• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So, did you win your local tourney?

Royal

Smash Apprentice
I did. Got a free copy of brawl and a chance to win 1000$ shopping spree.

Tourney was butt-easy too...except for 1 dude. (I <3 Kakulza)

So, how did yours go?

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Got to second round, then lost a close match to the eventual Champion (I was about to tie up the game when he grabbed a smash ball).

Reioumu

Smash Lord
WTF, you got a $1000 shopping spree!? All I got was a trophy for mine :/. It was a wrestling trophy that says Smash Bros. Local Legend of Wreckage. I'm going to round 2 next week.

Reioumu

Smash Lord
WTF, you got a $1000 shopping spree!? All I got was a trophy for mine :/. It was a wrestling trophy that says Smash Bros. Local Legend of Wreckage. I'm going to round 2 next week.

Kaa

Smash Cadet
I personally lost the first match, it was Melee 4 man FFA. On Brinstar against two brothers and a random guy. The match after mine they took a vote to make the entire tourney only on FD. I was screwed from the start, I thought it was only Brawl and I was playing that all day (gotta connect with a videogame store owner :D) with my friends and haven't played Melee in months.. Fortunately, a guy from my crew, Momo, won the entire thing and kept that copy of Brawl for himself, oh and $1000 shopping spree.

BungeCakes

Smash Rookie
lol and nintendo wanted all the tourneys to be the same...at my store we played brawl w/ 1 min, sudden death, ONE v. ONE, items on, only starting chars...and no samus lol cause it glitched the system or something. we tried to use the 32-man tournament mode on the system, but it crashed 2 times, so we just did a bunch of non-random single matches. lol we had to keep dying on purpose when ness and marth showed up.

...and no, i didn't win because the wii-mote sux

iluvnintendo1983

Smash Journeyman
My local Game Crazy had two Melee tournaments. One was a 1 on 1 tourney, and the other was a 4 player free for all. I entered both and got into the finals on both of them, but didn't win neither. I took 3rd on the 4 player one, and 2nd on the 1 vs 1. The first place winner and runner up of both tournaments got to play against each other in one match in Brawl. The winner got a free copy of the game. I was the runner up in the 1 on 1 tournament, so I got to be in the final match...but they made me use a Wii mote as my controller while the 1st place winners of the two tournaments got to use Game Cube controllers. So, I did really bad (not to mention it was my first time playing Brawl, while the other people had already played the demo).

BlackEnigma

Smash Rookie
I got a message on my phone from Gamestop on Friday that said that the tournament was 10:00 PM Saturday night. I went to Gamestop at 8:00 PM and they tell me that the tournament was at 6:00 PM. Well I guess that's Gamestop for you.

Went to a Melee tournament just across the street at GameCrazy but for some reason when it was time to enter I just didn't feel like it.

Almost tripped over someone who was dressed as Fox. They had a huge tail connected to, ... well I don't know where it was connected to.

Went back to Gamestop at 11:30 PM and there were over 50 people in the line. Someone dressed as a Pokemon Trainer really played the part down to the book bag and poke balls and everything it was impressive in a strange kind of way.

Rando-Calrisian

Smash Rookie
I Got Screwed

No, I didn't win my tourney, and not due to lack of skill.

I had no idea when I went in that we had to use the ABISMAL wiimote+nunchuck controller configuration. This has to be the worst scheme, next to just the wiimote. I'm so used to the Gamecube controller and having my jump buttons right on top of A and B. I just couldn't adjust in time for the suck *** kid that beat me.

Also, the previously mentioned crap child got to play several times before me for fun and got a chance to get used to the controls, so I just didn't think it was fair.

Nintendo was stupid for being pricks about forcing the crappiest control scheme.

Jiho

Smash Cadet
I just want to shout out to Gamestop: You Suck. You had 1 tv going, you had 4 people playing ffa at a time, items on, and you made everyone else wait out in the cold while the matches were going on. Dont call it a tournament, that's just false advertising

Riolu

Smash Apprentice
I lost the first match. The kids who were 13 and under were constantly yelling at the players to go grab this item or use that move. Of course the Wiimote+Nunchuck combo was so insanely difficult for me to use that it wouldn't have mattered if the kids weren't there.

Oh well i'm glad it's over. XD

nytejade

Smash Cadet
I won, but it was a mess. I consider myself fairly decent at Brawl, and using WiiMote brought me back to Day 1 of awful.

I'm going to call the store doing the District Tourney around here and see if they'll allow classic controllers. I heard from some people that classic controllers were used at certain stores.

With classic controllers i have a chance at making it to at least regionals. With WiiMote + Nunchuck it's pretty much luck. Or maybe I should start practicing with it until saturday. sigh

Royal

Smash Apprentice
Wow, sounds like ya'll got gayed pretty hard.

Hollywood's Gamecrazy is ftw.

3 Stock, FD only, no items, and 1 match only. Finals were best 2/3.

The only thing bad was 2n'd place got 1r'st place prize...a copy of brawl.

I was like.. wtf?

Also, after an hour or so into the tourney, winners bracket got divided from losers bracket.
Meaning if you lost in winners, you were out for good. Losers bracket kids got to play twice, but had to play 4 man FFA. lawl

Wraith

Smash Rookie
Yes I did win. I got lucky though =)

Random Chars,
All Items,
Complete Insanity.

I won a trophy and an invitation to Round 2.

It was Wiichuk controls, 32 players.

Why were so many Gamestop stores using totally different rules, and some even a totally different GAME?!

It was totally screwy, but oh well. See ya'll in Round 2!

=ArtH=

Smash Apprentice
Mine was funny. I won easy R1 against some guy who didn't know how to play. Then R2 I killed myself with Link's bomb in sudden death because I hit the wrong button to throw it. The person didn't even move :(.

jmoney316

Smash Rookie
sadly,no i made it to the semifinals. i was pikachu and everyone wanted me out. i lost to Zamus at a gamestop tournament. 16 players, 2 mins all items on. i think i did pretty good.

RBinator

Smash Journeyman
In a nutshell, yes, and by luck for the most part then actual skill on my part. What follows below is what I think would be considered a long post, going into details of the events.

There are three GameStops in my area and two of them had a tournament at the same time while one of them started before the other two. The plan was for me and three other guys to go to the different GameStops and win. We first went to the one that opened the earliest and found out about some last minute rules, which included Wiimote + Nunchuk only, (we all had GameCube controllers) which they said something about keeping it "equal", Battlefield, items on medium, and one minute matches. The people working there had very little knowledge of how to work the game. In tournament mode, there was some issues with setting up the names and they decided to do regular brawls.

A little less then 30 people showed up and when it came my turn to play, I first played against a Fox as Ike. I was really worried, since it was my first time playing the game and I was hoping if any of my Melee skills with Marth would somehow work with Ike, who played a lot differently. I was getting used to the controls and the Fox had far more trouble then I did. My slow attacks easily took a stock off the Fox, then he SD'd two times before the minute was up.

Since they were doing regular matches, Ness and Marth ended up showing up and simply having them there, even if you didn't pick them, was too much for the GameStop people, so they end up wasting time deleting the data every time. Since both of them show up after very few matches, this happened quite often.

Anyway, I moved ahead to the 3rd round because some people didn't show up and I had to face a Link. I don't remember how the match when down much, but it came down to a sudden death. I knew Ike would have a lot of trouble against Link during this moment, so I hoped that whatever I did work, and somehow it did. I shielded, grabbed him, then back tossed.

Next match it was suggested that I picked Metaknight and I did. I was against Lucas and I was losing. Since it was a one minute match, I was also suggested to run and I did. I got caught by an ice attack, but that was right when time ran out. So it came down to a sudden death and I dash attacked (yet another suggestion) and won.

The final match was a Metaknight ditto, and once again, I was losing, so I ran, again, and it came down to a sudden death, again. I dash attacked and won, again. The other player had the same idea to do dash attack, but he had trouble getting it to work with the controllers. Basically I only won because of getting lucky and because of the bad rule set. I was hoping to win a copy of the game, but all I got was something that said "Smash Bros - Local Legend of Wreckage" that came in silver and details for the next tournament in a week.

It doesn't end there. Me and the others went to another GameStop and the rules were set up different. Tournament mode, three stocks, items on low, random stages, and Wiimote + Nunchuk controllers. An even number of players showed up, so I don't think there was anyone skipping rounds. I liked that one a lot better then the one I went to before. At least that one was a lot more skilled based since there was no time limit or sudden death to abuse.

Anyway, my first match was against my friend's Fox while I played Mario, on one of the sample custom stages that came with the game, the one that is surrounded by walls with spikes on top. Such a bad match up for me and I only won because he SD'ed at the beginning, because otherwise without being ahead a stock, I would have lost.. Next I was up against a Link on Norfair and I beaten him down pretty good, then I went up against Lucas on Hyrule Temple, who ran away a lot while I was beating him down. The final match came down to one of the guys who came with me, on PicoChat against his Fox, who won by lifting me off the screen in the Landmaster.

By then the GameStop people found out I already won another store tournament, so I wasn't even suppose to have competed, so the guy who beaten me had a match against the Lucas I beaten earlier. Lucas won and the player got the same thing I got, except it was gold while I only had silver. Not sure how that worked out. He even said how he would have done better with a GameCube controller, which I and many others would have too, but he said it in a way that suggested he only lost because of that despite me winning by a stock ahead and him running most of the time.

That's my life story.

StellaNova

Smash Journeyman
I won my tourny, 1v1, 2 minute, items on, wii-mote config. On a side note, the wii-mote config. isn't so bad if you assign the down arrow on the d-pad to jump. This allows for the jump button to be directly above the a button and feels much nicer. I got the Golden Wrestler Trophy and a $20 Giftcard to Gamestop. : /

neowulf297

Smash Rookie
Yeah I lost in the second round to my friend that i constantly beat the crap out of in melee. Oh the irony! **** you wii-mote and smash balls!

BlackFoxPariah

Smash Apprentice
I lost the immediate match before the final round. It was at norfair and the kid was pikachu and just spammed down+b the entire match. I could have easily won had I played with the wii mote + nunchuk before, and if there wasn't this awful input lag on this garbage HDTV. I got the furthest out of my friends. My friends lost in embarassing and stupid ways. XD

nytejade

Smash Cadet
I called the store in my area that's doing districts... I asked if we could use classic controllers, and the store manager said "No, no classic controllers, no gamecube controllers." So we're doomed to WiiMote + nunchuck again. Luckily I've been practicing this configuration all week, and seem to be doing quite well with it.

We'll see if I show up in the "So, did you win your district tourney?" thread. :)

Copperpot

Smash Ace
I lost the very, very first match of the tourney . . . the "guinea pig" match, I call it.

Basically, the Gamestop reps started up our match and handed us each others controllers. I watched helplessly as my opponent ran my Bowser straight off the edge with only 55 seconds left. The opponent was using Ike.

Needless to say, I lost by one point. Now, I don't really care that I lost, but moreso that I had to go back out into the freezing cold and stand around with a bunch of rabid 'tards shouting "Loser!" the entire time . . .

No class, I tell ya.

Top Bottom