• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So A Weird Thing Happened To Me (And Maybe Someone Can Help Me Figure Out Why)

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
So I was playing a set against my friend the other day for a spot on my college's Power Rankings. It was game 5, I had two stocks and he had one. He is a Jigglypuff main, and I am a Sheik main, but because I despise that matchup, I was playing Marth.

We ended up in a situation where we were basically having a mexican stand-off in our shields. He had been dropping shield the whole set and going for shield grabs, so I tried to go for a read and punish that with a reverse up-b out-of-shield, but he stayed in shield and then punished me by resting me.

But instead of the rest killing me, it basically sent me in an upside-down v trajectory. This trajectory let me tech the stage, get a punish on his rest, and won me the set.

But what happened?

What I think happened is that up-b OOS on his shield activated invisible ceiling glitch for me and let me get the tech, but I don't know enough about what activates ICG for Marth or ICG itself to make a concrete claim.

So, tl;dr:

-Can Marth's up-b OOS activate ICG?
-Me and my friend are not sure if I touched the ground after the rest punish. Would it have mattered if I was airborn or not?

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
Yeah invisible ceiling

Anything can theoretically activate the invisible ceiling glitch

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
If you landed, then the rest would have killed you. As long as you are in the air you will have the potential to use the invisible ceiling glitch (as long as you don't move right).

justanull

Smash Cadet
If I'm reading you correctly what happened was

1. You and the Puff are next to each other in shield. You are close to the edge of a platform.
2. You up-b out of shield, hitting Puff and receiving shield pushback, which pushes you over the edge of the platform. At this time, you were pushed off the edge of a platform while in shield pushback, so you have entered ICG.
3. Puff rests you before you land. Invisible ceiling glitch lets you tech.

If you weren't close to the edge of a platform, maybe just Marth's up-b onto a shield from the ground self-activates invisible ceiling glitch? I'd doubt that, it feels like somebody would have discovered that before. If that's the case, there's some additional mechanism at work that we aren't aware of surrounding ICG activation.

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
If I'm reading you correctly what happened was

1. You and the Puff are next to each other in shield. You are close to the edge of a platform.
2. You up-b out of shield, hitting Puff and receiving shield pushback, which pushes you over the edge of the platform. At this time, you were pushed off the edge of a platform while in shield pushback, so you have entered ICG.
3. Puff rests you before you land. Invisible ceiling glitch lets you tech.

If you weren't close to the edge of a platform, maybe just Marth's up-b onto a shield from the ground self-activates invisible ceiling glitch? I'd doubt that, it feels like somebody would have discovered that before. If that's the case, there's some additional mechanism at work that we aren't aware of surrounding ICG activation.
Not quite. I wasn't on a platform when I did it; I was on the ground. But if what I was thinking is correct, then ICG activated because Puff rested me before I hit the ground (I mentioned that my friend and I weren't sure if I touched the ground or not; I thought I didn't, whereas he thought I did), in which case yeah, we either have a misconception about ICG or this is something a little new.
Yeah invisible ceiling

Anything can theoretically activate the invisible ceiling glitch
Huh. How about that lol.
If you landed, then the rest would have killed you. As long as you are in the air you will have the potential to use the invisible ceiling glitch (as long as you don't move right).
That's what I thought.

Top Bottom