• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So are meteors cancelable in this game? Are there true spikes?

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
Seems like most of the time i land a Fair as mario or Dair as Falcon my opponent loses a stock. Ive also never seen anyone cancel a meteor with a jump or an up-b in any replays.

are they cancelable? is every meteor an actual spike or whats the deal?

Raijinken

Smash Master
There is no known form of meteor canceling, and as such, all meteors are functionally equivalent to spikes.

Ohzma

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4983-5448-8974
I usually can spike people around 50% or so as falco using side b or dair but yeah, so far I don't recall anyone cancelling them.

Maybe Villager, DHD, and Rob can cancel with their recovery.

Last edited:

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
I usually can spike people around 50% or so as falco using side b or dair but yeah, so far I don't recall anyone cancelling them.

Yea they can get back to the stage at lower percents because their recovery is good, but they aren't "canceling" it.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
My assumption is it's the same as Brawl where there is no true spike and all can be canceled. I've seen some of the heaviest hitting meteor/spike type moves get canceled which is where I get this, but I'm curious to know myself so I'll check back.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I haven't ever seen someone survive getting meteor smashed at a higher percentage.

While you are able to act out of them fairly quickly, it's not like Melee where you can completely negate them with a well-timed jump or up B.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159

Wow, 50%? I expected it to have to be a higher percentage for this game, just because it seems harder to kill here at percentages like that.

I don't think there are any spikes here, just meteor smashes, so they're all escapable to some extent. Something like Ganon's d-air will just have a way higher chance of killing you than Mario's f-air will.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Wow, 50%? I expected it to have to be a higher percentage for this game, just because it seems harder to kill here at percentages like that.

I don't think there are any spikes here, just meteor smashes, so they're all escapable to some extent. Something like Ganon's d-air will just have a way higher chance of killing you than Mario's f-air will.
The blast zone size is actually one of the bigger contributors to the prevalence of offstage play and spiking/meteoring as a preferred means of killing. Plus, the improved recoveries for many characters make it safer to chase.

As for whether or not spikes exist here: If you define a spike as "sends the enemy at a downward but not straight down angle", then there are still some spikes, but not that many. If you define a spike as "a downward hit that can't be meteor canceled", then all meteors are spikes, and thus, spikes are everywhere.

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
While meteor cancelling is out, they did seem to take care in making all the downward launching attacks require specific timing and precision. They're likely called 'Meteors' because even since 64 they've been called Meteors.

There's also a special trait on equipment that increases the power of Meteor hits by 1.5x. So if you happen to have that trait on equipment anyone can use, you can see what counts as a meteor and what moves simply launch downward. But with no meteor cancelling anymore, it really doesn't make much difference except for that equipment buff.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
Yeah, I heard meteors can be cancelled but have seen no such thing. I can spike at about 35% if I get a really dim opponent using someone with a slightly less than average recovery with Falcon's Dair. Other than that, I've never seen anyone get out of a spike/meteor that I've thrown out. Its always been insta kill

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
My assumption is it's the same as Brawl where there is no true spike and all can be canceled. I've seen some of the heaviest hitting meteor/spike type moves get canceled which is where I get this, but I'm curious to know myself so I'll check back.
You have seen a cancelled meteor in smash 3ds?

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
The blast zone size is actually one of the bigger contributors to the prevalence of offstage play and spiking/meteoring as a preferred means of killing. Plus, the improved recoveries for many characters make it safer to chase.

As for whether or not spikes exist here: If you define a spike as "sends the enemy at a downward but not straight down angle", then there are still some spikes, but not that many. If you define a spike as "a downward hit that can't be meteor canceled", then all meteors are spikes, and thus, spikes are everywhere.
I define spikes as non cancelable

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I'm sure I have a replay of Zelda canceling my Dair playing as Ganon.

upon further inspection, I have a replay of one of the most insane wall techs I've ever seen... The meteor had just enough angle to clip the wall, and she was sent down absurdly fast... crazy o_o

Last edited:

yoyowoodchuckguy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0018-1538-9247
You can cancel them, but only at low percents. They act a lot more like smash attacks now; they launch with a lot of power, and there's a certain amount of hitstun until you can act. The higher the percent you're at, the more hitstun and knockback there will be. So think of them as powerful smash attacks that send you downwards.

Top Bottom