• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So if Luigi is a starter now, then...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
With the Year of Luigi in full swing, Luigi has been revealed much earlier than with the previous Smash games. As well as not being a secret for the first time ever. In fact, this situation reminds me of Super Smash Bros. Melee. Ness and Captain Falcon were secrets in 64, but were then promoted to starter. Another thing going for them is that they both represented their own franchises (Earthbound and F-Zero.)

Does Luigi's early appearance hint that we might get another of the four secrets out of the 12 perfect attendees? My bet is on Jigglypuff, as it serves as a double to the Pokemon franchise just as Luigi has to the Mario franchise. It's almost like I see a turn here as those two characters never got starter like Ness and Captain Falcon. Or does anyone here think we may not see Jiggs, Ness, or C. Falcon and we may get a Melee or Brawl veteran that was secret?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think that they will probably reveal the whole roster before the game's release, but you'll still have to unlock them in the game.

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
I believe they will pull an inverted version of Melee's case for the original 12, as in Luigi and Jigglypuff being starters, Falcon and Ness being unlockables.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Not sure if him being revealed this early means that he is a starting character. But if he was that would be cool. Luigi is my third most used character, so he's the one I try to unlock the fastest. Luigi being a starter could work despite Smash Bros. tradition. Seeing as how Luigi is the Ken to Mario's Ryu. In a certain case anyway.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
It does make since to put him as a starter... he's not really a secret anymore, like you said. Maybe this is a sign of a bigger roster??

grizby2

Smash Lord
him being revealed early doesn't mean hes officially a starter. theres no use in hiding his appearance in smash bros either. the way I see it, sakurai just got him out of the way, since he doesn't seem to be a hard character to put in the game.

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
him being revealed early doesn't mean hes officially a starter. theres no use in hiding his appearance in smash bros either. the way I see it, sakurai just got him out of the way, since he doesn't seem to be a hard character to put in the game.
Why would he reveal him now if he's secret? He's not a third party, the same thing happened with Falcon and Ness in Melee, I don't see anything supporting him being unlockable.

grizby2

Smash Lord
Why would he reveal him now if he's secret? He's not a third party, the same thing happened with Falcon and Ness in Melee, I don't see anything supporting him being unlockable.
well first off, everyone knew luigi would be in sm4sh, so hes a pretty "safe" pick in terms of an early reveal. that could be a reason why he'd show him off early. second, in terms of development, textures from Mario can be easily color swapped and placed onto luigi's modle. once they made Mario, luigi wouldn't be too far off the to-do list. ya know?

falcon and ness returned to being unlockables in brawl along with the other 2 original unlockables. and theres no rule for having to follow the pattern from between games. :|
im still thinking luigi will still have to be unlocked, cuz if we start with all 4 Mario franchise characters right off the bat, it sorta deprives us of unlocking something big thats Mario-related.

theres no true pattern for unlockables it seems, but it is worth mentioning that luigi was unlockable in all 3 games up to date. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again. seems to be traditional now imo.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
well first off, everyone knew luigi would be in sm4sh, so hes a pretty "safe" pick in terms of an early reveal. that could be a reason why he'd show him off early. second, in terms of development, textures from Mario can be easily color swapped and placed onto luigi's modle. once they made Mario, luigi wouldn't be too far off the to-do list. ya know?

falcon and ness returned to being unlockables in brawl along with the other 2 original unlockables. and theres no rule for having to follow the pattern from between games. :|
im still thinking luigi will still have to be unlocked, cuz if we start with all 4 Mario franchise characters right off the bat, it sorta deprives us of unlocking something big thats Mario-related.

theres no true pattern for unlockables it seems, but it is worth mentioning that luigi was unlockable in all 3 games up to date. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again. seems to be traditional now imo.
Yeah, I agree. Characters like Toon Link and Luigi were just announced to advertise their games, or, in Luigi's case, year. They'll most likely be unlockables again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom