE IF THE DISTRIBUTED ABOMINATIONS CAME WITH COMPLIMENTARY SMALLPOX

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Olimar and link grab fixes would be all I would ask for honestly. I can work with a 3.6 bowser. His kit is bad but it's winnable

zpxociv

Smash Apprentice
Are we even allowed to talk about new mods in here now? My new thread about project Evolution was shot down instantly. They should sticky some discussion Do's and Don'ts for clarification instead of making posting here a trial-n-error affair.

reobebo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
luckyguy12
3DS FC
2406-5425-8285
The plot twist! Project M teams up with Nintendo for the new game called Melee HD!

Top Bottom