• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So anyone else notice the characters 3D Models seem to be improving?

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
Been off this site for awhile nothin really attention worthy goin on much now :/ But anyways I know my eyes can't be playing tricks on me but anyone else notice that there the character 3D models seem to be improving slightly? I see it I know it's happening for example like Zelda who was revealed today (finally) her 3D model looks freaking gorgeous so stunning so..........you get what I mean. I know my eyes ain't playin on me.

XTheElegantShadowX

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3625-7979-8675
It may actually be your eyes. You see, if you take a small look a Brawl and even Melee, it had always been apparent that LoZ characters look slightly more detailed/fleshed out than most other characters on the Roster. In this case, however, it might be due to TP already being a pretty good looking game, and furthering that look with a fresh coat of paint and arguably even more detail could also be why.

That being said, I do agree that Zelda looks absolutely stunning. :)

SmasherP82

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
It may actually be your eyes. You see, if you take a small look a Brawl and even Melee, it had always been apparent that LoZ characters look slightly more detailed/fleshed out than most other characters on the Roster. In this case, however, it might be due to TP already being a pretty good looking game, and furthering that look with a fresh coat of paint and arguably even more detail could also be why.

That being said, I do agree that Zelda looks absolutely stunning. :)
Oh so it is my eyes ): But they honestly do look a little bit better. Especially Zelda.....I can't get over hers.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah I do think they have been improving lately. Well at least I kinda noticed this with Donkey Kong.

He seems so much better looking compared to earlier screenshots.

At least to me they do.....

Saint Johns

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HyperSlash
Yes. The textures look more detailed and the models seem less blocky.

Super Fox

Smash Rookie
NNID
zeldafanboy8
Been off this site for awhile nothing really attention worthy goin on much now :/ But anyways I know my eyes can't be playing tricks on me but anyone else notice that there the character 3D models seem to be improving slightly? I see it I know it's happening for example like Zelda who was revealed today (finally) her 3D model looks freaking gorgeous so stunning so..........you get what I mean. I know my eyes ain't playin on me.
It's probably just the game being polished as it goes on with development. I don't see Sakurai deliberately making some models better than others.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
no its 100% fact they are improving.
the meshes themselves are getting better. (though i have issues with the zelda model but thats more or less on the rig/skin level instead of the mesh itself)

and i will explain why!

Okay so the Wii was not a particularly strong system in comparison to last gen. Not saying it's a bad thing, just makes it more difficult for developers to make hi fidelity models (more tris....ill explain that in a second)
now the wiiU has what...2GB RAM? thats pretty strong. heck, the internals are all stronger than last gen which = higher quality models around the board.

What that means is there is more space in the engine for models with higher tri counts and higher resolution textures/maps. Tris = Triangles. Models are made up of quads, which are standard 4 sided polys. those polys are then cut into tris, and that is what registers in engine. then, you can get higher resolution textures, which make up for some of the details it would be pointless to model out (you arent gonna model every hair or fur or detail completely....that would make the game chug)
So, they can have higher res diffuse maps (the colored texture you see), along with normal maps (they create the illusion of impressions, etc that are not actually there), specularity (shininess), etc
the higher quality diffuse maps also allow for better looking hair. the hair and fur looks like it might just be a bunch of planes with a hair texture on it. so it looks all soft and nice. square enix does this a lot...thats how they get their crazy hair a lot of the time in game (Cut scenes can have the hair as polys because it is all pre rendered...aka its just a video in the game)

-exhales-

and that kids is why the models look better. better meshes and textures.
and yes the in game lighting does help. better console = the engine can process more.

(if anything is confusing which it probably is lemme know because i can explain it in terms that are easier. trust me. 3d is tough =~=)

Last edited:

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
then there are the epic wii u hd models lol
which may never see actual in game stuff

the tech demo was just that: a demo that pushes the system to the edge.
most games wont achieve that...and thats okay. tech demos are meant to be short = you can put a bajillion things into the game

but yeah
if only
id love to see more models like that in game
(which means i wouldnt have to retopologize my higher resolution models into low res....)

thebaum64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebaum64
which may never see actual in game stuff

the tech demo was just that: a demo that pushes the system to the edge.
most games wont achieve that...and thats okay. tech demos are meant to be short = you can put a bajillion things into the game

but yeah
if only
id love to see more models like that in game
(which means i wouldnt have to retopologize my higher resolution models into low res....)
ya :/ hope they use all the high res ones though

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
ya :/ hope they use all the high res ones though
no you cant actually do that
that would never work o __ o

TRUST ME.

the 'lo res' stuff is actually okay because honestly thats what games are made up of...lo poly models.
and thats okay.

Prim3MavericK

Smash Cadet
I really like the cell-shaded approach for some reason but the closer it looks to a console game, the better.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I really like the cell-shaded approach for some reason but the closer it looks to a console game, the better.
Pretty much this; I mean, they won't emulate it perfectly, and the Wii U and 3DS have quite a gap, but as long as they can get it going pretty good.

I really still like the choice of outlines since Smash is such a hectic game.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
But look at skyrim for example.. it can run hi poly models.
No it cannot.
it would make the engine chug.
the models you see in game are lo poly. they look nice, they have gorgeous textures, and they do have a chunk of model detail

but they are NOT hi poly

Morbi

Scavenger
I honestly find the models to be improving, every reveal the newcomers seem to look better than the last and all of the 3D models on the character page are slightly less aesthetically appealing compared to photographs from months later. For instance, in the next 3DS picture, we should compare the model of the character to their official 3DS model on the character reveal page. I am sure there will be overt differences.

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
I think it's just the lighting, I do think they might improve a little bit though.

thebaum64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebaum64
I think it's just the lighting, I do think they might improve a little bit though.
ya that could be, the lighting is very nice and could make the models look better... but i am sure they are improving.

Top Bottom