• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I'm attending my first *large* tourney...

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
Any advice? I know that's awfully general, but this is the largest tourney I've been to. I've been to a lot of locals and my highest placing is 4th. I just want advice on making an impact and perhaps even some nerves/other gameplay stuff.

Cool

Smash Journeyman
Just have fun. Don't worry about losing, play to learn and get an experience. Take it all in.

Shower and wear deodorant.

GLHF bro

$alsa

Smash Cadet
NNID
itzall1848
Ask for tips from other players about anything you're uncertain of or need to know something specific, such as MU specific neutral game.
And try to learn something from every friendly/set you play.
And a good mindset to have isn't something like "Man I'm **** at this game" or "Man what if I win/lose?"
Always just think "What do I need to do right now?"
And make sure you have a good time, you don't wanna leave the tournament thinking it wasn't worth it.

FROST :)

Smash Cadet
Make friends, have fun, dont take it seriously at all. When you lose ask the other players in what you could improve.

Thumbtack28

Smash Rookie
Do something with your hair... Make it be different glhfdd (good luck have fun don't die) and drink a crapload of water before hand

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
Hey, thanks for all the advice, folks. The tournament I was at yesterday was the Olympus spring regional. It was at a venue I'd been to before, so everything was pretty familiar. Only 55 people showed, which is about half of the atendees of their previous regional.

I did alright. I was put in one of the toughest pools and I only took a single set and one game. Needless to say, I didn't make it out. There were two of the best foxes, a really good Link, and a Luigi player from really far away who only dropped one set. There was an amateur bracket thankfully, which I placed 5th in. Since there were so many good players, there were a few players in the amater bracket that weren't exactly amateurs. My two losses were from those kinds of players.

I didn't even think about the water thing and I went all day (9 a.m. to 11 p.m.) on a bagel, some orange juice, and a can of pepsi. I was totally out of it by about 7, haha. I probably could've done better in the match I lost in losers, or possibly even won (it was pretty close), but hey, no johns.

Overall though, I had a great time and I had no reason to be nervous because I was fine as soon as I got there :)

Last edited:

Cool

Smash Journeyman
Hey, thanks for all the advice, folks. The tournament I was at yesterday was the Olympus spring regional. It was at a venue I'd been to before, so everything was pretty familiar. Only 55 people showed, which is about half of the atendees of their previous regional.

I did alright. I was put in one of the toughest pools and I only took a single set and one game. Needless to say, I didn't make it out. There were two of the best foxes, a really good Link, and a Luigi player from really far away who only dropped one set. There was an amateur bracket thankfully, which I placed 5th in. Since there were so many good players, there were a few players in the amater bracket that weren't exactly amateurs. My two losses were from those kinds of players.

I didn't even think about the water thing and I went all day (9 a.m. to 11 p.m.) on a bagel, some orange juice, and a can of pepsi. I was totally out of it by about 7, haha. I probably could've done better in the match I lost in losers, or possibly even won (it was pretty close), but hey, no johns.

Overall though, I had a great time and I had no reason to be nervous because I was fine as soon as I got there :)
That's awesome man, I'm glad you had a great time. You'll improve quickly with that attitude. :)

It's unfortunate that you didn't have much to eat or drink. Did you use deodorant though? :b:

Thumbtack28

Smash Rookie
Yes lol x)
Nice job on the minor bracket... 524th is always a good spot. Next time eat more before hand helps out your body in thinking and acting, also be confident in something you can show to people ( hair being an example) it helps you do anything... If your confident your better (pardon the grammer)

Top Bottom