• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So... Greninja + Pictochat stage...

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Will this be his stage? Haha.

The reason I'm saying this is because the floor is completely black so therefore Greninja's Shadow Sneak will be left up to anticipating time rather than looking at the shadow.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
there are some stages where shadows don't even show up iirc

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex

The reason I'm saying this is because the floor is completely black so therefore Greninja's Shadow Sneak will be left up to anticipating time rather than looking at the shadow.
PacMaze, NES stage, Gameboy Stage and possibly (haven't tested) Flatzone also don't have shadows.

There are also around 3-4 stages which have cameras that make the opponent unable to see the shadows even though they are there. An example of this is Tomodatchi Life.

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
That makes me happy as a Greninja fan, but curious about the tournament situation. If Omega Forms are allowed, wouldn't Greninja player always choose the shadowless forms?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
That makes me happy as a Greninja fan, but curious about the tournament situation. If Omega Forms are allowed, wouldn't Greninja player always choose the shadowless forms?
Yes, always counterpick a shadowless form. There's not even any question about it.

Steamblown

Smash Rookie
PacMaze, NES stage, Gameboy Stage and possibly (haven't tested) Flatzone also don't have shadows.

There are also around 3-4 stages which have cameras that make the opponent unable to see the shadows even though they are there. An example of this is Tomodatchi Life.
Dont forget the numerous Omega forms that go for a straight on viewpoint than slightly angled from the top, like Golden Plains.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Dont forget the numerous Omega forms that go for a straight on viewpoint than slightly angled from the top, like Golden Plains.
Yea, I don't know which of them do but that's what I meant by the last sentence. The 2 I know that do this are Tomodachi Life and Golden Plains.

I am almost 100% sure there's another one that I know of but I can't remember which one it is. Is it Gaur Plains? I'll need to check in order to make that list.

luketavius

Smash Rookie
NNID
luketavius
3DS FC
2535-4467-7043
Yeah, with Greninja I suggest always picking, if you're playing Omega forms, stages that hide his shadow and have walls on the side that go to the bottom, since those help his recovery immensely. So Pac-Maze, Pictochat, and Balloon Fight all work

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Yeah, with Greninja I suggest always picking, if you're playing Omega forms, stages that hide his shadow and have walls on the side that go to the bottom, since those help his recovery immensely. So Pac-Maze, Pictochat, and Balloon Fight all work
Gameboy (dreamland) too.

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
Brinstar hides shadows, too. It was infuriating to face the Greninja there and I had to basically be shielding whenever there was a chance that he could be doing something.

Just don't let Greninja players pick dark Omega stages in tournaments. Not like there's a shortage FDs in S4.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Brinstar hides shadows, too. It was infuriating to face the Greninja there and I had to basically be shielding whenever there was a chance that he could be doing something.

Just don't let Greninja players pick dark Omega stages in tournaments. Not like there's a shortage FDs in S4.
Why wouldn't you let them? Other characters can pick stages that give them advantages... It's why the banning/striking system exists.

Last edited:

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
Why wouldn't you let them? Other characters can pick stages that give them advantages... It's why the banning/striking system exists.
Eliminating an incredibly powerful attack's telegraph because some colors are different isn't the same as chosing to strike Yoshi's Island or Dream Land because of platform placement or small blast zones because one version of the MANY FDs is an instant win for Greninja. Burning through multiple FDs to avoid a dark stage for one character is broken. It's not a tactical decision because it's a direct upgrade and blatant counter picks (vs "I don't think my whatever is good enough for this) before a match aren't fun to face anyway. Any point during gameplay where another player might as well set their controller down is bad game design and sucks to experience. Might as well give the counter pick player the point and go to the next match.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Eliminating an incredibly powerful attack's telegraph because some colors are different isn't the same as chosing to strike Yoshi's Island or Dream Land because of platform placement or small blast zones because one version of the MANY FDs is an instant win for Greninja. Burning through multiple FDs to avoid a dark stage for one character is broken. It's not a tactical decision because it's a direct upgrade and blatant counter picks (vs "I don't think my whatever is good enough for this) before a match aren't fun to face anyway. Any point during gameplay where another player might as well set their controller down is bad game design and sucks to experience. Might as well give the counter pick player the point and go to the next match.
The problem with this is that you believe that you not being able to tell that Greninja is Shadow Sneak is instant win for him. I am sorry to put it bluntly but you are not even close to being part of the competitive scene with that mentality and as someone who isn't part of it shouldn't comment on what should or should not be done by a community you're not in.

Flat stages gave a much bigger advantage to IC, Dedede, Falco, and many more than dark stages do to Greninja in this game. Stages like BF gave much greater advantages in the past to certain characters who have good aerial mobility and also was a hindrance to players with good projectile games.

This Greninja thing isn't even close to what those 2 stages have done in the past for other characters yet no one complained.

"Any point during gameplay where another player might as well set their controller down".

Give me your friend code. Pick Greninja, I'll pick any character you want me to. We'll go Pictochat Omega Form. Let's see if this "set your controller down" is true. You should be able to beat me 3 stocks right?.

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
The problem with this is that you believe that you not being able to tell that Greninja is Shadow Sneak is instant win for him. I am sorry to put it bluntly but you are not even close to being part of the competitive scene with that mentality and as someone who isn't part of it shouldn't comment on what should or should not be done by a community you're not in.

Flat stages gave a much bigger advantage to IC, Dedede, Falco, and many more than dark stages do to Greninja in this game. Stages like BF gave much greater advantages in the past to certain characters who have good aerial mobility and also was a hindrance to players with good projectile games.

This Greninja thing isn't even close to what those 2 stages have done in the past for other characters yet no one complained.

"Any point during gameplay where another player might as well set their controller down".

Give me your friend code. Pick Greninja, I'll pick any character you want me to. We'll go Pictochat Omega Form. Let's see if this "set your controller down" is true. You should be able to beat me 3 stocks right?.
I'm not going to play the "I'm better at you at video games so my views are right" strawman game if that's your best argument to try and shut me down. I didn't attack you so don't you pull that garbage. I don't have to play Greninja well myself to know how he can operate, what a technique can do and that he's S tier. I haven't played a Pokemon game since Emerald so I'm never going to play him because I'm not interested. Critics don't need know how to make the thing they're reviewing themselves in order analyze them. The second paragraph and third sentence were the only things that in that post that weren't purile, egotistical ****e.

Anyway, by "instant win," I don't mean that he literally kills the enemy the second the players can move and it's obvious that I didn't mean that in that way. The shadow as a telegraph is a huge factor in how quickly the other player can react, and no shadow affects that reaction time greatly. Yes, there's a mind game aspect to faking players out by standing still as Greeninja on dark stages, but it's like balancing permanent invisibility that can instantly be attacked out of. The best way to counter it is to just stay in safe zones and not move much, which sucks and shuts down the field. He doesn't have to be standing still and doing it while falling at an angle is possible. "Oh, I tricked you" while sliding a move into a routine is fair unlike "Oh, you actually couldn't see it." The shadow was put there for a reason at the end of the day. Not having it on dark stages was an oversight.

Stages have been banned because of character balance issues and bad match ups, anyway. Stages promoting stupid things is the basis of banning. FD vs platfom stages are general favoritisms towards certain types of characters, not one advantage that is a buff via a gimmick to one (already going to be top tier) character in the entire game. Allowing a gimmick on a couple of stages to influence a match isn't competative or fun in general, although no one complains about Randal even though all of the times he's saved players hasn't been forseably planned, so there are falacies in what gimmicky and luck based things are acceptable, anyway. Although, this is probably going to be my last post on this because you just want to "1v1 me, bro," I'm only casual **** or something and I'm kind of done with putting energy into internet debates, so there won't be any point in arguing anymore, anyway.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
I'm not going to play the "I'm better at you at video games so my views are right" strawman game if that's your best argument to try and shut me down. I didn't attack you so don't you pull that garbage. I don't have to play Greninja well myself to know how he can operate, what a technique can do and that he's S tier. I haven't played a Pokemon game since Emerald so I'm never going to play him because I'm not interested. Critics don't need know how to make the thing they're reviewing themselves in order analyze them. The second paragraph and third sentence were the only things that in that post that weren't purile, egotistical ****e.

Anyway, by "instant win," I don't mean that he literally kills the enemy the second the players can move and it's obvious that I didn't mean that in that way. The shadow as a telegraph is a huge factor in how quickly the other player can react, and no shadow affects that reaction time greatly. Yes, there's a mind game aspect to faking players out by standing still as Greeninja on dark stages, but it's like balancing permanent invisibility that can instantly be attacked out of. The best way to counter it is to just stay in safe zones and not move much, which sucks and shuts down the field. He doesn't have to be standing still and doing it while falling at an angle is possible. "Oh, I tricked you" while sliding a move into a routine is fair unlike "Oh, you actually couldn't see it." The shadow was put there for a reason at the end of the day. Not having it on dark stages was an oversight.

Stages have been banned because of character balance issues and bad match ups, anyway. Stages promoting stupid things is the basis of banning. FD vs platfom stages are general favoritisms towards certain types of characters, not one advantage that is a buff via a gimmick to one (already going to be top tier) character in the entire game. Allowing a gimmick on a couple of stages to influence a match isn't competative or fun in general, although no one complains about Randal even though all of the times he's saved players hasn't been forseably planned, so there are falacies in what gimmicky and luck based things are acceptable, anyway. Although, this is probably going to be my last post on this because you just want to "1v1 me, bro," I'm only casual **** or something and I'm kind of done with putting energy into internet debates, so there won't be any point in arguing anymore, anyway.
I don't see how it's not fun. It's not like Greninja is incredibly broken beyond extent. It provides a bit of a buff, but I wouldn't be surprised if perhaps it were banned.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
if you're going to ban stages for not letting you see shadow sneak, make sure to ban the ones with odd camera angles too

also ban jumping while you're at it since you can't see the shadow if it's off camera

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex

My post wasn't about my opinion being more valid because its better it's about you not regulating how someone else plays the game when you don't play that way. It's like I went to your house and said that you shouldn't buy meat at your house because I hate meat. I don't live in your house, wtf does it matter whether I hate meat or not?

Your post clearly shows you aren't a very competitive player, as such don't try to regulate the competitive players if you aren't part of the scene.

This isn't that bit of an advantage to Greninja as you make it out to be, if you had more knowledge about the game you would realize. Look, MK has a faster, stronger version of Shadow Sneak that can also move upwards and downwards and requires NO charge and has NO "shadow" warning. Dimensional Cape comes out faster, kills earlier, doesn't have any charge or warning period and has a much more freer angle, the difference is that it has less range and it's much harder to aim, both of which are things that MK control, there is 0 control from the enemy.

By your logic MK is already the best character of this game because apparently Dimensional Cape is the most broken attack of the game and we should just ban MK because of that one attack. I mean, it's just that unfair, right?

Also I wasn't being egotistical and no it wasn't clear that you didn't mean "literally won the second he picked the controller". You said 3 times in a row that no matter what your opponent did Greninja would always win and that the opponent has no way to stop it. If you truly believe that then let me show you how that isn't even close to being true.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
My post wasn't about my opinion being more valid because its better it's about you not regulating how someone else plays the game when you don't play that way. It's like I went to your house and said that you shouldn't buy meat at your house because I hate meat. I don't live in your house, wtf does it matter whether I hate meat or not?

Your post clearly shows you aren't a very competitive player, as such don't try to regulate the competitive players if you aren't part of the scene.

This isn't that bit of an advantage to Greninja as you make it out to be, if you had more knowledge about the game you would realize. Look, MK has a faster, stronger version of Shadow Sneak that can also move upwards and downwards and requires NO charge and has NO "shadow" warning. Dimensional Cape comes out faster, kills earlier, doesn't have any charge or warning period and has a much more freer angle, the difference is that it has less range and it's much harder to aim, both of which are things that MK control, there is 0 control from the enemy.

By your logic MK is already the best character of this game because apparently Dimensional Cape is the most broken attack of the game and we should just ban MK because of that one attack. I mean, it's just that unfair, right?

Also I wasn't being egotistical and no it wasn't clear that you didn't mean "literally won the second he picked the controller". You said 3 times in a row that no matter what your opponent did Greninja would always win and that the opponent has no way to stop it. If you truly believe that then let me show you how that isn't even close to being true.
Nicely worded rebuttal, you bring up some solid points there. I think the MK analogy pretty much summed up your argument. However, I'm sure he knows Greninja won't always win and that was probably just poor wording or a bad attempt at putting an effort forth to make a rebuttal, haha.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Honestly, I feel like the reason it could possibly be banned would be because of it giving Greninja a buff to an already good attack that isn't natural, as in, the buff only occurs on those certain stages and gives Greninja a bit more benefit over other characters. I see the argument there, but I still do not feel it's big enough of a buff or anything really to cause the stages to be restricted at all.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Honestly, I feel like the reason it could possibly be banned would be because of it giving Greninja a buff to an already good attack that isn't natural, as in, the buff only occurs on those certain stages and gives Greninja a bit more benefit over other characters. I see the argument there, but I still do not feel it's big enough of a buff or anything really to cause the stages to be restricted at all.
There's only 4 legal stages and you get 1 ban. Even if they divide FDs into 2 or 3 different stages, all the shadowless Omegas are the same type of FD. If someone truly hated to fight Greninja on shadowless stages they can just ban "Walled Omegas" and be done with it.

But I have a feeling that Prism Tower actually gives us a much bigger advantage since the way the platform changes forces opponents to recover into the center at times which is an opportunity for an Up-B Gimp. I don't know though because the platform layout might also help your opponent land safely from a gimp instead of dying. I need to test that stage further.

Walled Omegas give us wall cling shenanigans though. It's hard to tell yet which stage gives a better advantage currently.

Frozn~

Smash Apprentice
Isn't there a puff of smoke that appears when Greninja initially sends out his shadow? I don't mean the one that makes Greninja disappear, but before that. I was playing on Pictochat today and noticed that it was a pretty good indicator of a shadow sneak.

Spirst

Isn't there a puff of smoke that appears when Greninja initially sends out his shadow? I don't mean the one that makes Greninja disappear, but before that. I was playing on Pictochat today and noticed that it was a pretty good indicator of a shadow sneak.
Nope, I've never seen this. Tried it out myself just now to be sure and nothing.

LiamMail

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Liam5d26
Well it makes the greninja player a little harder as well since the player cannot see the shadow as well, makes it a little harder to time

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Well it makes the greninja player a little harder as well since the player cannot see the shadow as well, makes it a little harder to time
Indeed, actually. But a well seasoned player should know how to time Greninja's attacks, especially an attack like Shadow Sneak. But you have a good point, players who aren't as practiced in timing it and knowing how fast the shadow travels would significantly drop that buff to some extent and probably drop it from making certain stages banned.

Nagu

Smash Rookie
NNID
cartoonguy3
3DS FC
3454-0932-3898
Just asking, are most of you already familiar with shadow sneaks position? I rely on the shadow cos I don't trust my own instincts, esp with the punishability of a missed shadow sneak

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
There's only 4 legal stages and you get 1 ban. Even if they divide FDs into 2 or 3 different stages, all the shadowless Omegas are the same type of FD. If someone truly hated to fight Greninja on shadowless stages they can just ban "Walled Omegas" and be done with it.

But I have a feeling that Prism Tower actually gives us a much bigger advantage since the way the platform changes forces opponents to recover into the center at times which is an opportunity for an Up-B Gimp. I don't know though because the platform layout might also help your opponent land safely from a gimp instead of dying. I need to test that stage further.

Walled Omegas give us wall cling shenanigans though. It's hard to tell yet which stage gives a better advantage currently.
To be honest, I highly doubt these stages will be banned. And if they aren't, this is very beneficial as a Greninja player, as it gives us more versatility for opportunities, especially with SS and wall-clinging shenanigans.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Just asking, are most of you already familiar with shadow sneaks position? I rely on the shadow cos I don't trust my own instincts, esp with the punishability of a missed shadow sneak
It takes practice, I believe Raykz described how to do the two different types of attacks associated with SS. As for timing, that takes practice of course, haha.

Frozn~

Smash Apprentice
Yep it's just timing combined with experience. I've noticed that Greninja seems to heavily punish opponents who don't learn his rhythm. If they recover incorrectly, he uses Hydro Pump for the gimp. If they charge a smash, shadow sneak is pretty imminent. When I think of trying to fight a Greninja who knows how to shadow sneak on Pictochat, I'd probably consider zoning a bit more than usual. It's hard to spam shadow sneak, since there's both startup lag and ending lag. Thus, there should be times where one can expect a shadow sneak, and that can just be learned from feeling out the opposing Greninja. With pivoting/jumping a lot, you can play your own spacing game by running past the expected spawn point and punishing the Greninja on the teleport.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Stages have been banned because of character balance issues and bad match ups, anyway. Stages promoting stupid things is the basis of banning. FD vs platfom stages are general favoritisms towards certain types of characters, not one advantage that is a buff via a gimmick to one (already going to be top tier) character in the entire game. .
According to your logic Smashville in SSBB should be banned because of the free switches that Pokemon Trainer gets there. I think that your logic is flawed though and would not support banning Smashville.

Last edited:

luketavius

Smash Rookie
NNID
luketavius
3DS FC
2535-4467-7043
I say keep all of these stages in for now. The only reason I can think of banning them would be if Greninja was the flat out best character on these stages, to the point where it's extremely unfair (like melee Fox and a wall/walkoff), which doesn't seem likely to happen

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I say keep all of these stages in for now. The only reason I can think of banning them would be if Greninja was the flat out best character on these stages, to the point where it's extremely unfair (like melee Fox and a wall/walkoff), which doesn't seem likely to happen
I mean as I've said before, if you're really afraid of "shadowless" stages just strike/ban FD. You will obviously be left only with Yoshi's and Battlefield (and maybe Prism Tower depending on the person organizing the tournament) all of which have shadows and the problem is gone.

Also in every single tournament that I've gone until now (about 5) either Omega's were banned (could only pick FD) or both parties had to agree to an omega before playing on it (otherwise they would have to pick FD). I haven't seen a single tournament which allows one of the 2 parties to select the Omega he wants. If this is the case then there's no way someone is "agreeing" to play Greninja on a shadowless stage.

Last edited:

木西Galaxy

Smash Rookie

There are a lot of stages that are like that haha : ). It's his stage due to it being filled with "Ninja power" and maybe Naruto though.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I mean as I've said before, if you're really afraid of "shadowless" stages just strike/ban FD. You will obviously be left only with Yoshi's and Battlefield (and maybe Prism Tower depending on the person organizing the tournament) all of which have shadows and the problem is gone.
Striking FD I could go to Omega Battlefield and it's essentially the same thing. Unless you mean not including the Omega forms.
I believe Striking/Banning is archaic and only a partial solution to a greater solution:
Players agree to a Stage to be played on.

Simple as that. It's worked wonders at all the tournaments I've seen use it and starting to spread ever since its inception of "Agree to Smashville?"

Also in every single tournament that I've gone until now (about 5) either Omega's were banned (could only pick FD) or both parties had to agree to an omega before playing on it (otherwise they would have to pick FD).
"Omegas banned" without reason = scrubby.

Agreeing to FD or a random Omega is what everyone I've played with is doing anyway with an off chance someone wants to mix it up with a Battlefield once in a great while.
How about you?

I haven't seen a single tournament which allows one of the 2 parties to select the Omega he wants. If this is the case then there's no way someone is "agreeing" to play Greninja on a shadowless stage.
3DS uses this as a default. So it's going to be a headache trying to enforce a competitively viable ruling against something this trite when the greater solution is there: Play the game.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
i don't think that has much to do with the topic at hand

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Striking FD I could go to Omega Battlefield and it's essentially the same thing. Unless you mean not including the Omega forms.
I believe Striking/Banning is archaic and only a partial solution to a greater solution:
Players agree to a Stage to be played on.
Striking is the exact same thing as agreeing to play on a stage. Like literally the same exact concept. The difference is striking is taking away every stage you don't agree on while "agreeing" is just that.

What you have to think about is, if you pick a character which has an absolute advantage on a stage and the rules say "agree" you could just say: "I won't play on any stage that isn't X". How do you go forward? What do you do? Do you have to give in to what he says or is the whole tournament over? No, you place rules that can be enforced in a correct manner, hence striking.

Banning is completely different, it gives the winner a chance to not be ****ed over by a horrible stage pick.

"Omegas banned" without reason = scrubby.

Agreeing to FD or a random Omega is what everyone I've played with is doing anyway with an off chance someone wants to mix it up with a Battlefield once in a great while.
How about you?
I am not the one banning them, I play Greninja, I would rather have Omegas in order to wall jump and get free shadow sneaks.

The reason they are banned isn't because of balance its because of headaches. It's frustrating being the one to "set the example", no one knows what to do with Omegas and they have no one to follow. They fear that trying to set new rules will make players mad and so they go with the easiest solution: "let someone else decide what to do". In the meantime they just ban them.

Personally I almost never agree to FD because both Yoshi's and Battlefield are mostly good for Greninja and worst for most of the overused characters. Completely character dependant but that's exactly what picking a stage is, character dependant.

This is why Striking is a good thing. I won't play a Bowser on Battlefield becausea Side-B can kil me at 60% and that's all they want to pick. But that's the stage all Bowser's want to pick. Instead of having a discussion about which stage to agree on I just strike that and be done with it.

To answer your question most of my friendlies are in Omegas (about 80-90%) while most of my competitive matches are on Yoshi's.

3DS uses this as a default. So it's going to be a headache trying to enforce a competitively viable ruling against something this trite when the greater solution is there: Play the game.
It's much less of a headache enforcing actual procedural rules than enforcing rules which have no procedures or steps. While your "rules" might seem perfect, it requires both players to be in complete approval of each other's decisions and opinions and that is something that doesn't happen all the time.

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
i don't think that has much to do with the topic at hand
If this was directed toward my post: Then it very much does. Many of my opponents will try to "soft cheat" for advantages, and if Pictochat is a good stage then I have to be prepared how to keep from being cheated out of it.

Striking is the exact same thing as agreeing to play on a stage. Like literally the same exact concept.
Means to the same end maybe, but striking is not "literally the same" as agreeing, imo.
The difference is striking is taking away every stage you don't agree on while "agreeing" is just that.
Ok, so not literally the same.
But the method would still hold to be archaic when an agreement method leads to the same end in an overall more efficient manner - Agreement does not remove striking (on contrary it is inclusive), and with total disagreements being a rarity, striking may be used in those few appropriate times making for an overall more efficient method.

you could just say: "I won't play on any stage that isn't X". How do you go forward? What do you do? Do you have to give in to what he says or is the whole tournament over?
This problem is still present with striking or virtually any other Stage Selection method: a player refusing to play (for any reason) - There would already be Tardiness Rules in place, any competitor who is not playing their match whether present to do so or not will be DQ'd. They must agree to strike, random, or pray to a god to come down on a cloud of fire to determine a stage - however they agree to do it they have a grace period to do it in.

No, you place rules that can be enforced in a correct manner, hence striking.
"Correct manner" is all kind of gray area since it is rather just thrown into the mix without proper definition, doing so can only cause an ambiguous subjectivity. I'll explain by showing how such a jump to conclusion can cause some difficulties here:
Problem now crops up with who strikes first; who gets final choice? Teetering on violating fairness principles here.

Ultimately I said this before and I'll repeat it again: Agreement doesn't remove striking, it is inclusive of it. But it doesn't hit a hard wall when facing a fairness violation. Hence it is a stronger method and as illustrated above, a more efficient one as well.

Banning is completely different, it gives the winner a chance to not be ****ed over by a horrible stage pick.
The question of how or why a player could possibly be "***'d over" by a stage pick could happen in a competitive tournament would be my first question. If competitively sound stages are being used and no violation of fairness principles is being violated then it isn't the stage being horrible, it's the player, at which point real competitors would suggest "get better".

I am not the one banning them, I play Greninja, I would rather have Omegas in order to wall jump and get free shadow sneaks.
Was there someone who said you were banning them? I don't believe I said this.

The reason they are banned isn't because of balance its because of headaches. It's frustrating being the one to "set the example", no one knows what to do with Omegas and they have no one to follow. They fear that trying to set new rules will make players mad and so they go with the easiest solution: "let someone else decide what to do". In the meantime they just ban them.
They'll learn with time, I've been hosting Smash tourneys for about a decade and learned a lot how to keep a competition competitive without scaring away too many of the scrubs.

Personally I almost never agree to FD because both Yoshi's and Battlefield are mostly good for Greninja and worst for most of the overused characters. Completely character dependant but that's exactly what picking a stage is, character dependant.
I'd rather play on FD than Yoshi's, 'cuz for glory.

This is why Striking is a good thing. I won't play a Bowser on Battlefield becausea Side-B can kil me at 60% and that's all they want to pick. But that's the stage all Bowser's want to pick. Instead of having a discussion about which stage to agree on I just strike that and be done with it.
Last time I need to repeat: Agreement is not exclusive, it is inclusive of striking - you can have your cake and eat it too.
Example:
Bowser: I want Battlefield
Greninja: I don't want to go there, how about FD or Yoshi's?
Bowser: No to Yoshi's, let's go to FD then.
(they start their match in less time than it takes to review which stages are "legal" and draw up their striking plans)
Worse case scenario they opt for a strike method (again, wondering who gets final choice in the matter though).

To answer your question most of my friendlies are in Omegas (about 80-90%) while most of my competitive matches are on Yoshi's.
How are you going to Yoshi's, your preferred stage, so often in a competitive matches? Some kind of black magic to get an advantage there? Tell me your secrets *ribbit*

It's much less of a headache enforcing actual procedural rules than enforcing rules which have no procedures or steps. While your "rules" might seem perfect, it requires both players to be in complete approval of each other's decisions and opinions and that is something that doesn't happen all the time.
I'd like to see some evidence for these claims, until then I'll remain skeptical.
Also I'd very much like to counter and say that it actually happens every time...! - that a complete agreement must formally take place for every match that is played out. Otherwise a formal match would never happen, would it?

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Means to the same end maybe, but striking is not "literally the same" as agreeing, imo.

Ok, so not literally the same.
But the method would still hold to be archaic when an agreement method leads to the same end in an overall more efficient manner - Agreement does not remove striking (on contrary it is inclusive), and with total disagreements being a rarity, striking may be used in those few appropriate times making for an overall more efficient method.
This is exactly how it goes down in tournaments.

This problem is still present with striking or virtually any other Stage Selection method: a player refusing to play (for any reason) - There would already be Tardiness Rules in place, any competitor who is not playing their match whether present to do so or not will be DQ'd. They must agree to strike, random, or pray to a god to come down on a cloud of fire to determine a stage - however they agree to do it they have a grace period to do it in.
No, you don't get it. If I have a rule that says you strike a stage then you do just that strike, you don't need to agree on a stage. After each player strikes a stage there's only 1 stage left, if he does not want to play on that stage he is instantly DQ. On a rule where you have to agree there is no way to enforce which player should be DQed. How do you decide which player isn't agreeing to play on which stage? The Bowser player wants BF and the LM player wants to play FD, the ONLY step is agreeing, they aren't there's 0 ways to regulate. This is why every single procedure is done in steps and why the word procedural means just that.

"Correct manner" is all kind of gray area since it is rather just thrown into the mix without proper definition, doing so can only cause an ambiguous subjectivity. I'll explain by showing how such a jump to conclusion can cause some difficulties here:
Problem now crops up with who strikes first; who gets final choice? Teetering on violating fairness principles here.

Ultimately I said this before and I'll repeat it again: Agreement doesn't remove striking, it is inclusive of it. But it doesn't hit a hard wall when facing a fairness violation. Hence it is a stronger method and as illustrated above, a more efficient one as well.
I will agree that there is a huge problem with who strikes first or who picks a character first, but the "agreement method" doesn't make it more efficient, on the other hand it makes it worse. Sure MOST people will just agree to a stage and play on it, it's how it works in the "real world", but setting agreements as a "rule" is not a correct step, it isn't even a step at all.

The question of how or why a player could possibly be "***'d over" by a stage pick could happen in a competitive tournament would be my first question. If competitively sound stages are being used and no violation of fairness principles is being violated then it isn't the stage being horrible, it's the player, at which point real competitors would suggest "get better".

They'll learn with time, I've been hosting Smash tourneys for about a decade and learned a lot how to keep a competition competitive without scaring away too many of the scrubs.
Bowser can kill with Side-B around 50-60% in BF while he can't do that in FD. It gives Bowser a very early, easy KO (unlike landing a smash which isn't as easy as landing a side-B). It doesn't automatically win the fight for him but it gives him a big advantage.

By your own logic there shouldn't be any counterpicking option at all. In fact why play on more than one stage by your logic? Just get better.

I don't know what you're talking about in that last bit but I am talking about the actual competitive scene, top players who don't want to have to pick an Omega just because of the hassle of picking which Omega. As I said, my own opinion is that I would like to play on Omegas but most people don't want to because it's new and everyone is confused about how to treat them.

I'd rather play on FD than Yoshi's, 'cuz for glory.

Last time I need to repeat: Agreement is not exclusive, it is inclusive of striking - you can have your cake and eat it too.
Example:
Bowser: I want Battlefield
Greninja: I don't want to go there, how about FD or Yoshi's?
Bowser: No to Yoshi's, let's go to FD then.
(they start their match in less time than it takes to review which stages are "legal" and draw up their striking plans)
Worse case scenario they opt for a strike method (again, wondering who gets final choice in the matter though).
You're the one who'se not getting it. There's a difference between the rules you have in place in order to enforce players and what actually goes on in the tournie. Agreements happen all the time, it's the most common way of picking the stage but IT'S NOT ENFORCEABLE. As such it can't be placed as an actual "rule", it can only be placed as a suggestion.

Also agreements are included in the process of striking, not really the other way around. If striking wasn't written on the rules I could completely refuse to play on your stage and you can't "strike" mine (or I strike yours). If on the other hand striking is written on the rules we can just forgo the process of striking if we can agree beforehand as striking will just lead to the same outcome.

How are you going to Yoshi's, your preferred stage, so often in a competitive matches? Some kind of black magic to get an advantage there? Tell me your secrets *ribbit*
I ban either FD or BF depending on which one my opponent is best at, normally people pick the closest stage to FD or BF depending on which I banned and in both cases that's Yoshi's (Yoshi's is closer to BF than FD and is closer to FD than BF).

If I lose I normally pick Yoshi's unless my opponent has a clear disadvantage at either FD or BF and didn't outright ban it.

The first match of every game I normally play wherever my opponent wants, I normally just ask "Which stage do you want?" and pick it (yes, agreement) unless my opponent has a clear superiority at a specific stage at which point I would go ahead and strike that stage. The rule for striking needs to be in place in order for me to be able to do that seamlessly without any hassle. If there was no striking rule and "agreement" was the only thing in place then how could we actually get anything done if he wants to play at that stage but I want to play at any other stage?

I could just go ahead and say "Hey wanna play on Yoshi's?" and people might agree with me (and this is what happens 90% of the time). But what if they don't? You need an actual procedural rule that you can regulate otherwise it's all subjective. Objectivity is the laws greatest friend.

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
This is exactly how it goes down in tournaments.
At first it looked like you were disagreeing with me. So, not sure what the discussion was there for.

No, you don't get it.
No, you.
Didn't answer the question who strikes first/last.
And to answer yours: If both players refuse to lay they BOTH get DQ'd.

If I have a rule that says you strike a stage then you do just that strike, you don't need to agree on a stage.
It appears to me that there would be a need to agree on a stage: The agreement would be done with striking.
Again, I hope you see the bigger picture here about the inclusiveness of agreement.

I will agree that there is a huge problem with who strikes first
Well, if you are supporting this method and also the one claiming it has a huge problem then I don't think I'll be using methods with 'huge problems' at my events.

but the "agreement method" doesn't make it more efficient, on the other hand it makes it worse.
If you are making an accusation of "worse" you'll have to provide reason. Otherwise anyone could just use your own logic against you: Nuh-uh, your way is "worse".

Sure MOST people will just agree to a stage and play on it, it's how it works in the "real world", but setting agreements as a "rule" is not a correct step, it isn't even a step at all.
Again, reasons for accusations, otherwise:
"Nuh-uh, your rule is not correct" :^p

Let me know when the huge problem is fixed first though.

Bowser can kill with Side-B around 50-60% in BF while he can't do that in FD.
Bowser can KO at 0% on any Stage. Your point?

By your own logic there shouldn't be any counterpicking option at all.
I agree, why give someone an advantage? That's unfair.
Bring that up to your TO next event and see them sweat ;^)

I don't know what you're talking about in that last bit but I am talking about the actual competitive scene, top players who don't want to have to pick an Omega just because of the hassle of picking which Omega. As I said, my own opinion is that I would like to play on Omegas but most people don't want to because it's new and everyone is confused about how to treat them.
Please reread what I posted, let me know when you figured it out.
BTW, I have been part of the competitive scene for many years (and sorry for tooting my own horn, but also have been a top player in nationals) and I feel you are blanket statementing the "top players". Appealing to authority would be a fallacy, so I won't go on to say what top players have to say on the matter and just leave it reason/logic.

You're the one who'se not getting it.
No, you.

There's a difference between the rules you have in place in order to enforce players and what actually goes on in the tournie.
My attendees come to compete and have fun, I don't need to enforce that, they seem to have plenty of fun competing as it is.

Agreements happen all the time, it's the most common way of picking the stage but IT'S NOT ENFORCEABLE.
I not only see it as enforceable (through DQ as with any reason someone is not playing) but also inevitable. There must be an agreement and always has been in every round ever.
Additionally, I don't need to enforce people to play their games - they come and pay good money to do that, it'd be strange if they didn't agree to play the games.

Also agreements are included in the process of striking, not really the other way around.
Sorry, that would be backwards. No part can be greater than the whole, this is axiomatic.

If striking wasn't written on the rules I could completely refuse to play on your stage and you can't "strike" mine (or I strike yours). If on the other hand striking is written on the rules we can just forgo the process of striking if we can agree beforehand as striking will just lead to the same outcome.
Agreement is inclusive of striking (or any method). One doesn't need a specific rule of striking to allow for it when any method is allowed with Agreement method.
Think it over a bit, it'll come to you.

I ban either FD or BF depending on which one my opponent is best at, normally people pick the closest stage to FD or BF depending on which I banned and in both cases that's Yoshi's (Yoshi's is closer to BF than FD and is closer to FD than BF)
I need a little more info to digest this.
What are the stages usually available for Starter (and who strikes first)?

If I lose I normally pick Yoshi's unless my opponent has a clear disadvantage at either FD or BF and didn't outright ban it.
So you outright get to choose the next stage if you lose?
That is questionable to give one competitor an advantage (especially such a big one), is this a competitive tournament or more a casual one?
I am starting to see why you are playing on Yoshi's so often. And all this time I thought it was some kind of voodoo X^D

The first match of every game I normally play wherever my opponent wants, I normally just ask "Which stage do you want?" and pick it (yes, agreement) unless my opponent has a clear superiority at a specific stage at which point I would go ahead and strike that stage.
Oh, that is very interesting you are using Agreement for first round, at this point it is apparent striking is not necessary... so I guess you've seen my point this whole time.

The rule for striking needs to be in place in order for me to be able to do that seamlessly without any hassle. If there was no striking rule and "agreement" was the only thing in place then how could we actually get anything done if he wants to play at that stage but I want to play at any other stage?
Again, have you seen my point this whole time? Having an Agreement Method allows for efficiency and does not exclude striking nor any other method. It's less of a question of "how" and more of a question of "which".

I could just go ahead and say "Hey wanna play on Yoshi's?" and people might agree with me (and this is what happens 90% of the time). But what if they don't?
Well, are you asking me to play it out?
I think I did with the Bowser & Greninja dialogue. They ended up on agreeing to FD with a worst-case scenario having them strike for stage if you wanted.

You need an actual procedural rule that you can regulate otherwise it's all subjective. Objectivity is the laws greatest friend.
I'm sorry, are you saying the Agreement Method is not actual, procedural, a rule, or none of those?
Again, reason would be needed for these claims.
Objectivity is a good friend, but I am a friend to truth first. ;^)

Top Bottom