• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So Diddy Kong got nerfed again.

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so Diddy Kong players has never been a major issue for me personally. They're too predictable. Nearly every Diddy Kong I've encountered in the past attempted the same technique - the hoo ha. The Mewtwo update nerfed Diddy, which I guess I was kinda OK with. You gotta admit, you knew an up-air nerf was going to come sometime... Despite that, Diddy still played fairly well - according to what my Diddy-main friends told me. Then when the Lucas/Roy/Ryu update was released, they seemed to spank Diddy even harder. Now I actually feel BAD for Diddy players. I feel the Mewtwo patch gave him his necessary nerfs, but it seems like that was only phase one of Sakurai's big Diddy nerf project... Sorry for you Diddy mains out there. I'd be surprised if Diddy was still top tier after all he's been through.

Last edited:

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Diddy really didn't need another nerf. He was fine the way he was. Sheik might need a slight nerf but knowing Sakurai, he'll remove any combo options she has and then move on to the next character and nerf them into trash. I wouldn't be surprised if Roy or Rosalina got nerfed because of people raging. The Roy complaints are extremely ridiculous. Hopefully this doesn't happen and he buffs Diddy back to the way he was in 1.0.6 or he just doesn't overly nerf anybody else at least.

The_Devious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
The_devious97
Ok, so Diddy Kong players has never been a major issue for me personally. They're too predictable. Nearly every Diddy Kong I've encountered in the past attempted the same technique - the hoo ha. The Mewtwo update nerfed Diddy, which I guess I was kinda OK with. You gotta admit, you knew an up-air nerf was going to come sometime... Despite that, Diddy still played fairly well - according to what my Diddy-main friends told me. Then when the Lucas/Roy/Ryu update was released, they seemed to spank Diddy even harder. Now I actually feel BAD for Diddy players. I feel the Mewtwo patch gave him his necessary nerfs, but it seems like that was only phase one of Sakurai's big Diddy nerf project... Sorry for you Diddy mains out there. I'd be surprised if Diddy was still top tier after all he's been through.
Sheik is next

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
If he works on balancing through complaints then that is completely incorrect. I'm starting to doubt his playtest team even tries to contradict Sakurai's thoughts on balancing characters. Seriously take tips from Zero or Jtails ffs, they know what feels rights, hell any tournament player Sakurai or Reggie has met. Ask Hbox and he'd probably tell you to give jiggs a combo and kill throw and make her pound have a bigger hitbox and less ending lag.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
Again not so much an issue of nerfing as it is buffing, though at this point the only nerf I see worthwhile for Sheik would be either nefing her needles more or making her bouncing fish kill a ton later, preferrably the first. But as I said imo, it is more an issue of buffing. Look at Ike (thank god) as an example. He was so slow but with the new speed buffs he got in frames he instantly jumped to the high tiers because he can kill, approach quickly, space well and combo well, and now all of the moves which do that are not only safer, but faster. It is more an issue about meeting the design flaws of characters and correcting them or otherwise just improving what a character already has i.e giving bowser better landing options and improving Samus' hitboxes respectively. If complaints start to be the basis of what Sakurai decides to balance off of then the game will never be balanced well enough to the point that customs won't be needed. As much as I do love customs if every character were to balanced based off their default then customs would break the game, but that can discussed at some other time. Hell look at what all the diddy complaints got us, a **** character, so please stop complaining guys, it only fuels a lack of good balancing and biased choices to edit.

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
Honestly, Sakuri just keeps making it more fun to play this Monkey, I gotta get more and more creative with every update. I mean, it's not like the nerfs haven't created new set-ups we just don't know about yet. Kinda like when Sheik's found out with their nerfed back air kill move, they could now just combo it into a reverse BF, so sometimes things work out?

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
I just hope Sakurai is done nerfing the monkey at this point. Like Diddy's down throw is so bad that a lot of Diddies hardly use that move anymore outside of occasional DI mixups. At least up throw is still a good move.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So, ZeRo took CEO with Diddy I assume? Does anyone have footage of this match? I really am excited to see him pull this off.

Jaylowww

Smash Cadet
NNID
thatdudejono
3DS FC
5086-1719-4466
So, ZeRo took CEO with Diddy I assume? Does anyone have footage of this match? I really am excited to see him pull this off.
You mean EVO? He went Sheik all the way through top 32 except Grand Finals, when he pulled out Diddy against Mr. R. It was mad hype seeing him play Diddy at Grands.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Just saw the whole set. WHAT A HYPE MATCH! Damn! Really glad ZeRo took his Diddy into the grand finals and whooped a Sheik's ass as it should! Amazing creative play, really should be trying out those Battle Field combos of his next time I play!~

Just sharing the match here to share the hype. Every Diddy main needs to see this.

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
Just saw the whole set. WHAT A HYPE MATCH! Damn! Really glad ZeRo took his Diddy into the grand finals and whooped a Sheik's *** as it should! Amazing creative play, really should be trying out those Battle Field combos of his next time I play!~

Just sharing the match here to share the hype. Every Diddy main needs to see this.

That combo made me a believer. I've always secretly wanted to play him, his movement just feels so right to me, but i was afraid of "tier whoring" complaints in my local scene. And then the nerfs supposedly made him high-mid tier, but then i watched the diddyy kongs throughout the tournament. They were so creative. So much so that i think Diddy will be able to bounce back from these nerfs just like Sheik has before him, and that last combo at EVO convinced me this is true.

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
So with 1.10, Diddy Kong was actually buffed. His down smash had an increase in knockback and this Reddit page claims his up smash was modified. Does his up smash connction better overall? It's obnoxious whenever it whiffs, so if this balance patch buffed that aspect of Diddy Kong, thank god. Also, how much earlier does his down smash kill? Is anyone able to do any tests?

Last edited:

Jaylowww

Smash Cadet
NNID
thatdudejono
3DS FC
5086-1719-4466
From what I can interpret from Dantarion's diffs:
  • Usmash hit 1 hitboxes knockback angles got modified
  • Usmash hit 2 hitboxes knockback angles got modified
  • Usmash hit 3 hitboxes were shifted (X and Y direction)
From testing, it seems that it's harder to fall out of usmash now, but the knockback is not directly vertical anymore, so it kills ~10-15% later. I'll need confirmation though from other sources.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Diddy's up smash might now kill 15% later? Oh dear god... It was already a super weak up smash.

Jaylowww

Smash Cadet
NNID
thatdudejono
3DS FC
5086-1719-4466
I haven't really paid attention to usmash tbh, so there's a really good chance that I'm wrong here about the knockback angle. Either way, hits 1 and 2 link so much better now.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
Any idea if smashboards has these buffs posted yet? If not I'm just going to head on to a probably unorganized reddit page.

BlakBlastoise

Smash Rookie
Any idea if smashboards has these buffs posted yet? If not I'm just going to head on to a probably unorganized reddit page.
DIDDY KONG

Usmash hit 1 knockback stronger

Usmash hit 2 different angle

Usmash hit 3 adjusted hitboxes

Dsmash KBG 69/74 -> 72/76

That's from the reddit page. I really wish i could perfect pivot, so i could downsmash stuff better. the first hit of it is still really weak, not really worth using, only the back hit has any reliable KO potential.
What are some good downsmash set ups?

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
Guess I'll have to wait for smashboards to organize this later today. Bright side is robin probably turned into one of the best characters in the game. Reddit is too unorganized and confusing for me to run through anyways.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Does anyone know how much the dsmash knockback growth buff changes KO %s on his opponents?
Like does anyone have prepatch Wii U dsmash KO %?

This is with patch 1.1.0:

KO % with uncharged (buffered after spotdodge) dsmash in training mode on Mario (set to control, doing nothing) in the middle of omega Battlefield:
1st hit: 167 %
2nd hit: 132 %

Also is anyone able to not connect into the following hits when hitting with usmash?
Thus far I've always hit with the followup hits of usmash whenever I hit with one of them.
But maybe they're SDI-able, or some thin characters can get out. Or maybe they can get out if you hit with the tip of the hitboxes. Or maybe it only works if all of these apply.

Last edited:

BlakBlastoise

Smash Rookie
Also is anyone able to not connect into the following hits when hitting with usmash?
It hasn't happened to me much, but has happened, when i hit opponents on the ground, or while they're slightly above me following a downtilt. It seems to fail a lot more when i try to hit someone on battlefields platform. The first hit is stronger, so they sometimes get hit too far for the other two hits to land.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
I hate Diddy's current up air. I'm rarely able to have it combo into itself now because of the disgusting amount of lag added to it.

AvengerV

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AvengerV
I hate Diddy's current up air. I'm rarely able to have it combo into itself now because of the disgusting amount of lag added to it.
Yeah its disgusting how they nerfed Diddy again even though he was perfect after the first nerf. Now Diddy's combos got much worse and up air rarely kills even at 140% sometimes. They literally wanted to kill the character.

Facia

Smash Rookie
All those useless nerf with Diddy are getting really annoying.

Top Bottom