• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I'm just about to lose my mind...

Kayn

Smash Cadet
I want to make Pichu my main(or at least my main alt) so I've been practicing with him becease I know he's low teir. I wanted to ask the more experienced Pichu players on this forum some question on his attacks and closing.
I try to edgegaurd with Pichu using his fsmash but sometimes(more often than not) it hits but doesn't have any knock back and my opponent is able to get back onto the stage. What's wrong? It seems to me that every part of the attack is connecting so the sweetspot should be hitting him as well. Is there a better way to edgegaurd than fsmash?
I also wanted to know how you close to get Pichu in distance to grab. So far I've only been able to sheild grab but thats only a few times. It certainly isn't as much as I'd like. So how would I go about closing the distance between my opponent and myself?

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
Try using fmash later so the final hit comes faster before they DI out of it

T0MMY

Smash Master
1) Your opponent is probably DI'ing out of your F-smash. It happens.
Usually they don't recover because you should have enough time to attack again and keep them off.
Try using a D-tilt instead. It doesn't damage you and it is a soft hit so they won't be able to Tech, also the they are usually sent at a downward angle, so be quick to slide over and edgehog (N-air them back down if they can get over you onto the stage)

2)U-tilt -> grab
N-air -> grab
F-air -> grab
Quick Attack Dash -> Grab
mindgame -> grab

3) Don't main Pichu, he sucks.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
main whoever you want. I've played some sick Pichus.

fsmash isn't too good for edgeguarding, its extremely easy to DI, even if they get hit by the strong part...plus it hurts you

try dash dancing or using shffled arials into your grabs, pichu's fast enough

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
what I think they meant to say was don't main pichu with hopes of doing well compeditively... unless you are going to reinvent pichu or something. Pichu does suck, but it's the "why bother" mindset that holds people back, not the character... kinda...

superkong53

Smash Cadet
pichu is a good fighter if you know how to use him. i usually use a-neutral with shffl cancel alot so my opponents cant counter it has failed yet.

ye25

Smash Journeyman
Get a couple lvls and evolve into pikachu. Its better

T0MMY

Smash Master
main whoever you want. I've played some sick Pichus.

fsmash isn't too good for edgeguarding, its extremely easy to DI, even if they get hit by the strong part...plus it hurts you

try dash dancing or using shffled arials into your grabs, pichu's fast enough
Bad advice saying main whoever you want. Good advice: don't main Pichu :grin:

F-Smash is good for edge-guarding... this is Pichu we're talking about. And, no, it's not that easy to DI, because if you DI out of it when being edge-guarded you will fall down, and if you're a fast-faller, you're going do fall down quickly. Someone like Captain Falcon or Falco might find themselves KO'd because they'll probably be Fast-falling if they're DI'ing down. And on stages like Battlefield the edges are tricky to get back to, so they might get caught under it. Even if they make it back up you'll have time to hit them again.
My advice is not to use the F-smash against Fox & Falco's Forward+B, sure you can do it, but it's just easier and more effective to use the D-tilt because it comes out quicker and sends them downward instead of upward and giving them plenty of DI opportunity.

So, don't disregard the F-smash for edge-guard, use it when you can (like any attack). You can even get N-airs and D-airs for edge-guards if you time it right.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Something I learned yesterday which seems to work well. WD back to grab the edge, and very quickly (while you're still invincible) jump and Bair. This worked flawlessly against a Marth I was playing. And not a scrubby player either. Just a scrubby Marth. lol

But against anyone with disjointed recovery (or any recovery that outranges F-Smash) I say this is a better option.

jwkirby64

Smash Journeyman
Slow walk (tilt the control stick really tiny like) so that pichu is shuffling across the floor. It looks like he's moving fast but he's not!!! den from there you can dash backwards for an attack or keep going!!! It's MINDGAMES!!! its fun but dont use in competitive situations (unless you're 3 stocking the guy of course)

T0MMY

Smash Master
I pretty much invented that mindgame. Windup Toy and when they get near enough, just flick the C-stick over and F-smash them. I don't know how it works, but I know it does.
And, yes, I use this lame mindgame in serious tournaments, I think it's in that video of mine at OC3.

Edit: Delphiki, that is a good technique. I usually use N-airs, I don't know why... maybe you would know if B-airs are better? Which angle are they hit back, is the hitbox bigger, how fast does it come out? But I can say N-airs do their job as well.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
I think Nair comes out faster, but Bair has a tiny bit more range since he flattens himself as he does it. And I'm not sure but I think Nair sends them up a bit more than Bair. I was mostly using Bair because I saw Jihnsius using it, but I'm starting to like that tiny bit of extra range. I still think Nair is better for comboing, of course.

T0MMY

Smash Master
maining low tier is the worst idea since the invention of a dvd rewinder.
Spoken like a true Bowser main.
Gimpy, the legendary.

k, so I'll switch over to using the B-air from the ledge to edge-guard and note differences.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Are you going to buy my Pichu DVD?
Bonus features, only $19.99 - high quality vids.

Top Bottom