• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I broke my LCD Screen

Sariku

Smash Master
Coincidentally, this was an HP laptop, so who knows what will happen. I may or may not have had a Wiimote fly towards it and it may or may not have hit the right side of the screen.

The entire right side shows a cracked screen and appears white (the cracks are like if a rock cracked a car's windshield, circular) and the left side flickers up and own as if someone was scrolling up and down the page 30 times a second.

I have a 200 dollar warranty, but I'm wondering if that'll cover my screen being busted. :S

It was only the inner, inner LCD screen. The screens on the outside are barely cracked, if at all. Not sure how that happened.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Good luck getting it repaired. Just don't take no for an answer. If they give you any lip about how it's not covered, ask to be escalated to a case manager.

inferno

EnFuego
BRoomer
Since it's not a "normal" problem, because intentionally or not the screen was physically damaged. So I highly doubt it's going to be covered by your warranty.

I worked in a computer warehouse for a K-12 online school, we had laptops come in all the time with broken screens. We always ordered screens from third party vendors and replaced them ourselves. HP will charge you out the *** for your repair. That pretty much goes for any large manufacturer.

I don't know how tech savvy you are, but your best bet(in my opinion) is to buy a replacement screen from a 3rd party vendor and replace the screen yourself. Or find someone who can. You can try to fight HP, and its worth a shot but I would be shocked if you got out of the ordeal without losing your arm, and probably your leg.

inferno

EnFuego
BRoomer
Depends on the model.. i'd say you could get one between $100-$200. Gotta be sure to get the right one... resolution, etc.

Also dependent on the model... is how easy it is to take apart. A lot of the time it's a few screws(you'll need a size 0 phillips) on the bezel that you take off and you can pry it off with a puddy knife. There's a metal frame the screen is attached to with small screws on the side. Then you'll have a cable to unplug from the inverter. Then there's a ribbon-like cable on the back that you have to be careful not to break the clips off. That's usually it.

But yeah... try to get HP to fix it if you can. If you paid for the warranty, definitely try to get your moneys worth.

Top Bottom