• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So... how do you pronounce the King's name?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
DDD.

I'm just gonna call him king D because there's this ****** around here people call DD and every time I say DDD I think of the ******.

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
Actually, folks, I have it on good authority that it's pronounced "Steve", but it's just a really crazy spelling.

Doesn't anyone know how to use the phonetic alphabet?
I don't think that's the problem so much as people started ignoring it several years ago and society is now in ruins. Also, Dedede was created in Japan which uses different symbols and pronounces our letters differently.

DDD.

I'm just gonna call him king D because there's this ****** around here people call DD and every time I say DDD I think of the ******.
Wow. And now you've passed that legacy on to the rest of us. Well played.

Anyhow, for some reason, my dyslexic mind just filtered out the last "de" in "Dedede" until very recently. Probably because my mind couldn't handle this very quandry. Since I was used to, I just kept calling him "King De-de", but now thanks to Red Exodus, that's out. Anyhow, I can't help feeling like it's supposed to be said "Deh", and with a specific inflexion (is that a the right word?), like a set of notes (e.i. ta-da or dum-dum-dum). Otherwise it just sounds awkward.

Anyhow, I think I'll just call him King Steve (or possibly Gary; I mean he looks kinda like Gary Busey, right?), and be done with the matter.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I my brothers and I always called him king day day. I dunno why we just never paid attention to how it was actually spelled. I'm still gonna call him that.

frankisvital

Smash Journeyman
This guy just looks like a fat bird. who wants to play with an overweight blue bird? why can't we just have falco back!

then did you see his special moves?

they overdid the description just a bit...

"<Up Special Move: Super Dedede Jump>
King Dedede’s great jump is his specialty!"

-he jumps up and slams down just like half the other do.

sorry i think the king dedede is just a waste of space.

bring in someone better! i mean you had metaknight what more do you want with kirby??

Yeah, I agree. We should just have Falco, Falco with a hammer, Falco with a sword, ugly Falco, Falco with a moustache and my favorite, Falco on a Segway.

rock4lieff18

Smash Rookie
i may be a noob...

i may be a noob to the boards but def not to smash.

and i dont understand why so many people wanted him like i said hes just a fat bird.

and i didn't mean offense to anyone reading my comment i just really want them to have falco back.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
I don't think it matters how they say it in Japan. Because we're in America. And in America, they say Dee Dee Dee.

jupiter

Smash Apprentice
In Kirby's Avalanche for SNES, when you "fight" (or puzzle challenge?) King Dedede, the computer announces his name when you reach him: "King (DEE DEE DEE)"

In Japan, the katakana is read as "Deh Deh Deh"...there's no "king" before it,...his name is simply, "Deh Deh Deh".

The name of the world (PopStar in English?) that Kirby & Co is from in Japan is called "PuPuPuRaNDo"...smoothly translated, it's "Pupupu Land".

JAPAN: Deh Deh Deh (no "KING")
ENGLISH: KING DEE DEE DEE

I'm used to saying DEEDEEDEE, and that I shall call him. Unless I'm in Japan and speak to other smash players in Japanese and am trying to refer to him, then I will say, "Deh Deh Deh".

pwnzorz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ABlackMage
3DS FC
0103-9129-9741
I do Dedede, like the way it is spelled. Mencia Does Dee Dee Dee, so i shorten the emphasis on the e's.

Brentos4o8

Smash Ace
In Kirby's Avalanche for SNES, when you "fight" (or puzzle challenge?) King Dedede, the computer announces his name when you reach him: "King (DEE DEE DEE)"

In Japan, the katakana is read as "Deh Deh Deh"...there's no "king" before it,...his name is simply, "Deh Deh Deh".

The name of the world (PopStar in English?) that Kirby & Co is from in Japan is called "PuPuPuRaNDo"...smoothly translated, it's "Pupupu Land".

JAPAN: Deh Deh Deh (no "KING")
ENGLISH: KING DEE DEE DEE

I'm used to saying DEEDEEDEE, and that I shall call him. Unless I'm in Japan and speak to other smash players in Japanese and am trying to refer to him, then I will say, "Deh Deh Deh".
I'm with you 100% on that one.

jupiter

Smash Apprentice

and i dont understand why so many people wanted him like i said hes just a fat bird.

and i didn't mean offense to anyone reading my comment i just really want them to have falco back.
Falco might be back....hopefully. And hopefully they give him his own uniform (like that red body suit) and make him taller and slimmer than Fox, like in most recent illustrations.

About Dedede, I love him. He's a fat blue PENGUIN, i've always love penguins (before all that "March of the Penguins" hype that got all those posers in love with penguins). But he's cool!

Dedede was supposed to be in the original Smash Bros for the N64. Sakurai, out of modesty and being humble, decided not to show favoritism towards his Kirby series that he created over the rest of the Nintendo franchises and kept Dedede out, and included only Kirby. (can't find source but i've read it various times before).

Still modest, he kept only Kirby in Melee.

Now, Brawl may be the last Smash game ever made (by Sakurai, who knows who'll take over if he declines to make another if and when the opportunity arises), so he seems to be more open to include much more from his Kirby series than before.

bob-e

Smash Journeyman
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7V5n4TJq4YY

Go to 1:50. If you say it any other way, you're doing it wrong. And before anyone pulls the, "But that's just how you say it in Japanese, we speak English." card, consider this. Do you call an all-you-can-eat meal a "buff-et"?

/thread

jupiter

Smash Apprentice
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7V5n4TJq4YY

Go to 1:50. If you say it any other way, you're doing it wrong. And before anyone pulls the, "But that's just how you say it in Japanese, we speak English." card, consider this. Do you call an all-you-can-eat meal a "buff-et"?

/thread
then again, Kirby Avalanche has the announcer say, "King DEE DEE DEE" when you play against Dedede, for the SNES.

In Japan, they pronounce "Kirby" as "Kaabii"...so when we say, "Kurr-BEE" we're pronouncing that wrong, too?

All I'm saying is that for English speakers, we've never had a voice pronouncing his name until SNES's Kirby's Avalanche. Then we had the Kirby cartoon. They both say, "Dee dee dee." So i'm fine with that. I speak/read/write Japanese as well (i'm part Japanese), so I'm only saying "Deh deh deh" when I'm ever in Japan and am talking to someone about Dedede (which prolly never will happen, since I'd probably be talking about a lot more interesting things than Kirby and his friends, despite how much i love videogames and Kirby games).

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
Official English Pronounciation - "DEE-DEE-DEE"
Official Japanese Pronounciation - "DEH-DEH-DEH"

Nefarious

Smash Apprentice

hes not just a fat bird. hes also a king.

king dee-dee-dee would totally own falco anyway.

Top Bottom