• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I've been interested in playing a MOBA

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
Problem is, I have never played a MOBA before in my life, so I'll ask you guys;

What game would I want to start with?

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I say it comes down to a few factors:
1) How long do you want one game to last?
2) How much BS you're willing to deal with?
3) Can you find anyone to play with?

If you're cool with playing games that can take +45mins, many times +60mins, then I'd say DotA 2 wins. But if you preferred something shorter, as in being able to do 3 - 4 matches done in an hour Heroes of the Storm (HotS). And League is somewhere inbetween.

2) I don't know too much about HotS, so I'm not sure how much BS there is, but I'm certain that no matter how much it has, League and Dota have way more, with Dota having the most. DotA is basically bull**** the game and the harder you're losing, the worst it feels because the winning team just becomes a gradually growing snowball.

3) Most important part, MOBAs are a hell of a lot more fun if you have people to play with, otherwise they could just be a frustrating mess.

Edit: Forgot that I didn't answer your question.

If you're cool with long games and BS that admittedly can be super fun if you're winning, DotA 2.
If you'd prefer shorter games that aren't as stressful, HotS
If you want to play DotA but with less BS, then League.

Last edited:

BlushFactory

Smash Cadet
As fun as MOBA's "can" be, I will warn you its more Anger than Fun.

But if i had to pick one, Awesomenauts hands down. Its not hard to figure out and requires alot less time to dedicate to.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I would start with League of Legends. I've played most every MOBA game and in my opinion, that one is the easiest to pickup and learn to play. Dota 2 is also really good, but I would recommend league. Both games are free to play.

ixos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
coolniceae27
3DS FC
2766-9576-6857
I started playing MOBAs by playing Heroes of the Storm with a few friends of mine. I think its a good game to start out with to get a feel for the basics of MOBAs, you get the experience of learning to team and somewhat of the roles you play on the team. That, and you don't have to deal with items, you just have to deal with learning your character well enough to select which abilities get which buffs. The games usually take around 20 minutes or less. You gain levels with your team, so you don't have to worry about solo farming at all really.

Alice Margatroid

Doll Judgement
As someone who's played both for years. Go with Dota 2, as it stands League is just a mess at the moment. In Dota 2 not only do you get every character when you first start out but there's so many more features that are included in the game compared to League and most of them are free.

I will warn you though, Dota 2 takes a very long time to become good at, and while in my opinion I think it's worth it, it's not for everyone.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'd suggest DotA myself, the biggest reason being that you have every character unlocked from the start, instead of having to hope you like the free characters that are available that week or grind for ages to unlock one/pay money.

DotA also has a much better client. In LoL, if you want to watch replays, your own or others, you have to download a second client, while DotA doesn't. Dota also has the ability to play custom maps (again, free) which the community is making things from Tower defense, king of the hill, horde maps, Epic Boss fights, RPGs, dungeon crawlers, and there's work on making an RTS too.

The games themselves usually go for about 40 mins on average, so they do take a bit of an investment, but I think it's worth it. As you get everything important for free, Id suggest giving it a try.

Last edited:
Top Bottom