• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So Mewtwo got nerfed in 1.1.3...

Logan Richardson

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2337-5197-3219
Mewtwo's horizontal movement when using shadow ball in air has no been almost completely reduced to nothing. So now, rather than having that option open to him to recover and to mix up the opponent is now gone. I understand they did this to help people from gimping themselves, but still its not to the same degree as Little Macs side b'ing off the stage on release. Anyone have any further input?

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Mewtwo's horizontal movement when using shadow ball in air has no been almost completely reduced to nothing. So now, rather than having that option open to him to recover and to mix up the opponent is now gone. I understand they did this to help people from gimping themselves, but still its not to the same degree as Little Macs side b'ing off the stage on release. Anyone have any further input?
This is not a nerf... Before, it had some okay uses, but now it is rather good. The reduced KB allows for quicker follow-ups and gives SH SB viability, which with it's increased size makes it amazing for covering many options.

The biggest nerf on account of the reduced KB was that SB isn't quite as safe anymore, but it is still ridiculously safe in shield so that doesn't really matter.

It isn't really a nerf as much as a balancing. Before it was an ultra safe semi-mix-up kill option, now it is a safe move with both kill options, option coverage and follow up capabilities. I am personally loving the new SB.

Logan Richardson

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2337-5197-3219
This is not a nerf... Before, it had some okay uses, but now it is rather good. The reduced KB allows for quicker follow-ups and gives SH SB viability, which with it's increased size makes it amazing for covering many options.

The biggest nerf on account of the reduced KB was that SB isn't quite as safe anymore, but it is still ridiculously safe in shield so that doesn't really matter.

It isn't really a nerf as much as a balancing. Before it was an ultra safe semi-mix-up kill option, now it is a safe move with both kill options, option coverage and follow up capabilities. I am personally loving the new SB.
I didn't think about the follow up option it opened up for him. At first glance it looks like a nerf but when you put it that way I can see how it might help him in the long run.
Also do you happen to know what d-throw combos into for him? I can't get it to do anything at all.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Honestly, that recovery mix-up was pretty bad.
You were left vulnerable, and Confusion combined with Teleport was basically always the better option. Using SB can get you easily punished.

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
I'm really starting to think people just have some weird subconscious desire to see only Mewtwo's flaws and exaggerate any changes made to him in negative ways.

Can somebody please give me some footage of someone using Shadow Ball as a recovery mix-up? Is it really that useful? I honestly don't see the greatness in it like people keep claiming. I never really did it because it seemed unnecessary when Mewtwo has a plethora of different ways to mix-up his recovery already.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Bro he never got nerfed he got buffed his shadow ball yes dosent have as much recoil but you can recover all you do is side b>shadowball>jump>teleport

Sonicninja115

I didn't think about the follow up option it opened up for him. At first glance it looks like a nerf but when you put it that way I can see how it might help him in the long run.
Also do you happen to know what d-throw combos into for him? I can't get it to do anything at all.
Dthrow actually lost it's tech chase capabilities, however, it links pretty well into Usmash and it can still force a person onto a platform for the guaranteed kill, so it's not that bad. It links with aerials a bit better too.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Really, old SB recoil sucked. Being offstage without an opponent to gimp is never good, M2 can still get gimped himself sometimes!

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
tbh I've seen more peopled die becuz of the recoil, not recover with it

:150:

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I don't miss the massive recoil. It made doing anything after launching shadow ball a pain in the butt.

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
Using Shadow Ball to recover was always pointless to me. If Mewtwo is trying to recover, he's better off using Confusion and teleport.

It's safe on shield so the recoil was unnecessary.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
The recoil is iconic, it's just that it was excessive.

There still is some recoil left, of course, and I'm okay with that.

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
It was never really that useful to begin with, only if you wanted to look flashy by shooting him halfway across the stage then dairing an opponent.

So no, technically it wasn't a nerf as it was not vital in gameplay.

Kamtheman56

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kamtheman56
3DS FC
3222-6187-6285
I'll go ahead and help explain the entire situation with the whole "Shadow Ball Nerf". So what happened before was when releasing a Shadow Ball Mewtwo suffered a lot of recoil which we could use to lead into upsmash, on stage travel, and recovery right? Which all seemed helpful at the time but the issue with that was we couldn't reliably use Shadow Ball to combo into things from the air or even the ground since it still pushed him quite some distance along with Self Destructing which is always a negative. Now with that recoil reduced by a slight bit more than 3/4s of its original power now we are able to follow up with all kinds of things along with using it for Shield pressure and to go with combos/strings that weren't available to us before, along with being able to safely use it offstage and in the air without being sent too far backward. So for a quick synopsis of this what it entails is, While it's definitely a change and we loose some options along with that we also gain some options including more options than what was granted to us before so all in all it's neither a buff nor a nerf it's all up to how you decide to look at it.

And as always feel free to correct me if you feel I'm wrong.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
edit: Woops, posted in the wrong thread, please delete. D:

Last edited:

Mechaglacier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
purespade
Dthrow actually lost it's tech chase capabilities, however, it links pretty well into Usmash and it can still force a person onto a platform for the guaranteed kill, so it's not that bad. It links with aerials a bit better too.
mewtwo doesn't have any true down throw follow ups.

Sonicninja115

mewtwo doesn't have any true down throw follow ups.
Heeeey! It does.... At certain percent windows, Dthrow can force people onto Platforms. Depending on the character it might be true. (I haven't tested it much, but no one has been able to escape it so far) what happens is that they are forced onto the platform, and whatever happens, Usmash can hit them easily. Tech in place, Usmash. roll right, Usmash. Roll Left, Usmash. It is just dependent on a minor reaction.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Also, another thing.

When I was being chased offstage before the patch, I would chuck a Fully Charged SB at them so their edge guarding attempts would be ruined and they would take a lot of damage. Thing about it is, when I did that, it pushed me near to the blast zone, so it made it more unsafe to recover.

Because of the patch, this got buffed a bit.

Top Bottom