• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So how are my fellow robots getting back to the stage?

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
I find it insanely difficult to get back against a lot of characters. Rob may have great distance with his recovery but it's slow and predictable. Even DK gives me a hard time coming back sometimes. I feel that Rob lost a looot of options coming back on stage. A least in Brawl he had a good ledge game so the ledge was his best option, but now that option is gone.

Anyone have alternative strats in returning back onstage safely?

1FC0

Smash Lord
Too bad that Robo Burner immediately stops whenever an aerial is used, unlike SSBB where R.O.B. could rise and use Uair for an almost ungimpable recovery from below.
I still do this though, with the right timing I can catch some gimpers in my Uair. But with the wrong timing I will miss and fall down a little for nothing thus putting myself in a worse position then I was before due to fuel consumption.

When recovering high I just launch Gyro's and lasers to cover me.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
I find it insanely difficult to get back against a lot of characters. Rob may have great distance with his recovery but it's slow and predictable. Even DK gives me a hard time coming back sometimes. I feel that Rob lost a looot of options coming back on stage. A least in Brawl he had a good ledge game so the ledge was his best option, but now that option is gone.

Anyone have alternative strats in returning back onstage safely?
I like using Rush Coil.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
It's often a good idea to bait gimpers by using upB for a second, falling out of their reach, then recovering when they're also too far down to risk landing another aerial, because then you're both in the same boat. Use that huge recovery to your advantage.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Do you guys think it's worth it saving your fuel like it was in Brawl by tapping it? Or am I better flying all the way to the other side (or in general) burning fuel as usual?

1FC0

Smash Lord
Do you guys think it's worth it saving your fuel like it was in Brawl by tapping it? Or am I better flying all the way to the other side (or in general) burning fuel as usual?
I know that at least for vertical recovery you can greatly increase the vertical distance by tapping as opposed to holding it.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I hear there's a better Up B recovery custom move but I don't have like any of them in the Wii U version and they're so slow to get :(

pikmin.org

Smash Apprentice
You really need to be able to tech, often you can ride the walls of stages whilst recovering and if you get hit, you can still survive and even get your opponent in an edgeguard position. Too bad the timing is so strict lmao.

Ideally, you want to recover high. I like my chances more coming down from high up having burned all my fuel (N-Air and even B-Air are good defensive air-->ground moves) as opposed to below the stage with fuel. If you can't do that, try and stay pretty much horizontal with your opponent if they're coming offstage, because F-Air pretty much outranges/outspeeds most edgeguarding options opposing characters have, plus it has a fast cooldown.

I feel like R.O.B's recovery suffers the most vs. characters who can edgeguard with projectiles, like DDD and pikachu. It can be a real nightmare.

Last edited:

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
I tend to recover low in most cases, but if I find myself up high, I usually hang back and use my gyro to knock away edgeguarders, and then recover low.

I have noticed that using ROB's back air gives him more speed in the air, but I don't have enough experience with that to apply it in combat yet... I'm sure that could be used to aid and perhaps protect ROB's high recovery.

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
ROB's high-speed burner is preferable for a safe recovery IMO. You can do most of the fancy flying from his brawl days, albeit with noticably less fuel.

Charizard's stank *** fire breath destroys our recovery if we try to recover low.
Don't forget G&W's stupid bacon. That almost always ****s me up.

Esquire

Smash Cadet
NNID
DarkSlay
Remember that BAir can be used as a means of recovery from offstage. UpB to get to the vertical height you want, then BAir to cancel out of UpB's animation and move left/right. You're also freed from UpB's aerial lock after using BAir, which is an added bonus. Regular aerial mobility is also re-established. On top of that, BAir preserves fuel for UpB, lessening the impact of R.O.B.'s susceptibility of gimping and recovery.

BAir should be used to get under stages from one ledge to the other as well.

So in short, think of R.O.B. having a main recovery option and a secondary recovery option to use in conjunction with his main option.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Bair is crucial for recovery since it gives you back some of the horizontal mobility lost to his up+b nerf. Use it to confound waiting opponents below - I usually wait until I see them charging a usmash, then bair out of their way. If you're far away from stage, it's a good idea to alternate bair > upb > repeat.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Using b-air to get back on stage seems cool, but the lack of a hitbox on R.O.B.'s head makes it unsafe. Whenever I try to b-air back on stage I end up getting juggled (or KO'd if playing Diddy). Now I only back-air when I'm below the ledge or really really far above it (which isn't often).

What I normally do when recovering is fall and then use the Robo Burner to get to the ledge in a "V" shape. If my opponent feels confident off-stage (or is simply a character that can safely attack off-stage) I'll attempt to bait a gimp like DoubleYooToo does with a double jump, back air into the stage to stall (only works on stages that become plateaus in Omega form which is why I normally pick those stages when using R.O.B.; sometimes the hitbox on back-air knocks the opponent away if they fall or jump into it), then recover with up-B.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Since the air speed of Robo Burner got nerfed, getting back to stage can be a real pain as R.O.B. It's a lot easier for other characters to edgeguard you or even combo you offscreen when you try to recover. Thusly, I find it much safer to recover low against most characters, since they can easily anticipate where you're going to land if you try to recover high due to your abysmal air speed. Bair helps with horizontal recovery, preserving fuel consumed by Robo Burner, and avoiding Up-smashes from characters like Little Mac (lol), though it's really punishable if you use it close to the stage since it has a lot of startup and landing lag.
(or just use the high speed burner, it's honestly a lot better than the standard)

Last edited:

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
though it's really punishable if you use it close to the stage since it has a lot of startup and landing lag.
(or just use the high speed burner, it's honestly a lot better than the standard)
B-air can autocancel, and high speed burner is kind of reckless. It also burns fuel more quickly and even with the increased vertical mobility, there's not much you can do out of it. I think it's only better when getting back on stage from above the ledge because of how quickly R.O.B. moves (basically, it's really hard to chase him unless you're Sonic, Fox, Little Mac, Pikachu, or any character with a high dashing speed).

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Using b-air to get back on stage seems cool, but the lack of a hitbox on R.O.B.'s head makes it unsafe. Whenever I try to b-air back on stage I end up getting juggled (or KO'd if playing Diddy). Now I only back-air when I'm below the ledge or really really far above it (which isn't often).
Right, I forgot to mention I do this way up high. You can cancel a fast fall with it too, which makes your landing that much less predictable.

It does have a hitbox in front of him, but it's very short range - like it's practically inside his head. It also doesn't have much KB and low priority. For me, it usually only comes into play by accident. There's too much recovery off bair to combo it, but at mid-high percents it can push them away just enough for some breathing room - but I don't count on it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom