• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So Diddy Kong got nerfed again.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
Of course am mad man. ****ing Sheik remained untouched after Diddy got bat**** insane nerfs last patch and she was preforming better than him. Even ****ing Rosalina got a buff in her Luma's HP. All because of some low life scrubs who keep getting their *** whooped by Diddy complaining about U Air all day.

I'm not disagreeing with you really, at least on the topic of Sheik and Rosa.

I don't think Diddy deserved the nerfs he got this patch, but Diddy is still going to be viable. Which is more than a lot of other people who have dumped endless hours into their low tier mains can say.

Also I really doubt that the "balance" team pays TOO much attention to opinion outside of play testers. Pretty sure Samurai said something about this in an article featured on the front page of Smashboards.

To be fair, 1.0.6 was complete and total justice, especially after seeing so many Diddy mains scoring free cash at tournaments. I would kill to see a DDD main place significantly high in a regional tournament. You didn't have it so bad and to be honest you still don't.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
True. Diddy is still easily Top 5, but he's the only Top 5 character who got touched. While Sheik is the actualy only character with constant succes going on for her. Diddy's reign of power wasn't nearly as long lasting. Anyhow, I do love the buffs characters as DK, Ike, Link and Charizard have gotten...

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
True. Diddy is still easily Top 5, but he's the only Top 5 character who got touched. While Sheik is the actualy only character with constant succes going on for her. Diddy's reign of power wasn't nearly as long lasting. Anyhow, I do love the buffs characters as DK, Ike, Link and Charizard have gotten...
Something else to keep in mind man, and something that is a significant factor in why I continue to try to develop DDDs meta, is the fact that this game is going to receive more updates. A lot of people don't like that, but it's very possible that come October or even possibly sooner you could see some favorable changes done to Diddy.
The game is going to keep changing and the meta is going to keep evolving. The game is going to stay somewhat fresh in a competitive sense seeing picks rise and fall in popularity and viability. Just keep playing keep trying and hope for the best. It's what I do.

I know that's all mostly wishful thinking though.

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
He's not Top 5 anymore. Might be Top 10 but definitely Top 15.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He's not Top 5 anymore. Might be Top 10 but definitely Top 15.
How is that? He's not worse than the likes of :4sonic::4ness::4mario::4fox::4zss::4villager:. I doubt he's even worse than :4luigi::4pikachu: personally. How can a nerf to one move cause him to drop 10 spots? Answer: it can't.

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
How is that? He's not worse than the likes of :4sonic::4ness::4mario::4fox::4zss::4villager:. I doubt he's even worse than :4luigi::4pikachu: personally. How can a nerf to one move cause him to drop 10 spots? Answer: it can't.
Dthrow got worse, Uthrow has less damage, Uair is more situational, Fair may or may not have lost its autocancel. Don't forget there's Sheik, Rosalina, and Captain Falcon to take into account. He's low top tier/high mid tier now.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dthrow got worse, Uthrow has less damage, Uair is more situational, Fair may or may not have lost its autocancel. Don't forget there's Sheik, Rosalina, and Captain Falcon to take into account. He's low top tier/high mid tier now.
I already considered Rosalina and Sheik, they are better than Diddy now, yes. But I don't buy for a second that Luigi, Pikachu, Sonic, Captain Falcon and ect. are better than Diddy now.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Luigi, Pikachu, and Sonic are definitely better than Diddy Kong after this balance patch. Luigi still has amazing kill power, fantastic frame data, and one of, if not the best grab game of any character. With Sonic receiving no nerfs this balance patch, he fares even better than he did the last balance patch. Sonic is easily a top ten character and might even be top five now. Pikachu is absolutely insane. With custom moves enabled, he's the most broken character in the game and he was untouched this balance patch. If don't feel Pikachu is better than Diddy Kong, just watch ESAM. [LINK]

This balance patch really hurt Diddy Kong's throws and up air hardcore. Down throw may do 1% more damage than it did previously, but it has more knockback than ever before and it's way harder to connect an up air from a down throw now. Up throw now only doing 5% damage and less knockback does improve its combo potential, but now it takes forever to get a kill out of a throw. This video sums it up pretty well.

Diddy Kong is not a top ten character anymore. He is "high tier" at absolute best. I don't even consider his up air a good move anymore because it only does 6% damage, okay knockback, it's laggy, and has lousy range. If it weren't for the fact it can still auto cancel, I would consider it lousy up air.

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
I don't see how this makes any sense. Diddy's nerf would have been justified this time around if they nerfed the top ten (:rosalina::4luigi::4sonic::4zss::4sheik::4falcon::4ness: and such). Though doing a bunch of nerfing probably isn't the way you wanna do it. Buffing is probably preferable.
:4falcon:!? First of all he was nerfed badly, and second of all I don't remember him being considered top ten

Snokros

Smash Cadet
honestly i kind of agree with diddy's nerfs being dumb this time around. and there is no reason to be so smug about this shog when it hurts the variaton in top level play(really glad for you about the charizard buff btw :)). i also think greninja should be buffed up to the way he was before the nerfbat hit.

Last edited:

Snokros

Smash Cadet
LETS START A REBELION AGAINST SAKURAI TO BRING BACK 1.07 DIDDY! ANYONE IN OUR WAY SHALL BE TRAMPLED DOWN AHAHAHAHAHA!

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
honestly i kind of agree with diddy's nerfs being dumb this time around. and there is no reason to be so smug about this shog when it hurts the variaton in top level play(really glad for you about the charizard buff btw :)). i also think greninja should be buffed up to the way he was before the nerfbat hit.
Pre-nerf Greninja was even more broken than Diddy. Not a good idea...

Shog

Smash Ace
I am just smug because I want to stir things up(I am a douche that's why)...I honestly hate the nerfs, I always prefer buffs btw!

Snokros

Smash Cadet
ah i see. then i have to excuse myself. i do still think 1.07 diddy should come back and that greninja should be better than it is now(the f-tilt buff is nice though and its still a nice character)though. but i guess most of us want 1.07 diddy back and less powerful characters to get buffed?

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
So is Diddy gonna suffer the same fate or what? :urg:
Honestly, I think the future looks pretty bad for Diddy Kong. Xzax recently stated he's thinking about dropping Diddy Kong. Not because he doesn't feel like he can't win with him, but because many Diddy Kong mains are worried Sakurai will continue to nerf him to the ground so he's just an extremely unsafe character to main. It really sucks. Diddy Kong has been my primary main since about a week after the 3DS version came out and the previous balance patch practically made me relearn how to play as the character because he had to be played so differently. I dropped 3/5 of my mains and put so much time into the character only for a lot of my memorization to be a complete waste because his up air and grab game got considerably worse in yet another balance patch.

I'm questioning if it's even worth bothering with Diddy Kong anymore because I'm tired of having much of my efforts go to complete waste. I have horrific memory issues, so having to relearn what to do with all my matchups after every balance patch is trashing my tournament performances in a game where there's 50+ characters. I can't even practice as much as I want to because my internet is trash, some weekly campus Smash group I go to isn't available in the summer, and campus tournaments don't take place in the summer. I really wish the nerfs that were given to Diddy Kong in 1.06 happened in 1.04 instead if they were ever going to happen at all and he was just left alone afterwards. If Diddy Kong ever gets nerfed to the point where ZeRo feels like he has to drop the character to stay competitive, then it's safe to say the character's competitive future is about as optimistic as Greninja's at best.

Edit-

Regarding Greninja, he was kind of insane prior to his nerfs (similar to how Diddy Kong was kind of nuts prior to 1.06), but Greninja was a character that was way over nerfed which forced Nietono to drop him in favor of Shiek.

Last edited:

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
Greninja may have been a bit over nerfed which is why I think Sakurai is taking a more gradual approach with Diddy Kong. As it is now, I think the Diddy nerfs are about done. His Uair is now the aerial combo move it should have been, his combos aren't exactly ez mode now and he requires more thought.

Orocket

Smash Cadet
I must say that I am a little angry about this patch too. The 1.0.6 patch was necessary and I understood the nerfs to Diddy, but this patch was just so unfair. It makes me feel that Diddy will continue to get nerfed in future updates. Unlike other characters (besides rosa and sonic), Diddy gets a lot of hate for being annoying so I believe that the balance team for Sm4sh will continue to see complaints about our character. Diddy became very infamous early on and I feel that will cause him to keep being looked at and tweaked.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
I must say that I am a little angry about this patch too. The 1.0.6 patch was necessary and I understood the nerfs to Diddy, but this patch was just so unfair. It makes me feel that Diddy will continue to get nerfed in future updates. Unlike other characters (besides rosa and sonic), Diddy gets a lot of hate for being annoying so I believe that the balance team for Sm4sh will continue to see complaints about our character. Diddy became very infamous early on and I feel that will cause him to keep being looked at and tweaked.
No, they're not going to nerf him again. If hes not winning any tourneys, he won't get nerfed. Don't think the other characters won't get nerfed also. Shiek, Sonic, Rosa, and Luigi might be in trouble next patch. Depending on how many people complain I guess.

Orocket

Smash Cadet
No, they're not going to nerf him again. If hes not winning any tourneys, he won't get nerfed. Don't think the other characters won't get nerfed also. Shiek, Sonic, Rosa, and Luigi might be in trouble next patch. Depending on how many people complain I guess.
Yeah hopefully I am wrong. I really don't want to drop Diddy. It's just frustrating right now, but I'm sure we'll figure out how to go about this patch.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Since last patch was in March (03) and this was in June (06), I'd expect a new character or and map pack or and patch in September (09).

On a good note, hopefully the Diddy whine thread will be up for rent :seuss:.

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
After playing with Diddy, he's still fairly decent. The only thing that really got hurt was the Dthrow combo. You can only get one guaranteed Uair off of Dthrow but it's easy to predict and use mind games to get the next hit off depending on where your opponent ends up. I think the Uair stops becoming guaranteed ~60%.

Uthrow -> Uair still works until fairly late percents as usual so there's that.

So far I really see no reason to switch off of Diddy.

Orocket

Smash Cadet
After playing with Diddy, he's still fairly decent. The only thing that really got hurt was the Dthrow combo. You can only get one guaranteed Uair off of Dthrow but it's easy to predict and use mind games to get the next hit off depending on where your opponent ends up. I think the Uair stops becoming guaranteed ~60%.

Uthrow -> Uair still works until fairly late percents as usual so there's that.

So far I really see no reason to switch off of Diddy.
Yep. Upthrow combos are still the way to go. Also dthrow --> bair works at low percentage, sometimes you can string the first bair into another one. The dthrow knock back is so weird.

Something that I've been trying out, which angel Cortes mentioned, is upthrow --> dair, I'm not sure if it's a true combo or not but even if they air dodge you can catch them with an upair on the way down (but I'm not too sure). I haven't been able to test this with a person only the CPUs.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
All this **** if because of these ****ing scrubs complaining about Diddy all day...

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
If you're upset about the nerfs Diddy Kong received in 1.08, please +YEAH and share this post: [LINK] I shared this on Facebook and Twitter.

Last edited:

Snokros

Smash Cadet
will you post this to other threads? if you dont want to i could do it instead if you want.

Snokros

Smash Cadet
well i think 1.08 community patch notes could have supporters. character competitive impressions too(only thing is that it gets so many posts that the post could vanish in the crowd too fast).

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Up to you if you post it in other threads. I don't want it to look like I'm spamming the same post in a bunch of threads.

Reetrider

Smash Rookie

I bemoan the Diddy nerf as much as the next main, but I finally get the opportunity to use this scene from the critic.
...Now if only someone could cut the length and photoshop Diddy's head onto Pacino's...
I really miss this show.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If you're upset about the nerfs Diddy Kong received in 1.08, please +YEAH and share this post: [LINK] I shared this on Facebook and Twitter.
Yes this needs to be shared but I can't cause I don't have Miiverse or Twitter. Anyway, I still think Diddy is a solid Top 10 character, even despite these nerfs. I think it sucks that Sakurai is only looking at the most negative of reactions, and not actually search for actual constructive critism. Otherwise he would've left Diddy alone, and probably focus on Sheik or someone else.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Seems like most people who don't use Diddy Kong are glad about the nerfs even though he didn't deserve them. When I made a post about that Miiverse post in the SoCal Smash 4 group, people were beyond hostile. It was ridiculous. [LINK]

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
Seems like most people who don't use Diddy Kong are glad about the nerfs even though he didn't deserve them. When I made a post about that Miiverse post in the SoCal Smash 4 group, people were beyond hostile. It was ridiculous. [LINK]
Some of those people were absolutely ridiculous, but keep in mind that it's only been 4 days since the patch came out, we don't really know where Diddy Kong will go.

Best not to worry about where he could be from these nerfs and start labbing with what he has. He got a d-throw and a jab buff, so that's a good place to start! I'm sure some reliable grab conversion will be figured out and once it does Diddy will honestly be beast mode again.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
I consider the change to his down throw more of a nerf than a buff because they increased the knockback to the move.

InBOUNDHD

Smash Cadet
2. Do what we always do and find out the best uses for each throw and what combos we can get off each of them.
Like Pazx said, our concern right now should be research on new throws that can combo. What is done is done. There are sure to be more updates in the future, and the meta is not set in stone because of this update, although I am questioning Nintendo's reasoning to nerf diddy more than necessary

Snokros

Smash Cadet
wow w.a.c.....you have my condolences. some people there were toxic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom