• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So... any new information regarding ground-breaks for Yoshi's grab?

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I remember a few months ago there was some discussion regarding being able to ground break Yoshi's grabs (thus hurting his CG potential), but the details were kept to a minimum. Is there any new information on how this is done?

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Ground breaking Yoshi's grab is simple.

There are two ways to do this. The first way, the basic way most characters can ground break most other characters' grabs, can be used sometimes, but I find that it's a little inconsistent with plenty of other characters and even moreso with Yoshi, mostly because of how he holds them in his mouth. Apparently there are multiple factors for determining ground breaks with most characters, but I have found those factors to be ill-founded and inconsistent across the board, so I don't consider this method when ground breaking Yoshi's grab.

The other method is dependent on how the Yoshi player grabs. The premise is that since you can provide inputs to break out of a grab while the character is actually grabbing you and pulling you to itself (for most characters, this is more or less instant since their arms aren't more than a few feet long; Samus and Link, however, have grabs such that you can actually see the opponent being pulled to them), when Yoshi grabs an opposing player, all that player has to do is button mash enough to get out before the first chew. This is best used with the standing grab because of all the standby frames until the opponent is actually able to be chewed (I believe it's close to a full second). The dash grab is probably the hardest to get out of, and the pivot grab is generally considered (by me) the happy middle between the two.

So, in fewer words, Yoshi attempts to grab an opponent, latches on with his tongue and begins to pull them in. The opponent button mashes as soon as the tongue latches on (the character is considered grabbed at this point) and if enough inputs are provided (while they are being drawn in) by time the character arrives in Yoshi's mouth, they will ground break automagically before Yoshi can get the first chew.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Interesting. The reason I brought this up is because there was some discussion at the PT boards regarding Marth's new chain grab on Squirtle, and I seemed to recall some information regarding this for Yoshi. Because Squirtle breaks from Marth's grab in much the same way Yoshi's CGable opponents escape from his grab, I was considering the applications for ground-breaking this chain grab. I can see how this could be difficult (maybe impossible) to manage with Squirtle against Marth, however.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Unless they shield it... lol.

Ground releasing as Wario is fun, I love doing it. :)

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
That reminds me. DMG, since ground releasing depends on percentage, up to about what percent would you say you can consistently ground release?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
That reminds me. DMG, since ground releasing depends on percentage, up to about what percent would you say you can consistently ground release?
If I absolutely know I am gonna get grabbed, I think my best personal record vs Bwett or Furbs was like, 50% exactly or just shy of 50%. This is me at my absolute best though, something a bit more consistent would be like 35% or even 30%.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Hm, I thought that it Yoshi's grab would always air-release as long as you don't pummel? Is that true?

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I know the method I posted earlier ground breaks with 100% consistency.

There may be other ways to ground break that I am not aware of for Yoshi's grab (since he breaks grab convention to defy the usual ground break tactics that most characters use).

Top Bottom