• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I just started playing For Glory a couple days ago...

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I just wanted to see what it was like for you guys when you started playing competitively, and if there's anyone else who started playing competitively recently. So what was it like for you?

Let's just say I'm not used to going from 3v1ing people in my area, to losing most matches in For Glory. Though I've only fought 3 people so far. 2 people just stuck around for like 15 matches despite that they were generally winning. I've been trying to use Link, Charizard, Samus, and Meta Knight. I gotta say everything feels like it's in slow motion online, and I can reaaaaally feel how slow Samus is. Especially when someone used fox for one match... While he was decent, he kept trying to use the reflector to reflect my charged blast throughout the match and he never got to do that making it so he almost lost both stocks cause of when I actually did use the charge blast, if he just attacked me normally he'd probably would have won because I've never had a problem with people getting in close to Samus before (AI is dumb about projectiles, and people irl get spooked by projectiles too much). It's strange to suddenly be edge guarded (even if the people did a really really bad job at it), because no one has ever done that to me before, so it's a nice change of pace.

On a side note, it's rather annoying seeing myself do some things that have basically become muscle memory and are bad habbits. Worst of the habbits would be throwing the Dair out with Link a bit too much (though it always seems to work and I dont get punished usually because people never expect the hit box to be so wide it seems), and accidentally doing forward smash due to laziness to not do a proper forward tilt.

I did surprisingly well with Meta Knight though, even though I really haven't nailed the basics with him yet like the other 3 characters I play a lot of. I would like to make Meta Knight my main at some point since I do like seeing how scary a good Meta Knight can be. I still need to mess around with Mewtwo, Lucario, and Cloud to see if I'd be comfortable with maining them too though (since I haven't decided on a true main yet). I just haven't been playing Sm4sh competitively because I was unlocking everything in the game (along with playing other games and real life dragging me away), still need to get 9 moves and then I never have to bother with the solo mode stuff ever again. Though I doubt anyone is really going to use custom moves in my area.

Pretty much the only competitive play I got to play before 4 Glory was fighting a Mario Main as Marth in Melee. However since I mained Marth I always won. Then when we swapped characters he always won with Marth because I had no idea how to use Mario... Because well, I hated Mario at the time, but he showed me the way of Mario that day, sadly never got to play that guy again. Funnily enough both ways it was rather close everytime.

On a side note, when I press the grab button in the air, why does it sometimes do an attack instead of a Zair when using Samus and Link when you press the grab button? This never happened to me offline and it's cost quite a few matches. It just keeps doing it seemingly at random times.

MikaPlayz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thexwhitexfangx
3DS FC
1779-3096-4913
you should stick to one character as a main i would go with cloud hes pretty easy to start useing at first i use hime as a secondary he's also fun to use

Keeshu

Smash Ace
you should stick to one character as a main i would go with cloud hes pretty easy to start useing at first i use hime as a secondary he's also fun to use
Sticking to one character is easier said than done. Took me a while to narrow it down to the characters I listed as it is. I learned Smash with Link, even all the way back in Melee. So I'm very comfortable with him in general and he's one of the more interesting characters to watch when stuff gets more competitive. Only problem with link is that I might have to unlearn some bad habbits since I've fought AI so much with him, and that outside of gameplay Link isn't that interesting. Now Meta Knight is my favorite character in the roster so I want to make him my main, but I just haven't spent enough time testing him out yet to know if I'll enjoy maining him or not. So I've been switching between the two of them so far.

I suppose I could drop Charizard because I don't see his gameplay being anything too shocking later on, thus eventually making him boring. Unless I can do something to make Samus feel more speedy, I might just drop her as well despite feeling very comfortable with her. Lucario and Mewtwo are characters I love a lot so I do want to see what it's like to play with them as I have not practiced with them that much. Maybe I'll go watch some tourneys with these two, and also play around a bit more with them in case Meta Knight and Link don't work out for some reason.

As for Cloud, he has got to be the easiest character to pick up in Smash Bros.. The only hard thing I've had to deal with him is his recovery. It's nice to force you to learn discipline with your jump when returning at least. However I haven't really tried using Cloud competitively yet so maybe there's some other problems with him that I haven't seen yet.

Top Bottom