• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So, is Wii Fit Trainer Better Currently?

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
So with the recent (and awesome) new update, I've been hearing that Wii Fit Trainer is better. So I came here to get your guys' opinion. I would assume that Wii Fit Trainer still has flaws, but with these new changes, I've begun getting second thoughts. I've been wanting to main Wii Fit Trainer every since I first got ahold of Smash Brothers., but I wasn't too satisfied with her play style at the time. With the changes and all, would you recommend me and anybody else to pick him/her up again?

~Thanks!

Last edited:

Kikaioh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ParkourSquid
3DS FC
4055-4356-1945
So far I don't think her playstyle has changed drastically from the update, save for a few new options that now seem to be available and her overall resilience improving quite a bit more. If you weren't generally a fan of how she played before the patch, I'm not sure the patch would necessarily change your mind --- however, I do think for people who enjoy her playstyle, it feels like she's become more viable and given a bit more mix-up to her existing play. As an extra thought to throw in, although Wii Fit Trainer has an unconventional playstyle compared to some of the more traditional characters in the game, I think once you wrap your brain around it it's very enjoyable, and kind of cathartic too (everytime she does the deep breathing I feel like my mental focus is refreshed lol).

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
I feel like yes, a lot actually. Her main problem for me was not being able to hit short characters and now her grab can even grab a crouching Kirby. She didn't need the damage and knockback nerfs aside from Dsmash but it was nice. Seeing a Dsmash kill at 80% is a beautiful sight.

Header Canceling gives her a great mix-up and makes her more technical. She also have a ball covering her when she wants to approach. That was a great buff.

You should definitely pick her up. Her hitboxes might take a while to get used to, but it's worth it. Trust me

Last edited:

⑨ball

Smash Ace
If you didn't enjoy her playstyle before, you're probably not going to like her now. All of her buffs really just help her do what she was already doing better. She's still very footsies, precision and counterplay heavy. It's just she can deal with the cast easier now thanks to hitbox adjustments and lag reductions.

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
The healing from throwing a fully charged Sun Salutations being doubled will go a long way I think. It further rewards the thing she is best at. The Cancelled Header being easier to hit might add a new option for poking as well. Overall though, her playstyle is unchanged...just made slightly better than how it was before.

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
To me, Wii Fit Trainer was a character that was a bit unpredictable. While some options were great (Ftilt, Bair, Dair), some were just wonky or unreliable (Fsmash, Usmash, Fair, Uair).

All this patch did was make her more consistent in her playstyle. I'm landing hard Fsmash punishes now without worrying about it whiffing somehow. I count on Uair to juggle as often as I trust Nair to juggle. I've gotten much better at landing the meteor of Fair. All of these were things I had never imagined at first play.

Honestly, this feels a lot like that patch early 2015/late 2014 that gave Shulk a million buffs. And I like it, because hey, WFT desperately needed these buffs.

So suffice to say, yes; I do believe WFT is much better due to her consistency now. If missing hits that should've landed strayed you away, try WFT again. However, she is still the same that she's always been. She just drinks the tears of non projectile users now to heal herself.

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
I appreciate everyone's responses, and I've decided to take up the baton and invest some time learning his/her play style for the sake of it. This isn't the first time I've "played a character I didn't like but ended up thoroughly using them and turned out liking them," cliche. I used to dislike Fox's, Ness', and Pikachu's play styles until I dedicated time learning them, and, as a result, all three take room in my mains list! Maybe it's time I do the same for Wii Fit Trainer; after all, I've wanted to main her since the beginning.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
The buffs are nice, but that still doesn't change the fact that he's super technical and still has some flaws.

These buffs remind me of Charizards. They are generous, but the character still has several flaws.

Ike, meta knight and Falco buffs were able to put Ike, meta knight and Falco on the map more, because they got great buffs. Wii fit may get more buffs in the future, because I honeysly doubt wiifit will start topping, or there's gonna be a sudden surge of Wii fit mains from this.

Caterpillor

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5455-9928-7747
Yep WFT has good and needed buffs but this doesn't change her playstyle and all the flaws which are related.
I'm very glad they fixed f-smash and grab because bad MUs against tiny characters are more winnable.

However I think this update has made a MU even worse : Villager. With the ball staying longer on field, Villager can pocket the ball back and throw it again. You're forced to dodge it if you don't want to be harassed ! This is aside all of Villager's movest which basically cripples WFT very bad. She just can't recover safely at all.

⑨ball

Smash Ace
I count on Uair to juggle as often as I trust Nair to juggle. I've gotten much better at landing the meteor of Fair. All of these were things I had never imagined at first play.
Fair and Uair didn't have hitbox modifications so your new consistency with fair and uair don't have anything to do with her changes aside from maybe placebo confidence.

However I think this update has made a MU even worse : Villager. With the ball staying longer on field, Villager can pocket the ball back and throw it again. You're forced to dodge it if you don't want to be harassed ! This is aside all of Villager's movest which basically cripples WFT very bad. She just can't recover safely at all.
The villager mu is going to get better for sure. Villager doesn't want the ball. He especially doesn't want the ball when a character that can put on 60+ damage from nair is running behind it waiting for him to even think about pocket. He wants the fully charged sun, but can't pocket both, and they both cancel each other out. Thanks to the absurd range of pocket, you can essentially charge, jab header approach and capitalize on whatever option he picks now. Or SS and only move in behind header to cancel it out or lessen the blow.

Also recovering is no more difficult for WFT than it is for Villager. If you save your jump you should have little to no issues recovering due to the disjoint on uair and the low priority on bowling ball and tree(you'll clank right through them). Aerials are dealt with the same way you would everyone elses.

Last edited:

Caterpillor

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5455-9928-7747
Didn't know you could clank the falling projectiles with up air :O
Thanks for the advice !

I'll try to use jab header to bait the pocket too.

I don't think the Villager does't want the header. It gives a fast projectile which deals 18%.

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
When a harder hitting projectile that can't get knocked back by any attack is at play, Villager really does not want the header. Villager main I practice against will always shield Header instead of pocketing it because he knows I'm trying to bait him into losing access to a FCSS.

Top Bottom