• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So, Dedede was placed in G tier. . .

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
The SWF community tier list has now officially locked in G tier, and dedede has had the misfortune of being placed in it, which is basically the bottom tier if you don't count H tier which consists solely of the mii swordsman. Albeit, he was placed at the top of G tier, but this is still a major downgrade from brawl, even though I feel that he was improved greatly from brawl. Thoughts? Is this really truthful? Or is DDD underrated by the majority of the smash community?

Click here for the SWF tier list

Last edited:

Cook

Smash Master
I definitely think DDD is decent, but I guess I don't know who is worse than him. I feel like after the top 10 or so most of the other characters are pretty close to each other. Where is this list you're talking about?

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
Who cares. We all knew D3 would be placed mid to low tier, and the characters without a lot of representation are going to get placed lower. There are virtually no D3s that are even remotely famous and placing high in tourneys, minus maybe Pump Magic.

Playing D3 isn't about him being the best, it's about having a good time and exploiting your opponent's ignorance of the matchup. If you really want to win tournaments, I would honestly suggest another character. He loses to crappy Diddys and Luigis, and has a really tough time against good Rosalinas, Foxes, ZSSs, Mega Mans, Sonics, and Pikachus. Needless to say, these characters are all incredibly prominent in the competitive scene.

D3 is hardly the worst character in this game. He's somewhere in the middle, but people aren't going to give him a chance because he's a rarely played clunky heavy in a meta all about speed and movement.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Who cares. We all knew D3 would be placed mid to low tier, and the characters without a lot of representation are going to get placed lower. There are virtually no D3s that are even remotely famous and placing high in tourneys, minus maybe Pump Magic. . .
Well, that is something I could agree with. I have played over a thousand matches in 1v1 FG, and only played against 2 good DDDs. But the thing is, I have tried many other characters, and I believe that I am decent with about a quarter of the cast, but I just can't use any of them nearly as well as I can use DDD. Even against his worst matchups, sometimes DDD is the best character I can use against my opponents. It is easy to see how the general public would discredit DDD as a troll character, and meant for pure silliness since good DDDs are exceedingly rare online, and he is pretty silly in general. Although it is pretty obvious at the beginning of most matches that people are expecting to face a bottom tier character, and I can usually get a good starting combo off before they realize that this will actually be a close match (hmmm, maybe being bottom tier has its benefits). Well, I guess the fact that DDD reached the top of his tier shows something.

Where is this list you're talking about?
I have added a link to the OP

Last edited by a moderator:

manueluno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
manolonoe
I think King Dedede is heavily underrated... but I prefer it that way.

Tears will be saltier.

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
Ha! Having King Dedede locked in G Tier only means we can increase the shame upon our enemies head when we destroy them with him!

The King D himself is definitely not G-tier. He, like you said just has no representation. I can consistently beat foxes on for Glory with Dedede because his attacks have enough hitstun to slow fox down enough to be locked in your combos. And that Gordo+hammer has to be the most OP side-B ever.

But this list has to be crap...I mean, they even put Doctor Mario and Game and Watch in G Tier. I think the Doc is way better than regular Mario. SPEED != WIN. GRAB SPAM != SKILLED.

Last edited:

Prawn

Smash Master
unless you're losing to pretty much only the best players in your region, it's not Dedede's fault, it's yours. Only the upper tier of players really prey on d3s weaknesses and don't fall victim to his strengths. He's more then capable of winning you a lot of sets

Also there's something to be said for matchup inexperience, I get some ridiculous strings off on people who aren't familiar with how to di and avoid stuff. So yeah, unless you're plateaud behind "top players" in your area it's not the character holding you back

Last edited:

Watchful_Eye

Smash Apprentice
A good dedede is something I really fear. He lives long, he can edgeguard even though he is heavy, he has a kind of projectile (though flawed) and he has range. Usually people tend to overrate their mains, but from my lower competitive level I feel like you are on point here. Even funnier when people seem to think ganon, who is obviously much more limited, is better.

His name expresses it already - DDD is D Tier (in my opinion, at least).

Last edited:

Prawn

Smash Master
Yep. He edgeguards well, punishes hard, good recovery, lives long. If and when I seriously pick up a secondary I can see myself using d3 a lot for wins in bracket still. But as of right now im still bad enough where it's not warranted. I just need to improve in general.

Last edited:

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
D3 is underrated, we all know that.
But hey, time for him to rise to power as the one true king of Smash!

But seriously, his matchups keep him from being TOP, but I think we can say he's probably mid-upper mid.

Fugibean

Smash Cadet
I personally feel slow strong characters are never given the chance. I don't think that DDD is really good but he is not bad. In general, besides the top 10 the game is really balanced. Plus having a low tier character is good because when you lose you can be like well be character is G-tier so... Its a built in john

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Eh, I personally believe the SWF tier is kinda blatantly ******** misguided anyway.

Honestly, I was really happy when I found out that everyone else thinks the Dedes is bad. (Cuz he's not, and us dedicated DDD players know that.)

Here is math:
(:4dedede:+ Me) x (Opponent + Generic High-tier) / (Opponent's ignorance of low-tier :4dedede:) x (My knowledge of high-tiers because everyone plays them) = Opponent + :shaker::shaker::shaker::shaker::shaker:

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
The japanese have him ranked in C tier. He is the highest ranked fatty over Bowser, DK, Ganondorf and Charizard. https://game8.jp/matome/16664
I think that here, people just underrate heavy characters overall since they lack big combos and get comboed the easiest. But we know that a Diddy 3 string Ho hah<A well read Dedede Fsmash.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Here is math:
(:4dedede:+ Me) x (Opponent + Generic High-tier) / (Opponent's ignorance of low-tier :4dedede:) x (My knowledge of high-tiers because everyone plays them) = Opponent + :shaker::shaker::shaker::shaker::shaker:
I never thought about that until now, but it is true, nobody ever knows dedede's strategies. They aren't used to fighting him, so they frequently fall for some of his tricks. I have also had some of the most trouble with characters rarely played that make them unpredictable. I remember playing a skilled charizard once (chars may be common, but not skilled ones), and I don't think I won a single match against him, which is embarrassing considering that this same tier list put charizard as the worst non-Mii fighter. But give me a diddy, sheik, rosalina, or another frequently played character, and I know exactly when to dodge, punish, evade, where to DI, and how to approach/defend. Hooray for low tier!

Last edited:
NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
In a way, low-tier is high-tier and high-tier is mid-tier but in the end everyone is a winner so tiers don't really exist in the first place.

Hoo boy am I deep or what go dedede yeaaah

---
But yeah, I've always thought that. I think my hardest matchup right now is Olimar, because no one ever seems to play him. I don't ever know what to do.
Diddy Kong and the others are just predictable, and that's already half the battle won right there.

Last edited:

NoMarthLeftBehind

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4098-3979-7704
I never thought about that until now, but it is true, nobody ever knows dedede's strategies. They aren't used to fighting him, so they frequently fall for some of his tricks. I have also had some of the most trouble with characters rarely played that make them unpredictable. I remember playing a skilled charizard once (chars may be common, but not skilled ones), and I don't think I won a single match against him, which is embarrassing considering that this same tier list put charizard as the worst non-Mii fighter. But give me a diddy, sheik, rosalina, or another frequently played character, and I know exactly when to dodge, punish, evade, where to DI, and how to approach/defend. Hooray for low tier!
Really? To me it seems like they just run into his attacks. It's annoying because the Dedede wins due to not me, but others.

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
I wouldnt worry too much about it as literally 90%+ of the swf community actually has no place in voting for such a tier list. Hell even that new jp list is terrible. There are no reliable tier list out there as of now. not enough data.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
I don't think the current tier list is very accurate, but I'm not going to blindly dismiss it because my favorite character isn't top tier. To be honest, I don't mind Dedede's tier placement. In fact, I prefer using underused characters. I feel like a special snowflake.

:tired:

AlextheTwin

Smash Cadet
Personally I feel DDD belongs in the E tier in that list. For sure he's mid tier at best, but he's certainly not at the bottom.

I think the biggest issue pushing him low is almost nobody knows how to use gordos correctly. Lots of people write it off as a huge negative because of the reflection, but it's a great tool when used correctly...and in a tricky way. Everybody wants to use it like they do every other projectile.

Overall though, minus Shiek and Diddy I feel the entire cast of characters is somewhat well balanced. I don't think there's a huge gap between the B tier and E tier on that list. A is a clear step above, and the 2 characters we all know in the S tier are clearly overpowered and need damage/knockback nerfs, and perhaps a smidgen of lag added as well.

I actually think that list is somewhat on point other than DDD and G&W I have only minor issues with it.

Last edited:

NoMarthLeftBehind

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4098-3979-7704
I don't think the current tier list is very accurate, but I'm not going to blindly dismiss it because my favorite character isn't top tier. To be honest, I don't mind Dedede's tier placement. In fact, I prefer using underused characters. I feel like a special snowflake.

:tired:
I feel that way when using Marth. However, there are more D3s than we're giving credit for. I've fought quite a few online and most of them aren't very hard to counter, to be honest. D3 should be higher on the tier list, but not too much higher.

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
At worst, I think Dedede is low-mid tier. Despite me being a dedicated Dedede player, I don't quite feel like he has what it takes to take on other characters, specifically quicker characters who can combo Dedede to hell and back due to him having such a large hitbox. I do not really like that there are tier lists; I mean, yes, top-tiered characters achieved notable success, but we really can't frown upon the lower-tiered like that. Some might have amazing potential that is yet to be revealed, who knows?

Last edited:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
My biggest thing with DDD is that he has a hard time killing against if you are fighting a really good player because all his killing moves are really not practical to do in a high caliber match.

Leaves me just itching to hit em with a dash attack or back air to kill em but there is a time and place...and if i lose it bugs me to no end..because if i was ganondorf he would have been dead long ago but then again if i was Dorf i guess i wouldnt have got as far as i did...

Happened today Me vs a Rosalina....

Bowser is just brutal though...i wish the heavies were all as good as bowser.
I main DDD he is great.
But no way he is better than G tier that is disrespect...

He may not be as good as R.O.B though...he is dirty

DDD is low C or D tier imo.

@ Watchful_Eye Watchful_Eye i main Ganon he is all i used to be for a very long time i feel like i know everything about him and i can tell you DDD is a better character not just saying that because Ganon vs DDD is hell for the ganon player.

@ Banjo-Kazooie Banjo-Kazooie how is lucario so high? I think he is trash imo...better in brawl.
Is there something i dont know?

Last edited:

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
I love Dedede, he's my favorite character. But, having played in tournaments with him I don't disagree too much about where he is on that tier list. I think he should be about 5 spots higher, but not too much higher.

Dedede just has too many bad matchups. He's losing probably against every single character in the top 10. Just look at the Dedede matchup discussion thread here: http://smashboards.com/threads/read...currently-discussing-lucario-7-9-7-13.395045/

We've covered 14 characters and Dedede doesn't have a single positive matchup yet.

Some, like ZSS and Sonic are near impossible. His huge hitbox and bad frame data is just too much to overcome for him to be a competitive tournament character. He gets combo'ed to hell by good players, he doesn't have good approach options and he can't deal with getting camped. He's losing to pretty much every character with good zoning options and pretty much every fast character with good dthrow combo options.

It's sad really. It's unfortunate he doesn't have more tools to deal with the top tiers. I wanted to main him so badly but I've recently converted to using my 2nd favorite character, Wario, after maining Dedede since release and oh man does it feel good not to have to outplay everyone so hard to win games.

I'll still use Dedede often as a counterpick when the matchup isn't a bad one, but he's too risky to use as my primary main at tournaments. Crossing my fingers Dedede gets a buff in a future patch so I use him as my primary main again.

Last edited:

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Even though I totally believed DDD was at least mid tier when I started this thread, I now kinda believe basically the same thing as the above post. DDD is still too low on the tier list, but he is so friggin hard to use in a competitive setting. I have serious respect for anyone who has succeeded with him at competetive tournaments. Seriously, how do you even fight sonic? Who is a commonly played character at tourneys? DDD may handle other heavies really well, or other characters that can't easily take over the neutral game, but let's be honest, nobody plays those kinds of characters competitively, or at least very few, and those few are so good with them that they are still hard to beat! I have realized that DDD is low tier, not bottom tier mind you, but low tier. I honestly don't see DDD becoming a tournament threat. However, even after being convinced he is low tier, I will never abandon the triple D. The lower tier he is the more adamant I am about trying to prove his worth to other people. Thats basically the same reason I made charizard my secondary somewhat recently. The first version of the tier list made him the worst non-Mii character in the game. That was probably the most inaccurate placement on the entire tier list. Charizard is actually fast, has spacing options, has an amazing punish game, and lots of super armor. Even he isn't even close to top tier, but I will fight for my two bottom tier boys until they get the recognition they deserve! (It looks like both of these characters are going to be raised on the list this time. Good.)

Last edited:

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
Even though I totally believed DDD was at least mid tier when I started this thread, I now kinda believe basically the same thing as the above post. DDD is still too low on the tier list, but he is so friggin hard to use in a competitive setting. I have serious respect for anyone who has succeeded with him at competetive tournaments. Seriously, how do you even fight sonic? Who is a commonly played character at tourneys? DDD may handle other heavies really well, or other characters that can't easily take over the neutral game, but let's be honest, nobody plays those kinds of characters competitively, or at least very few, and those few are so good with them that they are still hard to beat! I have realized that DDD is low tier, not bottom tier mind you, but low tier. I honestly don't see DDD becoming a tournament threat. However, even after being convinced he is low tier, I will never abandon the triple D. The lower tier he is the more adamant I am about trying to prove his worth to other people. Thats basically the same reason I made charizard my secondary somewhat recently. The first version of the tier list made him the worst non-Mii character in the game. That was probably the most inaccurate placement on the entire tier list. Charizard is actually fast, has spacing options, has an amazing punish game, and lots of super armor. Even he isn't even close to top tier, but I will fight for my two bottom tier boys until they get the recognition they deserve! (It looks like both of these characters are going to be raised on the list this time. Good.)
YES. Low tier respect! I will never renounce Dedede, he will forever be my #1 main.

Icarus Nocturne

Smash Rookie
NNID
IcarusNocturne
3DS FC
2363-5661-9383
Honestly, I think the reason he's so low is because he has almost no representation in most major tournaments I see. He's heavily under rated and needs to be used more in streamed tourneys.

Top Bottom