• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So it's been almost 2 months...your thoughts on Brawl/Melee?

ChronoTrigga

Smash Apprentice
I was wondering everyone's thoughts on Brawl now? I'll admit it, I didn't like the fact that they changed alot of stuff in Brawl. But I got used to it...and am now the best in my area (town, not region lol...not ready for the big leagues yet, I think). The physics in the game are still too floaty for my tastes, I still prefer melee's physics over it, but I still use the floatiness to my advantage alot now. I still hate brawls fan item, it's way too over****ingpowered. But other than that, I'll admit it, Brawl is an overall better game. But still has nothing on the speed and intensity of Melee. Keep in mind, I like fast past, heart exploding action. I've gotten used to the new game that it's starting to get faster like melee. But not fast enough. So yeah, what I'm saying is Brawl is better than it was 2 months ago.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
I'm going to come out and say I didn't really enjoy Melee much, I found it dull compared to all the color Brawl seems to have. Plus I'm a bit photosensitive and tend to lose sight of my characters on the screen and my eyes get red easily, so the slowing down is something I really like and enjoy. Besides, one of the reasons I go to Nintendo and not Microsoft is cause I like the slow adventure Nintendo supplies instead of the hot-paced action I associate with the Xbox360 and the like.

So IMO, Brawl > Melee.

Except for the theme music. Brawl's theme music is just so... tacky. Melee's was better. :lick:

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Melee is still better. If anything Brawl is just unbalancing itself with the discovery of better chaingrabs and things like Snake's dash attack to up smash. If you don't believe me just try playing Bowser against a Dedede who knows how to chaingrab him. Failure. If you still insist it's more balanced just take a look at the character rankings where Snake and Metaknight are dominating the top. It's still slow by comparison and just not anywhere near as intense.

epic of DE

Smash Journeyman
Newark, DE (only a mile from University of Delawar
For casual play I would probably say that brawl is the better when compared to melee as anyone can pick it up and at least have fun playing it (and possibly win with items and luck). That said, brawl has yet to develop into a deep and intricate fighting game that melee is right now. While granted, its been only two months and little things pop up here and there for some characters nothing has revolutionized the game.

Melee is still the better right now in regards to competitive and feeling that you have "skill" when you use and master a character. The amount you need to think about in a match when against a skilled player is a rush (for me anyway) as you need to predict what they'll do but also what they'll do after that. Both games aren't balanced and in some cases still carry over the same problems in terms of character hit box problems (looks at marth). I won't lie, I used Falcon and Gdorf in melee and still do in brawl but I am rather disapointed in the effort put into falcon as he seems like they are trying to shift him out of the series with his drastic down-grade from his previous persona's (ssb64/melee) as his ability to combo has been damaged with the games physics.

*whew* well those are my thoughts on it

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I'm going to say that you could look at any of the other 300+ topics of this. Why make a new topic?

I like Brawl better now, and I liked it better when it first came out.

Ørion

Smash Ace
It annoys me that people insist that brawl is so much slower than melee. Yes, it is a little slower, but people just started playing and do not have the experience that seven years playing melee brought. Its starting to speed up, and I think people should not judge the game until the meta-game is better developed.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Brawl is fun. Less fun when playing competitively, though.

Doubles is going nicely, various kinds of teams are winning. The entire metagame seems relatively balanced here, with skill definitely showing over most other things.

I dislike the present singles metagame. Playing defensively is, as it was in Melee, the strongest tactic, but there's far less ability to punish a defensive player now. It slows down the overall pace of the game, to a point which I feel is too slow.

I dislike the present balance in terms of character selection. Anyone who tells you this game is balanced is lying. There are still broken characters, and though the selection of excellent characters is twice as big, so is the selection of characters that aren't doing well at all in a tournament setting.

Roller

Smash Legend
If someone was to tell you there would be a sidescrolling nintendo game with over 30 famous nintendo characters you would probably say, that's awesome! and buy it. Brawl throws that in as a BONUS. Plus the amount of unlockable content greatly increased. A lot of the new maps are good. And now your name can be 5 letters...YAY! Plus brawl has online, horrible online, yes. However having a bad online that can actually be fine if you and the person you're playing have good connections is much better than having no online at all.

Brawl wins. QQ

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
I'm liking Brawl a lot more right now. I never got into competitive Melee because I couldn't really handle the fast button pressing required to do stuff, so Brawl's slower combat is awesome for me, because I like to have time to think. >_>;

I also like playing as Pikachu again, after experiencing the crappy version in Melee. Toon Link was just the improvement I wanted from Young Link. Pokemon Trainer was an amazing addition that has a special place in my heart (see Pokemon Trainer forum). In addition to the music and online, I couldn't ask for anything else.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
Melee is still better. If anything Brawl is just unbalancing itself with the discovery of better chaingrabs and things like Snake's dash attack to up smash.
First you guys want combos, then you don't.

Originally, I thought Brawl was still unbalanced as hell. Now that I can see DeDeDes and Kirbys kicking the ***** of Marths and Falcos, I rightly enjoy it.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
First you guys want combos, then you don't.

Originally, I thought Brawl was still unbalanced as hell. Now that I can see DeDeDes and Kirbys kicking the ***** of Marths and Falcos, I rightly enjoy it.
Balance doesn't have to pertain to characters. Anyways, chaingrabs aren't "true" combos according to many. You have to be in the community a little longer to understand what I mean.

Riolu

Smash Apprentice
I like Brawl better. Now and when it first came out. Not that I didn't like Melee, but there's something about Brawl that satisfies me better than Melee.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I will say that the music in Brawl is freaking amazing. My favorite part of the entire game is going through and listening to all the old music and the new remixes. That's a definite plus from Melee (the music was good in that there just wasn't as much.)

And the problem with some of the chaingrabs coming up is that they're ridiculously easy to do and completely inescapable. In Melee, a good Fox player could escape from Marth's chaingrab if he used DI to try to fool them making it difficult for Marth to continue the chaingrab. Dedede's chaingrab on Bowser is ridiculously easy and as of yet is completely inescapable. And then of course there are wall infinites which are also stupidly easy whereas in Melee Fox's infinite wall shine atleast took some technical skill to pull off. A combo is only worth something if it actually takes some skill to do (and even then I'm usually slightly opposed to true combos.)

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Brawl ends up just as unbalanced as Melee is in time.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Brawl ends up just as unbalanced as Melee is in time.
True, but so far I haven't noticed any major difference in the casual play. Meanwhile in Melee my sister was a Marth mainer and... yeah. Pain in the *** there.

Certain characters only seem overpowered because they're the newcomers and everyone's dying to try them out in the first few months, of course they become the most used.

N-Plus

Smash Cadet
Havent played Melee ( or any other game) aicne March 9. I have no real desire to play melee other then to compare it to Brawl. Brawl is superior in every way ( except maybe Presentation) and i think people honestly need to shut up about Melee.

It annoys me that people insist that brawl is so much slower than melee. Yes, it is a little slower, but people just started playing and do not have the experience that seven years playing melee brought. Its starting to speed up, and I think people should not judge the game until the meta-game is better developed.
I don't know if you should bare arms with that statement, because they game is obviously slower, even on a casual level. Meta-game development for melee progressed with a small community (Unlike the one we have today). After playing Melee yesterday, all of my casual playing friends came to the conclusion that Brawl is much slower than Melee.

And for Christ sake, don't throw out the word "meta-game" unless you have a full understanding of what it means. Brawls meta-game right now currently is nearly at ground Zero, where characters with projectiles (and Meta Knight) have a biased advantage over many other characters. This game is balanced; where it is limited.

By reducing the amount of actions you can take out against an opponent, your dimensions of play are limited to who can hit the opponent and get away with it quicker than the other. Through this, the game is caught in a perpetual circle of being able to get more hits than the other player. This is the essence of Brawls balance; all characters are limited. Options only exist within the plethora of dimensions currently handed to you.

Now for something about the SSE. It played just like Kirby Superstar. I could have gone without it. That's it.

My opinion on Brawl? I love it, as a fun game, but I can't love it as anything else. Narrow skill gap, slower game play, awful physics system (No inertia?) and an unbearable emphasis on catering to random variables (tripping included). This still won't stop competitive play from existing, but it won't make it that successful. Do I have better hopes for this game? Not really. Nintendo has my money in their wallet, so they could care less after he initial sale of the game.

I miss the competitive action of Melee. Things like OC3 are only gonna happen in Melee, and they're staying in Melee IMO. Even if the meta-game could advanced with this intentionally dumbed down and hampered game, it still won't make it as amazing as melee was.

It may be rare for me saying this, but I liked the demo version of Brawl above the final product. At least it had some learning curve.

BlargCow

Smash Journeyman
They are both great. I have more fun playing brawl but learning to l-cancel and wavedash somewhat affectively have gone to waste. :(

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
Well, first off, I think both games are great.
However, I feel that melee was a lot more intense.

1.) I can not play melee while leaning back. I don't know why, or if it's just me. Watching some tournaments makes me feel that some pros have this trait, too. They're all leaning forward in their seats. When I play Brawl, I sink into my couch and get really lazy.

2.) My fingers are actually doing things! So after Brawl came out, I played it constantly until 2 weeks ago. I didn't play any other games. 2 weeks ago, however, I popped the melee disc in and played that for an hour or so. My most startling realization was not the graphics or the characters or the physics engine. It was that my fingers had to do so much more. I naturally l-cancel all aerials and wavedash usefully and consistently (along with all the other techs like jump-cancel grabs, etc.), so my fingers were actually moving a lot more than in Brawl.

3.) All of the impressive stuff. Maybe I've been conditioned to think a certain way, but I have a set opinion in smash about what is truly impressive and what's not. Brawl just doesn't have those "OMGWTF how'd he do that!?" moments. It has some "OMG what just happened" moments, like the first time I air tripped or when I got magically teleported by a pika d-smash to somewhere below the stage or when I saw toon link's OHKO dsmash. But Melee has those moments where you just step back and say "Wow, that guy is good." Like the first time I pulled off a tapion, or the first time I saw darkrain combo. Melee has more of those "wow" moments than Brawl does.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I like Brawl more than melee I'm better at brawl i like the physics better it's just a better game to me.

TRUXOFF

Smash Cadet
The series is getting progressively worse, 64 > Melee > Brawl.
I hope the next smash bros is just a port of 64.

J18

Smash Journeyman
i definitely like brawl more.
i'm new to this community, i joined when i found out about brawl =].
i was never in the smash community with melee, and i had no idea there was a community like this.
so i guess you could say i'm a child of the brawl era.

Top Bottom