• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So Just How Viable is Footstooling?

rabbit.soaring

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rabbit.soaring
3DS FC
0130-2883-3067
I was watching this video( h t t p : / / w w w . y o u t u b e . c o m / w a t c h ? v = e X T t 6 z n 1 c B Y ), and around 5:14, you can see Strong Bad footstool TLOC Denti( h t t p : / / w w w . s s b w i k i . c o m / F o o t s t o o l _ J u m p ). Just how viable is this in general? According to the ssb wiki, one can footstool multiple times, so I was thinking characters with multiple jumps(Metaknight), or great vertical recovery(Villager), could do this multiple times to almost guarantee a KO. I know this isn't really new, but what do you guys think of this? Sorry for the weird links, I'm new and below ten points, so I can't post them. Just delete the spaces and it should be fine.

Last edited:

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
It's very rarely useful and is generally done on accident in my experience, but it can be used for edge-guarding quite effectively. Also, if I remember correctly, the tumble after being footstooled can't be teched out of when you land on the ground, but I might be wrong.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
As Yahooda said it's mostly done by accident. As one wrong move could easily make you be the one dying.

rabbit.soaring

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rabbit.soaring
3DS FC
0130-2883-3067
Thanks for responding. But does that make footstooling unviable? It still seems like a good way to get early KO's for characters without good spiking options.

Ghoti

Smash Cadet
Thanks for responding. But does that make footstooling unviable? It still seems like a good way to get early KO's for characters without good spiking options.
I have seen a few KOs in this game because of footstooling. Can see characters like Kirby, Meta Knight, and other characters with more than two jumps, chasing their opponents offstage, then footstooling them.

DougX

Smash Champion
My Super Secret Underwater Volcano Lair in Space
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
I have seen a few KOs in this game because of footstooling. Can see characters like Kirby, Meta Knight, and other characters with more than two jumps, chasing their opponents offstage, then footstooling them.
Don't forget Luigi, he did invent footstool jumping after all. x3 (Points for anyone if they get the reference)

At the original post, the move is pretty situational as you have to be in the right position at the right time to do it properly, but if it lands, then it is pretty satisfying as it can totally screw over the opponent's recovery potentially... Plus it just looks funny.

rabbit.soaring

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rabbit.soaring
3DS FC
0130-2883-3067
Okay, thanks for answering everyone. What do you think of footstooling's potential uses onstage? Characters seem to tumble for a fair amount of time. So I can see hard hitting characters footstooling and then using a powerful move to KO early.

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
Okay, thanks for answering everyone. What do you think of footstooling's potential uses onstage? Characters seem to tumble for a fair amount of time. So I can see hard hitting characters footstooling and then using a powerful move to KO early.
Footstooling someone onto the stage can be pretty easy to follow up after the opponent lands, it gives them a lot of lag

Hitzel

Smash Ace
So far it seems like footstooling doesn't spike very far and gives the enemy their third jump, so I don't feel like it's worth the risk.

rabbit.soaring

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rabbit.soaring
3DS FC
0130-2883-3067
Hitzel-So far it seems like footstooling doesn't spike very far and gives the enemy their third jump, so I don't feel it's worth the risk.
I was thinking characters like Jigglypuff and Bowser Jr. would want to know how to footstool. Jigglypuff would vector downwards and repeatedly land on the opponent, then jump back up(Jigglypuff lacks a way to kill downwards otherwise), and Bowser Jr. could footstool once, then Up Special while the opponent is tumbling to ensure a KO and recover, since other wise it could be hard to land in the air. Smash cancels could be a problem, though.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
It's best to attack after footstooling by meteor smashing them, Other than that it's pretty useless.

rabbit.soaring

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rabbit.soaring
3DS FC
0130-2883-3067
RedFlyNinja - See what I said about Bowser Jr. a few posts back. And in the OP, I was asking if characters with great recovery and no good meteor options could footstool repeatedly for the KO(Jigglypuff).

Raijinken

Smash Master
I've seen it done to pretty good success while edgeguarding some characters. But I don't have the game yet (I'll finally be able to stop saying that in five days, woo hoo), so I can't really speak personally on it.

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
I don't know about anyone else, but just from the demo I wish I could turn footstooling off.

Somehow as Mario I do it at least once a fight on stage which sends my uselessly high in the air. The more dash attack happy my opponent is, the more likely I accidentally do it. Since most dash attacks have deliciously punishable end lag, it sticks to stool them off their dash and be so high there's not enough time to follow up.

rabbit.soaring

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rabbit.soaring
3DS FC
0130-2883-3067
It's not viable. Expect an U-Air or recovery move.
Wouldn't the same logic apply to spiking? Could you be a bit more detailed in your response? I want to know if characters without spiking options could footstool as an alternative to spiking.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Wouldn't the same logic apply to spiking? Could you be a bit more detailed in your response? I want to know if characters without spiking options could footstool as an alternative to spiking.
spiking is much much quicker though. Footstooling you can actually react decently fast to. IMO.
Plus, people have been able to recover to Meteor Smashes. It is just really really hard.

rabbit.soaring

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rabbit.soaring
3DS FC
0130-2883-3067
OK, that makes sense. So with how spammable airdodging is, what do characters like :4jigglypuff: do when the opponent gets into position to recover vertically?

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I personally don't see footstooling being too useful offstage but maybe that's just me.

On stage, however, I think it can be used to set up lock combos. As of my understanding this was its primary use in high-level Brawl play. If you can use it to set up locks, then I'd say it's viable for that reason alone.

Last edited:

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
Footstooling a Little Mac is completely and utterly viable. I don't know about other characters in the cast.

Top Bottom