• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I'm going to be working for a magazine... With Nintendo

pokémoneinstein

Smash Cadet
Link to original post: So I'm going to be working for a magazine... With Nintendo

You all, no doubt, know that Nintendo Power is ending. Well, I've been recruited to be an editorialist for what started as a fan effort to replace it, and soon became a collaboration with the Big N! We've got the rights to the Nintendo and and we've got a partnership in which we'll be getting exclusive content and whatnot that once belonged to Nintendo Power. Essentially, we're prolonging NP's legacy, and with Nintendo's help., this is becoming a very legitimate process.

But the thing is, we still need to be funded on Kickstarter. If anybody could contribute for the sake of donation, that would be great, but the real incentive to contribute (aside from the prizes) is that you'll see a new life breathed into Nintendo's magazine efforts through Pure Nintendo Magazine.

Of course, this isn't just a plug, I'm also looking forward to discussing the relative merits with you guys. What do you all think?

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Do you really think magazines are a viable medium for gaming journalism nowadays?

I'm just curious because I've pretty much felt that with the onset of broadband, magazines were slowly being phased out. I do think it's sad because I did enjoy my glossy gaming montlies, but at the same time one can't beat the convenience of getting all the latest scoops and rumours online for free.

I'm just curious for your thoughts, don't mean to be a total bummer or anything even if that's how it comes off.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I'd much rather see an internet magazine. It's cool to have a normal magazine but there's a reason NP has gone downhill.
edit: I just read your KS page and you guys are going digital which is awesome!

I might just subscribe when this gets running, and good luck dudes.

pokémoneinstein

Smash Cadet
@Teran: No, but I think it does have its own benefits. Physical copies, for example, just mean a lot to me in terms of collecting. And magazines offer a lot in terms of formatting and chronicling that websites often don't achieve. Likewise, I think the internet has a lot of advantages, in terms of immediacy, hyperlinking, etc. They both have their ups and downs. I'm already an internet journalist, and it's going to stay that way even after promotion to PNM (which is going to be released both physically and digitally), so I'm perfectly happy.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Link to original post: [drupal=5398]So I'm going to be working for a magazine... With Nintendo[/drupal]

You all, no doubt, know that Nintendo Power is ending. Well, I've been recruited to be an editorialist for what started as a fan effort to replace it, and soon became a collaboration with the Big N! We've got the rights to the Nintendo and and we've got a partnership in which we'll be getting exclusive content and whatnot that once belonged to Nintendo Power. Essentially, we're prolonging NP's legacy, and with Nintendo's help., this is becoming a very legitimate process.

But the thing is, we still need to be funded on Kickstarter. If anybody could contribute for the sake of donation, that would be great, but the real incentive to contribute (aside from the prizes) is that you'll see a new life breathed into Nintendo's magazine efforts through Pure Nintendo Magazine.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/purenintendo/pure-nintendo-magazine

Of course, this isn't just a plug, I'm also looking forward to discussing the relative merits with you guys. What do you all think?
That sounds really awesome actually.

Relative merits? if you had input in to smash 4 that would be the best thing in the world hahaha. :D

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Physical copies of magazines are a pain in the *** for me to store and more often than not like 9/10ths of the news in there is **** I've already heard. On top of that most of the writing just makes me go ._. because game journalism is kind of a joke.

Not trying to dis I'm just expressing the feelings I get when I think about gaming magazines. I mean when I was a kid and not really wise with the computer and/or not allowed to use it the articles really gave me a view on stuff I'd otherwise be ignorant to but now it's just kinda eh. I think the best way to make it viable is to take it online and push more opinion articles with high quality writing over news and what news you have should be exclusives. Pretty sure the big stories game informer lands is one of the few things that keeps them viable because **** all if I care about those reviews loooool.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
The magazine looks pretty slick, and going digital is obviously a smart choice in this day and age.
The only downside that I could see would be the fact it only publishes every 2 months (I assume).

I've been out of the loop with gaming mags for years, but would the magazine be focused on older news, current news, or future announcements and exclusive reveals etc.? A good thing to keep in mind is what would your audience want to read/would they know already. For example if next year the magazine is published the month after E3, would E3 news be relevant to people, or would it just be old news with a different spin by then? Or are you going to/have you already got a site which could provide regular updates alongside the actual publications?

I wish you guys luck with this though, I've never read Nintendo Power in my life, and I actually forget if they sold them here in the UK, but I did enjoy reading Amiga Power back in the day.

pokémoneinstein

Smash Cadet
if you had input in to smash 4 that would be the best thing in the world hahaha. :D
I wish I had input! That won't happen for a long time, but review copies aren't unlikely. If I'm lucky, I'll get Smash 4 a month before everyone else! :smirk:

(Of course, I'd be obligated not to spill the beans to you guys)

And I believe it would be future news. Of course, something like E3 would be hard to plan around, but because we have a deal with Nintendo, we'd be finding out about things in time for publishing them to stay current. THis is shaping up to be a really real thing. (Now let's hope we can find that extra $8k in the next two days...)

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I wish I had input! That won't happen for a long time, but review copies aren't unlikely. If I'm lucky, I'll get Smash 4 a month before everyone else! :smirk:

(Of course, I'd be obligated not to spill the beans to you guys)

And I believe it would be future news. Of course, something like E3 would be hard to plan around, but because we have a deal with Nintendo, we'd be finding out about things in time for publishing them to stay current. THis is shaping up to be a really real thing. (Now let's hope we can find that extra $8k in the next two days...)
Oh darn you're lucky.

then again, as a pre-release item, the company would have time to add final touches and polish to the game while you review it.. meaning you won't get quite the same version as everyone else. Similar but not the same. :p

pokémoneinstein

Smash Cadet
I hadn't thought of it that way. So much for free games .-.

Though even getting a slightly different version a month early is better than nothing.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Print Media is a dying endeavor. Look at it like this: Newspapers are shutting down every month or vastly scaling their efforts in favor of internet only, and a lot more people subscribe to newspapers than magazines. Aside from the collection aspect, which itself will be rendered useless, the print media has no valid use anymore. You can show formatting the same way on websites and the information is at least a month old, if not more. Imagine finishing an issue that previews a game based on teaser information, then as it is being shipped out, a massive leak comes out that adds a ton more details. The magazine version won't be able to support that change.

Not that you have a say in this, but print media is a dying beast.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Sorry but after some deliberation I've decided to remove the link because we don't allow any sort of advertising, and bending the rules for one instance opens the floodgates.

If anyone is interested in supporting OP then I suggest contacting him privately.

Rules is rules as they say down the local.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Any particualr outlets you plan on selling the book at(like barnes or something)? also is it going to be monthly or Bimonthly?

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Good to see this met its goal. Good luck!

pokémoneinstein

Smash Cadet
Thanks!

It's going to be bimonthly, and we don't have any retail shops down yet, but we're planning. The publisher, I'm sure, can guarantee a few chains, and we can probably fight for a few more.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Newsweek will switch to digital only on Dec 31, 2012. Printed magazines will not become a novelty once the big ones die, they will all die.

I hope this somehow turns out to be a worthwhile experience for you.

Top Bottom