• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I'm getting a PS3 for Christmas.

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
I saw my mom getting it off of eBay. 80gig, extra controller and cords. What games should I get?

I know I'm getting Blazblue, but what other ones? Maybe Street Fighter, but I dunno.

I'm not a big fan of shooters, so...any suggestions?

BigLøu

Smash Lord
Hmmm ps3.

Well I'd suggest pretty much any good fighting game that you would want since ps3 has better pads.

And get mgs4 (if you've played 1-3) and little big planet was pretty fun.

-Ran

Smash Master
Assassin's Creed
Uncharted 1 and 2
Call of Duty
God of War Collection.
Batman
Ratchet and Clank
Dragon Age
Borderlands
Fall Out 3 Game of the Year.
Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2
Grand Theft Auto
Bioshock
Oblivion Game of the Year

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
^^ Tales of Vesperia is the shiznit

Darksiders = Adult Legend of Zelda(hopefully lives up to the hype)
Dark Void = Jet Pack.....machines......future world......any questions?
White Knight Chronicles looks pretty cool
Oblivion = OVERRATED!
The Last Guardian - If you're a fan of Shadow of Colossus and ICO, this is by the same creator.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
The fact you don't even ask about Uncharted 2 is appalling. That and LittleBigPlanet are the super-hueg exclusives for the PS3. You might as well go for Bioshock and Assassin's Creed II, as well, since you're going to be able to get unbelievable graphics anyway, so why not abuse the privilege.

There are loads of other good games out there. It really depends on what you're into.

RJsHouse

Smash Apprentice
the best game is "rub the ps3 in rayku's face."
my personal favorite.

on a more serious note, uncharted 2,MGS4, and Modern warfare 2.

Beanman

Smash Cadet
obligatory "360 is better" comment.

Bioshock
Demon souls
Bayonetta
Borderlands
Dragon age
Valkyria Chronicles

But the most important out of that entire list

BIOSHOCK

Jon?

Smash Champion
360 is sooo much better. If you're not gonna use the PS3 for Blueray, you might as well save yourself an extra 100 dollars and pick up the console with the better gaming experience.

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
360 is sooo much better. If you're not gonna use the PS3 for Blueray, you might as well save yourself an extra 100 dollars and pick up the console with the better gaming experience.
Hm...
PS3:
Free Online(Albeit with some lag)
The ability to play Blu-Ray if I ever decide that I like it.
A library consisting of all but like, 10 games that are 360 exclusive.
Backwards Compatability(PS1 & PS2)
God of War III(When it comes out)
More than just shooters and ****ty RPGs.
Disgaea 3

360:
XBL(Pay, but less lag)
Halo(Not a huge fan)
NO Blu-Ray(I'm so heartbroken, really.)
Left 4 Dead(XD I'd actually like this, but I have a PC.)

If I forgot something, tell me.

Pros/Cons of each system?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
360s are for people who like playing the same game they played last gen except with better graphics.
PS3 are for people who like that but also like some innovation from time to time.

Beanman

Smash Cadet
Hm...
PS3:
Free Online(Albeit with some lag)
The ability to play Blu-Ray if I ever decide that I like it.
A library consisting of all but like, 10 games that are 360 exclusive.
Backwards Compatability(PS1 & PS2)<----No...it's not >.>
God of War III(When it comes out)
More than just shooters and ****ty RPGs.
Mass Effect...nuff' said
Disgaea 3

360:
XBL(Pay, but less lag)
Halo(Not a huge fan)
NO Blu-Ray(I'm so heartbroken, really.)
Left 4 Dead(XD I'd actually like this, but I have a PC.)
Really you could just say any valve game that will hit consoles will NOT be on PS3
360 has more Backwards compatibility than PS3
I prefer the controller for everything but fighting games

There are also a few multiplatform games that are 1080p on 360 and only 720p on PS3

If I forgot something, tell me.

Pros/Cons of each system?
Hope this helps :)

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
"There are also a few multiplatform games that are 1080p on 360 and only 720p on PS3"

I'm so heartbroken. I don't get 1080p. :(

lol j/k.

I don't hate the 360. I just prefer the PS3. Why? The reasons I listed above.

Any valve game that will hit consoles will also be on PC, so I'm cool.

I don't have any old Xbox games, so backwards compatibility is useless to me on 360.

I didn't like the little bit of Mass Effect that I played. Then again, that was only a little bit, so It could be an amazing game, but I don't know.

PS3 fits mah needs.

RJsHouse

Smash Apprentice
PS3 community > Pre-pubescent kids screaming and trash-talking constantly.

I dropped the Xbox because it only has a handful good games. Mass Effect and maybe Gears of War 1.
PS3 is better in general. Hell, the PS2 is more enjoyable than the Xbox 360.

PS3 will last years while an Xbox will destroy itself more than half of the time within a year.

But on Xbox, you can trash-talk them back and make them cry. Muhahaha.

Bias ftw.

tubes

Smash Ace
I do think the PS3 is a little better but really, both consoles do exactly the same ****, both consoles have an almost completely Identical Library of games, and the games will look, more or less, exactly the ****ing same on both systems No matter how much you wanna argue that "X console has a bigger ****", The differences between each console are countable on like one ****ing hand.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
PS3 is better. People were complaining about the price of the PS3 but now, since it and the 360 are the same price, there's no real difference except PS3 has free online :) but both systems keep coming out with the same games so there's really no biggie.

Beanman

Smash Cadet
Oh and I love not having to install my games before I can play them :)

S

smash brawl player 99021

I'm in the same situation...sort of. I'll explain. I just got the RROD on my 360. I was :mad: too. So I asked for a PS3 for X-Mas. Most of the Pros and Cons seem logical to me. I wouldn't know anything about the PS3 (other than free online+Blu-Ray). But I love Modern Warfare 2. MGS4 seems like a good choice too, along with Uncharted 2. So if I get one...What should my first game choice be? Or should I even get a PS3?

tubes

Smash Ace
I'm in the same situation...sort of. I'll explain. I just got the RROD on my 360. I was :mad: too. So I asked for a PS3 for X-Mas. Most of the Pros and Cons seem logical to me. I wouldn't know anything about the PS3 (other than free online+Blu-Ray). But I love Modern Warfare 2. MGS4 seems like a good choice too, along with Uncharted 2. So if I get one...What should my first game choice be? Or should I even get a PS3?
If you already have a 360, and microsoft will repair its RROD, then its not worth it to get a PS3. MGS4 and the other 5 or so exclusives are not enough reason to need both.

The same would be true if both consoles swapped positions.

Jon?

Smash Champion
In theory, PS3 is the better system given it specs. Unfortunately, the PS3 does not fully utilize it's amazing processor and graphics capability.

If you're more of a casual gamer who enjoys watching high def movies, go PS3. Amazing picture quality and Blue Ray is beautiful to watch on a high def 1080p large television. The Uncharted series look amazing in 1080p and MGS is a classic. PS Home was very anticipated among the PS3 owners but became a whole disappointment at launch.

If you're more of a competitive gamer, such as I, go with Xbox360. Yes, you pay money for online, but it is the best online console experience. Xbox live has an amazing interface and is so easy to move through. There is a reason why MLG uses Xbox as the major console in their competitions. Exclusives are amazing: Halo, Gears, L4D, Mass Effect .. etc.

I worked in the gaming section at Best Buy for almost two years. I have pretty good knowledge of both systems and I have the Pros and Cons list in my head because so many customers pester me on what system to buy. This is exactly what I tell them.

I'm not a Microsoft Fanboy at all. Given the hard facts, sale records, and consumer reports, Xbox 360 is overall the better gaming system. This is my unbiased opinion.

@IcyDeath: If you enjoy Modern Warfare 2, the gameplay on both systems are similar but Xbox Live will always have more players online so it may be an easier to find matches. I remember on the day after release, there were over 800k players online on Wednesday at 11am in the morning. Those are some crazy numbers.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Ermmm

1. Working at Best Buy does not give you any sort of knowledge about the system. You just stand around their boxes all day.
2. For fighting games, PS3 is competitive standard, just look at EVO.
3. Sales records does NOT equal good. Popularity is NEVER an argument for how valid something is unless you are looking it from a business standpoint, ESPECIALLY when the gap between Xbox and PS3 is so marginal.
4. MLG uses Xboxes because they are owned by Microsoft.

Jon?

Smash Champion
1. Work at Best Buy requires you to know a lot about each system actually. I can just stand around and when some asks me about a certain component on a PS3, I can't say "I don't know, go on the internet." That is just rude and unprofessional. Please do not tell me what I do at my job if you haven't done it yourself.

2. Fighting games are not the only competitive game out there. FPS, RTS, MMO pvp are some of the most competitive games available. I would know, I play all those type of genres.

3. Sales records sheds some light on which system is doing better business wise, which means the company making the most money producing the system can keep making great products, services, and games instead of struggling in sales, such as Sony. Consumer reports are a legit verification of success in a system.

4. I thought MLG was a separate organization from Microsoft? MLG is sponsored by Xbox360, along with other companies such as Dr. Pepper. Sponsorship and Ownership are two separate things. Regardless, MLG's biggest game is Halo (Xbox exclusive). It also includes Gears (Xbox exclusive), WoW pvp, and CoD4 in its circuit.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
1. Work at Best Buy requires you to know a lot about each system actually. I can just stand around and when some asks me about a certain component on a PS3, I can't say "I don't know, go on the internet." That is just rude and unprofessional. Please do not tell me what I do at my job if you haven't done it yourself.
This basic information that you must provide still does mean that your opinion on the system matters any more than any other. From what I see, the Xbox has a system with NO innovation, horrible public relations, pay to play online, and a horrible back record of breaking down.

2. Fighting games are not the only competitive game out there. FPS, RTS, MMO pvp are some of the most competitive games available. I would know, I play all those type of genres.
Doesn't change the fact that N-O here plays fighting games competitively. PS3 is very common in competative gaming outside of MLG.

3. Sales records sheds some light on which system is doing better business wise, which means the company making the most money producing the system can keep making great products, services, and games instead of struggling in sales, such as Sony. Consumer reports are a legit verification of success in a system.
No they aren't. Not from the consumer standpoint, especially when the seperation between sales have been so marginal, AND when the companies LOSE money every time they sale a system. Video games are entertainment, same as everything else, so when you put sales as the judgment for value, then Transformers is a better movie than Doubt, No Country For Old Men, The Departed, Fargo, The Motor Cycle Diaries, among many other American modern classics. I can apply the same thing to music.

Now, even more, when we look at what MARGINAL sale differences means to the enjoyment the user might have, we see no connection. The only reason NOT to buy a system because of sales is because of fear the company might go under, we are far past that point in the PS3's lifespan. It is now a legitimate console with no fear of going the way of the Dreamcast. There is nothing that looking at sales will tell us about the PS3 or 360, it all comes down to personal preference.

Jon?

Smash Champion
1. The reason for me introducing my job at Best Buy is to say I have a very unbiased opinion, which is true because the company wants me to know all the specific details about the different consoles. I'm not saying I have more knowledge of the system than anyone else, I'm just saying I have equal knowledge of both systems.

2. I know lots of people play fighting games. I've only seen PS3 being used in competitive fighters and nothing more. If you enjoy fighters go ahead and buy the PS3, I like their controllers better for fighters anyways. If you enjoy competitive FPS, go Xbox since the controller seems more fitting and there is a better online population.

3. Your argument is very valid. From my experience, the majority of PS3 owners I've seen come through stores buy the PS3 mainly for casual gaming and the benefits of a Blue Ray player.

This brings me back to my original argument: If you want casual gaming and good high def quality, go PS3. If you want competitive online gaming, go Xbox.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
PS3's online capacity is getting better. MAG is coming out and will hold up to 256 players per game. 360 is coming out with APB which can hold 100 people. 360 was better because of the price, but, since every system is coming out with the same games, there really isn't any difference. A flaw that I hate is having to download stuff just to play the game, but you get free online and a blu-ray player. I don't watch movies on mines. I really don't see much of a difference between the two, but next year is going to be a big year for gaming. The first quarter of the year is gonna have mad games coming out so get your money ready :)

Jon?

Smash Champion
Right on, I barely had enough to get the games I wanted this quarter: MW2, L4D2, AC2 are the ones I wanted.

Next year I can't wait! WoW: Cataclysm, StarCraft 2, Halo Reach are the ones I'm really looking forward to.

Beanman

Smash Cadet
Right on, I barely had enough to get the games I wanted this quarter: MW2, L4D2, AC2 are the ones I wanted.

Next year I can't wait! WoW: Cataclysm, StarCraft 2, Halo Reach are the ones I'm really looking forward to.
**** WOW it's all about BIOSHOCK 2!

Rayku

Smash Lord
Sales argument: D'you honestly think Carnival Games is the best game out for the Wii?

Top Bottom