• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So my school is having a Smash Tournamnet

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
Only problem is that the posters give very little information about them. Doesn't say where sign-ups are, or even what game it will be, so I kind of assumed it would be Smash 4. It just says when the event is, and I just know the deadline to sign-up is Friday and admission is $5.

Well I'm not sure what to do.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Main options: Contact someone and ask, avoid it because it's largely unknown, or go and have fun.

Last edited:

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
Seeing as how little information is given about the event, I don't think I'll attend.

jojr123

Smash Cadet
NNID
jojr123
Is there anybody hosting who would know?

Last edited:

RoyMaBoy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Minecrafter620
3DS FC
0044-3464-8959
Last month, my high school held a SSB4 tournament, and it was pretty dang legit. Items were off, 1 on 1, 2-stock, and 5-minute matches, best 2 out of 3, a variety of different controllers, all fighters usable (except Lucas), and an amiibo prize. And a couple weeks ago, they had another one that was the same. Yeah, before I actually attended the tournaments, I though they would have items on and all that and it wouldn't be that competitive, but it really was.

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
Well I didn't go, and I'm glad I didn't. Turns out, it wasn't even Smash 4. Or even Melee or Project M.

It was Brawl. And items were on.

Last edited:

jojr123

Smash Cadet
NNID
jojr123
So were there even Gamecube controllers available, and if so, did anybody use them?

N7Kopper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
N7Kopper
3DS FC
2895-9534-7967
Well I didn't go, and I'm glad I didn't. Turns out, it wasn't even Smash 4. Or even Melee or Project M.

*Internally Cringes*
*insert Sans plaguing your life with incidental music here*

But, yeah. That sounds like a huge waste of money. No wonder they didn't tell anyone what was going on.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Jokes aside, was it hosted by the school's Gaming Club? If you were interested, you could have proposed for them to play Smash 4 and have a legitimate tournament by going over some rulesets, stage selections, etc.

Br0ken

Smash Rookie
Just pray to Daddy Sakurai that it isn't one of those coin game tourneys. I've witnessed my fair share of them.

Mr. Potatobadger

Smash Apprentice
Good luck... My school had a sm4sh tournament last year and it was 3 stocks, FD Only, best of 1, single elimination, and wiimotes only. I made it to grand finals having never used a wiimote to play before, but I ended up losing to someone who regularly plays with the wiimote.

Edit: Didn't realize you said you didn't go.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
In my school's media center today, there were some guys who brought in a Wii U and we're playing Smash huddled around the Gamepad.

I almost asked to join, but then I saw they were using Wii Remotes...

WITH NUNCHUCKS

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
Literally ran in to the same thing at my school today. There will be a Smash tourney, but version, ruleset, controller, and even location and contact info were all left out. Sigh...

I'm still practicing up just in case. There is gonna be prizes for first three finishers.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
On days where I feel like I could have run a tournament better as a TO, I look at the way amateurs handle it for on campus tournaments (seriously, I won one recently and I couldn't even win back the money I paid to enter for, and the rules were laughably bad to put it gently) and I feel 100% better about the way I handle our weeklies and monthlies.

Top Bottom