• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I think we should talk about 3.5

Vultron

Smash Apprentice
This is a separate thread from the 'Sonic General Discussion Thread' just to focus on 3.5. Like the changes or not, I feel we can still discuss what we need to do for our blue blur.

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
Well so far all I have experienced is his nerfed homing attack I don't know what else is changed, as I really didn't get much tim eto play after I downloaded it. I literally played for five minutes

Vultron

Smash Apprentice
Well so far all I have experienced is his nerfed homing attack I don't know what else is changed, as I really didn't get much tim eto play after I downloaded it. I literally played for five minutes

The good old sonic 3 combo is gone because of how down B works now. That and spin shot has been nerfed.

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
The good old sonic 3 combo is gone because of how down B works now. That and spin shot has been nerfed.
I'm not completely sure what Sonic 3 combo is, even though I have probably done it albeit unconsciously. And you're joking they got rid of his homing attack and made his spin shot weaker? That pretty much means he's going to die the moment he gets knocked off stage in my mind :(. If they some of his best assets then what the hell did they buff? There better be a pretty decent buff to compensate for his nerfed recovery, as that is seriously a big part of what made him goodo.

Last edited:

N810

Smash Cadet
So far the thing I need to adapt to is that the Spin Charge attack doesn't hit when I turn. Sonic can get hit during this phase.

GabPR

Smash Lord
Lets just avoid getting ahead of ourselves saying that Sonic is too bad now. I have been reading a lot of the forums and most are johning that their character is too bad. Maybe compared to the cast in 3.02 but not 3.5. Almost everyone has been nerfed. Lets not be those people.

Chief Chili

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChiefChili
3DS FC
4399-0356-3573
I'm fine with most of the changes except for a few. I don't like how sonic enters a helpless state if he uses homing attack or blast attack off stage and doesn't have a target/misses. I feel it's too severe a nerf. I think it would've been fair if he could only use it once in the air but is able to act out of it still, kinda like in Smash 4. I also think nerfing side b off stage was too much as well. Even if you hold back to act out of it sooner it kind of defeats the purpose since it doesn't help that much for recovery. Might as well try down b towards the stage.

Luk

Smash Journeyman
Been playing against computers for a good piece of the afternoon. Ugh, these nerfs are going to take some getting used to.

I feel like his recovery is still above average. Unless I got knocked quite a ways from the stage and downward, I could usually get back with some combination of second jump, bair, HA, side-b, or up-b.

The biggest pain is them removing the sonic 3 combo. Guess I'll have to spend a bunch of time figuring out some new bread and butter combos.

On the plus side, I like that side b is now cancleable-ish. It's saved me from death a couple of times when I accidentally side b in the air over the stage but go over the edge. Hold back to slow horizontal movement for a second or two and BAM up b and you're back in the game even if you don't have your second jump.

Also, maybe it was just me or the fact that it was bots, but it felt like I was spiking with f-air a lot easier than in 3.02. The changelog doesn't say anything about any changes to Sonic's f-air but it definitely feels a bit easier to spike with it now.

DireDrop

Smash Journeyman
Uh can i post my sonic's video? Well here i leave my sonic to critique. I play Vs Professor Flash
Post vids for critique in the video critique thread. It's stickied at the top of the thread list.

Edit: I will say here though, you should dash dance. I didn't see it once. There were a lot of situations where you tried to meet Snake head on, which isn't going to work 90% of the time. Something as simple as: "run away -> run back -> grab" would have punished a ton of his attacks.

Last edited:

Vultron

Smash Apprentice
Lets just avoid getting ahead of ourselves saying that Sonic is too bad now. I have been reading a lot of the forums and most are johning that their character is too bad. Maybe compared to the cast in 3.02 but not 3.5. Almost everyone has been nerfed. Lets not be those people.
I agree with you, it may be a pain in the ass for us, but we can get past this. I feel like the biggest problem for me is actually the double jump cancel SideB, now that I don't have it, I realize how much I used it and that I took it for granted

I'm not completely sure what Sonic 3 combo is, even though I have probably done it albeit unconsciously. And you're joking they got rid of his homing attack and made his spin shot weaker? That pretty much means he's going to die the moment he gets knocked off stage in my mind :(. If they some of his best assets then what the hell did they buff? There better be a pretty decent buff to compensate for his nerfed recovery, as that is seriously a big part of what made him goodo.
Sonic 3 combo is just DownB > jump > air, it used to be a great bread and butter combo, but now that the knock back angle for DownB has changed, it's a lot more difficult to do.

On a related note, has anyone found a decent way to combo from DownB into any aerial?

Last edited:

The_Sir_Reginald

Smash Rookie
So I may have found a way to use downb well still!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZy-oIUdNiw

It's only against a level 1 computer so who knows, but it looks promising. Essentially, it'll still be the 3 combo, but instead of jumping with downb right after you hit them to get the second hit popping them straight up, you want to jump toward them and do downb in the air in the opposite direction. You'll hit them with the hit box in the air, land and hit them again, then jump and do whatever aerial you please.

Obviously this approach is more limited than literally just running into them with downb, but we gotta start somewhere!

Edit: Oh and the situation I'm talking about is the last attack in the video, the one on captain falcons shield, then the video ends.

Last edited:

Vultron

Smash Apprentice
So I may have found a way to use downb well still!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZy-oIUdNiw

It's only against a level 1 computer so who knows, but it looks promising. Essentially, it'll still be the 3 combo, but instead of jumping with downb right after you hit them to get the second hit popping them straight up, you want to jump toward them and do downb in the air in the opposite direction. You'll hit them with the hit box in the air, land and hit them again, then jump and do whatever aerial you please.

Obviously this approach is more limited than literally just running into them with downb, but we gotta start somewhere!

Edit: Oh and the situation I'm talking about is the last attack in the video, the one on captain falcons shield, then the video ends.
That is beautiful! The only thing I saw that concerns me is that it uses your double jump if you look closely, but I think it's just because you jumped too early. Is it possible to do that with a short hop? If it is, then I can see that being pretty reliable!

Last edited:

Luk

Smash Journeyman
Another cool (albeit mostly useless) new thing Sonic can do.
From the changelog:
Button inputs are now independent of each other, allowing you to for example press R while L is held
So now you can re-map L or R (whichever you don't use for your shield) to attack, hold that in all the time, still use A for regulr attacking but the engine still sees attack as being held for moonwalking.

The_Sir_Reginald

Smash Rookie
That is beautiful! The only thing I saw that concerns me is that it uses your double jump if you look closely, but I think it's just because you jumped too early. Is it possible to do that with a short hop? If it is, then I can see that being pretty reliable!
Yeah, the second jump was an accident. And the one that hits C Falc's shield was a short hop?

In game I've been trying this, the inputs are kinda tricky, but this isn't a bad mixup, though I don't know if it can be his go to combo.

Vultron

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, the second jump was an accident. And the one that hits C Falc's shield was a short hop?

In game I've been trying this, the inputs are kinda tricky, but this isn't a bad mixup, though I don't know if it can be his go to combo.
I watched that really late at night for me, and did not realize that it was a short hop!

Top Bottom