• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So, are you sticking with Samus?

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
Every frame counts, my friend, even if it's just one. Is there a certain move that Samus should be granted invincibility on, even if it is just one additional frame?
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with them making that fix, as tiny as it is. My point was, they took the time to fix that, yet they make zero changes to characters like Samus who really need them. It just doesn't make any logical sense.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Well while everyone runs away ill stay here, striving to be the best Samus i can. Seriously who else will give you the determination to play Smarter than your opponent. I can blame the character, and it would be a justifyable excuse. But thats all it will be an excuse, im going to take that handicap and use it to forge me into an intelligent fighter. Not one who relys on the best frame data and options, but one who preys on the ignorance and imperfections of others. I want to develop new meta, push the boundaries of conventional thinking and be the best Samus I can be. Im not planning on being a world champ or a tourney threat. To be honest my personal life keeps me too busy for such endeavors. But its that tremendous challenge that intrigues me.

I mean look at all the brand new tech that was found in just the last month. How can you all not be excited?
FlAlex FlAlex no one will fault you for running from this fight, but are you making an informed decision or an irrational one forged in the heat of dissappointment and frustration?

In fact i want all the J tiers as my secondaries, why? Because their struggle and restrictions open the door for the most creative of solutions. Im picking up Zelda later this week.

When you main a low tier its important to have a state of mind thats focused and at peace. Otherwise you will be miserable. Not everyone can do this, and im not chastizing those who cant. It takes a special mind and heart to put up with the struggle, so i hope to all those that leave find something that makes them happy.

Last edited:

Hapajin

Smash Apprentice
For me, I don't necessarily want Samus (or other J-tier characters) buffed because I want to play better against other people. I can understand people wanting Samus buffs to make her more tournament viable, but I'm fine just casually dabbling in the Samus arts.

Personally, I just want Samus buffed because I think she would be more fun. What if Samus had an option "X" "y" or "z" because of a buff instead of just having option "x"? That's one reason I like PM and melee Samus, I enjoy the options. What if her jab worked? What if f-tilt was safer on hit? What if missiles were better? What if d-air had a bigger hitbox? Things like that.
I already enjoy Samus as she is and I won't ever being dropping her, but when I know i could be having more fun with her, it's a bit discouraging.

Flux0r

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Flux0r
I already dropped her back in June, and i actually feel much less weight when playing a better character than her.
It's not fun when you need to put in 3x amount of effort for a single win.

Everyone is free to play whoever they want, but most low-tier mains will hit a point where they can clearly see how much they handicap themselves by playing their character. There's nothing wrong with trying new stuff, you may even discover a new passion. You can be creative amd smart with other characters as well, regardless of their viability.

I tried my best with her, but at this point she isn't a redeemable character. Zero Suit Samus feels like her without any strings attached, it feels amazing.

Besides, if you're only playing this character just so you can have an excuse each time you lose, is a really sh**ty mindset to have for any competitive game.

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
I mean look at all the brand new tech that was found in just the last month. How can you all not be excited?
FlAlex FlAlex no one will fault you for running from this fight, but are you making an informed decision or an irrational one forged in the heat of dissappointment and frustration?
The new tech? Dreamland jump is possibly unreliable because of how tight the inputs need to be, and because of the limited stages it works on it will be incredibly situational (even more situational than most of Samus' other moves). Tether-Ledge-Trump I can see being incredibly useful, given Samus' good ledge trump and Bair, but if Missile-Ledge Trumping didn't improve her meta much, I don't expect this to either (Or it was patched out before it could have been optimized, I will admit that).

Look, JAZZ_ JAZZ_ , I'm like you. I have way too many personal things going on to attempt a tourney, and the ability to take Samus up a level is tempting, but the developer's don't share the same vision we have of a competitive esport. Sakurai has stated before we should look elsewhere for tactical fighting games, and this prevailing attitude is just the straw that broke the camel's back. I won't go into personal dribble, but I have another asperation, one much grander than taking Samus to her peak performance. And that dream, I know, people will support; I am trading one set of reluctant supporters in for another group more numerous and dedicated (no offense, guys). So am I doing this out of disappointment and frustration, d@mn straight, but hopes are irrational to begin with.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
The new tech? Dreamland jump is possibly unreliable because of how tight the inputs need to be, and because of the limited stages it works on it will be incredibly situational (even more situational than most of Samus' other moves). Tether-Ledge-Trump I can see being incredibly useful, given Samus' good ledge trump and Bair, but if Missile-Ledge Trumping didn't improve her meta much, I don't expect this to either (Or it was patched out before it could have been optimized, I will admit that).

Look, JAZZ_ JAZZ_ , I'm like you. I have way too many personal things going on to attempt a tourney, and the ability to take Samus up a level is tempting, but the developer's don't share the same vision we have of a competitive esport. Sakurai has stated before we should look elsewhere for tactical fighting games, and this prevailing attitude is just the straw that broke the camel's back. I won't go into personal dribble, but I have another asperation, one much grander than taking Samus to her peak performance. And that dream, I know, people will support; I am trading one set of reluctant supporters in for another group more numerous and dedicated (no offense, guys). So am I doing this out of disappointment and frustration, d@mn straight, but hopes are irrational to begin with.
Dont forget the up throw combos and frame perfect sh double uair that kay recently showed. But i sorta understand, in a way. If you feel like this is what you need i fully support your decision.

Last edited:

Finanzberater

Smash Rookie
Hey there,

edit: great first post! doh!

edit2: it really bugs me that all my mains keep disappearing from one game to another, like mewto, snake and probably cloud/bayonetta in future installments.

so I thought to myself why not main someone who is there, hopefully, forever. And as much i like Link, he always was more of a cheap excuse because his dair always cancle out the AI, so it was more a comfort move rather then out of own interests.

so after reading lots of threads about Samus and her role as J-Tier i am excited to overcome those obstacles and get into it. Also love her gameplay since good ol' 64 days!

usually i prefer allrounder and hard hitters, like Link, Bowser, Ike, Cloud and so on... but after playing bayonetta (witch is fun) i also get into light, fast hitting characters (still hate shiek lol)... where am I? oh yeah now, i want get rid of another weakness of mine, which is zonening and i think Samus hits all these wises perfectly so i will start to main her right know.

clearly you may ask why I wrote this now, and to be honest i really dont know... lol anyway samus wont die someone will always keep playing her, maybe they arent the best but they always give their best. ;)

Last edited:

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
Every frame counts, my friend, even if it's just one. Is there a certain move that Samus should be granted invincibility on, even if it is just one additional frame?
Also, another point to make about this change to trip get-up i-frames on a handful of characters is that it pretty much isn't going to make a difference to the meta. Nobody is going to try to read your get-up option off a trip, they are going to run in and take advantage while you are tripped and in a helpless state. And outside of the Diddy MU tripping is pretty rare to begin with.

Again, I'm not saying it's a bad change or they shouldn't have done it, but when I see them actually taking the time to make a change such as that and no effort has been made to fix characters like Samus, it just leaves me frustrated.

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
I never grew up with Smash 64, but just knowing that Samus Aran was one of the original 12 characters means that she was eligible to be a possible representative of Nintendo in am All Star fighting game. Any negligence on her end is really really sad. I actually want to cry for this character that I use as a tertiary.

Shuckle_SSB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkFire5136
3DS FC
4124-5307-8608
I vowed from the first day that Samus was shown at E3 2014 that I would main this character and become the best with her no matter what. Back then I never thought I'd get to where I am now. I've never played a smash game competitively until smash 4, and so far its been a fully charged blast. ;)

I've come so far to just give up, so I won't. I've beaten the best Link in SoCal with Samus and taken K9sbruce to game 3 in pools once with Samus. No way I'll quit after knowing I have that potential! But, in the end I still want to win. That's why I'm going to start using Sheik more in competition to learn more and get better with her. I really enjoy both characters, so I don't care what people think if they diss me for using her as well. I'm not dropping Samus by any means though. Jwest I'm sure we can all agree has given us all hope in recent times. Defeating Mr. Con Con and taking ZeRo himself to game 3 in pools. :)

So my final roster will probably consist of Samus and Sheik for competitive play.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I suspect that a lot of players here have loyally stuck to Samus in Smash 4 in the hope that one day she might receive some decent buffs through a patch. We now have the game's final DLC, and we have quite possibly received our last balance patch along with it. That's not 100% confirmed of course, but let's face it, it's unlikely even if we do get another balance patch that anyone besides Bayonetta and/or Corrin will be significantly adjusted.

For patch after patch, we've stuck with the character. As a community, we've waited, we've persevered with the silly design decisions, we've made videos, we've watch as other characters have been buffed time and time again, hoping the Smash 4 team will one day notice us and give us some help. But at this stage, it seems pretty unlikely that's ever going to happen. I imagine Zelda, Ganondorf and Jiggs mains are sharing in our disappointment right now too.

So I think the question now needs to be asked, are you going to stick with Samus, particularly in competitive play? As the meta develops further, unless a miracle patch comes along it just seems like she's going to slip further and further behind. I know I myself am now contemplating switching away from Samus as my main. It's not something I want to do, given the amount of hours I've sunk into learning this character, but ultimately, it may be a decision I'll need to make at least at a competitive level.

Are you sticking with Samus, or are you done with her?
Ganon got buffed alot i think you mean DDD...
DDD didnt get a single buff but he got nerfed...

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
I'm definitely sticking with Samus, she is simply my favorite character to play with in Smash 4 and that hasn't changed.

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
I'm definitely sticking with Samus, she is simply my favorite character to play with in Smash 4 and that hasn't changed.
I am glad to hear that you are not giving up. Samus Aran is fun to play IMO, even though I use her as a tertiary.

Squaddle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gaulderdash
Honestly, I really don't know at this point.

Every match feels like an increasingly steeper uphill battle... Obviously Samus has a couple of really bad high tier matchups, but the sheer number of crappy games i've had since cloud's release is just really killing my enjoyment of the game. Maybe its the fact that there's just swarms of bayonettas and clouds on FG and Anthers ladder now, or maybe I'm just fed up with around a year and a half of Samus being a high-risk//low-reward character the dev team overrates and doesn't feel like needs reworking, but its just not fun anymore.

I love this character and really enjoy her playstyle but if the smash team really is disbanded and this is the final state of the game... things are looking grim.

S.P.A.D.

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lavama
I'd have to say I'm finding myself leaning towards Squaddle in this. Ever since I tried Samus out in Smash 64, I've been using her as my main character the entire time Smash has been around. I don't know if it's the straight up inability to continually practice and work on my own flaws and weaknesses in Smash, or something else. I've never seen a character as an excusable handicap for a player (Mostly stemming from Snake Eyez in Street Fighter 4), but I do believe that different characters are harder to do things with that other characters have an easier time with (I.E. Chun Li and Jill in UMvC3.) It's very tempting to switch to a character that is of a higher tier with the limited time I have to spend on playing and improving my own limitations of the game.

To make it quick and easy, I'm definitely thinking of taking a small break from Samus (And maybe Smash in general, at the very least competitive Smash) but not at all drop her. I'm just constantly hitting a brick wall and trying to break it using a spoon, and am not having fun with a game I payed a good deal of money to play. (I could have definitely used said money spent on my Wii U on getting a kick ass computer tower.)

Mr. Sparkle035

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hellstorm32
I've never played Smash before March of last year. I used to be a (cringe for the insults) Call of Duty player. I then switched to Destiny after becoming burnt on the same thing over and over. I needed a story, and I was still loving FPS games so it was logical to me. We all know how that worked out. I decided that I wanted a Nintendo console because I haven't owned one since Super Nintendo, and I missed the company that made me fall in love with games in the first place.

My wife bought me a Wii U for Christmas, and I didn't get Smash until March of 15. First time picking it up, I played Toon Link (mostly because I was also playing through Wind Waker HD), and my second character was R.O.B. I got into Samus shortly after, and she was the first character I beat the single player mode (on 4 intensity lol) with.

I stopped playing after a month due to no friends to play with and having a rough time staying interested in what the single player had to offer. Online was not an option due to matches consisting of me bouncing around on the stage the entire match like a newborn puppy in the mosh pit at a Slayer concert.

I went to a local Smash tourney in July of 15, and played as ZSS. I was destroyed rather quickly, but I made a lot of friends and started really learning the game and my love of Samus began.

The tournaments are monthly in my area at a local game store, so I go every month. The last one I played at I got 6th place out of 17, and the highest I've placed in a tourney yet was 3rd, so im getting better! But really I can't leave Samus. She is waaaay too fun for me to drop. I'm picking up more and more tactics every day, and I'm recording matches and always seeking ways to improve. I know I'm much better than I was, but I'm no pro... Yet. I'm going to continue with Samus until I get bored with her, I'm not going to switch mains until that happens. I've dabbled in some of the high tears (sheik, rosalina) but I find them to not be quite as fun as Samus.

Also, there's something hilarious about when your opponent sees you pick Samus and smirks, like they think they have it in the bag and you hit them with a dash attack followed by uair, uair, upb. I've 2 stocked people in tourneys who scoffed at my pick of Samus with 40% health left. I don't get those looks when I main sheik, and that's a lot of fun :)

Last edited:

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
It's not that I'm ditching Samus but more so I'm ditching Smash in general. I am so utterly disappointed with Smash 4. I'm like some oddity however it seems as everyone else is ecstatic over it. Hard to have fun with it when every single franchise I enjoy from Nintendo was crapped on in Smash 4 with the exception of Mewtwo. All the Ridley excuses like not wanting him to fly if he was on the roster, Samus being so poor and getting no significant buffs, no new Zelda newcomers, no major Ganondorf moveset changes, and bias towards Sakurais favorites all add up to one big sour taste.

He worked so hard though doing his job so I'm supposed to be overjoyed with it for some reason. Sure, it's my fault for expecting things I personally enjoy to be treated fairly, or for buying the game at all thinking they would be. That's on me. Fine. The lack of care for some franchises is just inexcusable to me. Like some of them are there because they feel they have to be, without knowledge of the franchises to make said obligation feel warranted.

I can't even get into other Smash games. It's just one big displeasing, continued, taste in my mouth. I'll play Samus once a week when I play with my friends. Who funnily enough they all think she's overpowered because I tend to win with her when I use her against them. So because of that I can't even use her much because that just puts them in a bad mood and I'd rather not do that. Hell listen to this rant I just typed. I'm in a bad enough mood over Smash for everybody. Would rather not spread it to my pals just because of who I play.

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
Samus will continue to be my main in doubles only from now on. I've played pretty much only her in every previous Smash title, but it's just not all that fun to play her in 1v1's for me anymore. I find myself complaining about what I want her to be whenever I play singles with her more than I focus on the match. My friends probably wanna kill me over how many times I've whined about her old Nair being gone, F-Smash being too small, sub-par jab and D-Smash, among other things, and then I pick her immediately when we switch to 2v2. But eh, at least I'm still playing her in some capacity, I suppose.

Last edited:
Top Bottom