• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So...a goddess, eh?

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
If you couldn't tell by my screen name, I'm kinda religious. Specifically I am a Christian, which means I have certain views about what God is and is not. That being said, does anybody else find the concept of a deity fighting alongside humans in smash bros. kinda awkward? And that that same "goddess" can get pwned by the Animal Crossing Villager and the Wii Fit Trainer???

I guess I'm used to God being omnipotent. I did read the Iliad and those gods fought alongside humans so in the Kid Icarus/Greek Mythology sense it's not too troubling.

And no, I'm not gonna boycott the game because it somehow "promotes idolatry" ;)

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, it's just a reunion of Nintendo characters. She is a Nintendo character, she is in, that's all! I don't think the character status should mean something.

Oh, we also have Zelda who is a reincarnation of a goddess, a the hyrulean all possess the powers of their creators Din, Nayru and Farore!

EchoesOfRain

Smash Apprentice
Ever heard of Playstation All Stars Battle Royal? A man that has killed even Zeus himself can get destroyed by a sack of stuffing, or a cute little japanese cat. I'm not complaining much about Palutena...

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Palutena has been defeated by an angel. Three separate times. Also, look at Mewtwo! He was a Pokemon God, being the most powerful of his time, and he gets beaten by a puffball. Ganondorf is immune to all but the Master Sword, so there's that too.
Palutena is one of the least of worries. A worry is Jigglypuff killing Ganondorf at his strongest (Ocarina of Time, right?) by sleeping.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
You have to remember, Palutena is based off the Greek deities, which is a lot different than God who is omnipotent. Plus, Super Smash Bros isn't supposed to be canon... I mean, you have quarter sized fighters going against gargantuan monsters; don't think it's made for accuracy.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
In the world of Smash, inch-high spacemen, ****** twins and chimps in baseball caps dominate in combat, while the King of Evil is a laughing stock that, despite being a reincarnation of the god of destruction himself, gets decimated by everything else in the game and fights like a space-racing bounty hunter with arthritis.

In the world of Smash, the king of the koopas gets trashed in solo combat by the princess he kidnaps dozens of times.

In the world of Smash, fighters among the most acrobatic and experienced in the universe fall flat on their face if they run too hastily.

You get the idea. Realism does not apply.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Just think of Smash as some sort of party brawler where characters just fight against each other for fun and try to knock each other off the stage, which is what it more or less is. Even in the victory screen you see them applauding the winner and that it was more or less just for fun.

So in that context, I think having a Deity in the battle isn't really that weird or awkward. At least to me it isn't. But as Starphoenix said, she is also based off the deities of Greek Mythologies.

Morbi

Scavenger
It does not seem that outlandish as this is what I have come to expect of a cross-over fighting game. If it makes you feel any better the characters are technically effigies of themselves if the opening sequences to Smash 64 and Melee mean anything to the series. They are literally trophies brought to life; which again, explains the unfathomable.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
It's a crossover. Other crossover fighting games are faced with similar issues. Yeah, Palutena would obliterate the fighters canonically just as Kirby can pretty much "kill" anything he is able to eat...

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I can't relate to your issue, because I am not religious (in fact, I don't like religions at all), but have in mind that this is just a video game. Palutena is simply a character based on the Goddess Athena of the Greek mythology, nothing else. Key word: Based on, she still is extremely different from the "actual" Goddess Athena. As far as we know, there is nothing in the game related to the Christian mythology. As mentioned by other user above, it is no different than battling against Zeus in Sony's PlayStation All-Star Battle Royale. If anyone should be "offended" by this, it is the Greek people. Not you, a believer of the Christian mythology.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I love greek myths and I am *surprise* a muslim. I tend to treat the world of KI + more with their own deities as myths of their own too, so there's no reason for me to get offended as these only serve as fictional characters with stories of their own. Banjodorf elaborated more on that along with why I find the greek deities fascinating. They're basically super heroes or super villains who you can relate to and learn things about through fiction and myths.
I think I dig Palutena just for the reason that she's based on Athena anyway, and how that reminds me of those greek myths I so like.

Not to mention, this is ****ing Smash Bros we're talking about . About anything, and everything is possible in this wacky game. But at the end, it's just, frankly, a fighting-styled party game.

Last edited:

stan423321

Smash Journeyman
If I get your idea of the "problem" right, it's pretty obvious that a) she's constraining herself to some level, b) KI definition of deity is something completely different than religious one. I mean, Uprising features a "self-proclaimed god" of sorts.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
The Greek origin that Kid Icarus is based on were generally not omnipotent and were generally just as flawed as the mortals they suppose watched over. In Greek mythology compared to the Abrahamic religions like Judaism, Christianity, and Islam the gods were more or a representation of a concept or a natural force then a supreme all-knowing being. The stories were often more about trying to teach a lesson or explain things they couldn't entirely understand.

Honestly I think that's what makes the Greek detites more interesting outside of a religious context because they aren't restricted to simply being flawless or pure good or pure evil. Rather just being fairly powerful forces capable of doing great or horrible things but are still subjected to what power does to a human when they have too much of it.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I don't want to be "that guy", and don't really want to offend, but there are several religions who believe certain things about their gods. Whether they be one god, or multiple gods, and one group will always believe theirs is the one true way because that's what they do.

However, there is also a general concept of basing deities in actual fiction on existing popular faith ideas. For example, Palutena is based on Greek mythology, and more specifically Palus Athena, who coincidentally was a warrior. In Greek mythos, the gods share a ton of human characteristics and are often basically humans full of jealousy and super powers.

Palutena does have seemingly unlimited power (she summoned a black hole, I mean hello?) and according to her at least is "all-seeing", but really, she's not invincible, and can definitely be matched by some of the powers that be in Smash. I mean, Pit defeated her in Uprising at one point.

...As an aside, the concept of blasting someone for "blaspheming" and "idolatry" surrounding a wonderfully crafted, obviously-fictional character like Palutena just irks me, despite that obviously not being the intent. The very concept makes me incredibly angry to think about. Ugh.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I hope people don't think i'm actually offended lol. I just thought it was a little wierd das all.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Mostly just because Sakurai in my opinion. In Sakurai's world, Meta-Knight was a god, therefore, he ruled Brawl. Now though, Sakurai has a boner for the KI series, so Palutena will take over, while Meta-Knight enjoys multiple nerfs and becomes a serf to Dream Land.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
To paraphrase Captain America: "There's only one God, and I'm pretty sure He doesn't dress like that."

Ryan.

Smash Lord
It doesn't bother me, she's a fictional character based on Greek Mythology. I can see where you are coming from, though.

shackamaxon

Smash Rookie
So here's my raised-Catholic-but-now-agnostic two cents... I'm not sure which variant of Christianity you believe. Judging my your username, you appear to be a Baptist, but even then I must profess I have no idea what the specific beliefs of Baptists are (despite going to a Baptist preschool, heh). I went to Catholic schools for twelve years, however, and I know that Catholics believe in the Trinity. They believe that Jesus is an incarnation of the Christian God - "God the Son". They believe Jesus is both a deity and a mortal at the same time. And what happened to Jesus? He was killed by mortals.

Supposing Palutena was in fact an omnipotent deity, why couldn't she fight with mortals? In the interest of fairness, she could use her powers as a Goddess to create a mortal version of herself with limited power that can be KO'd. Upon being KO'd, she wouldn't actually die - She'd just go back to her realm and continue being a Goddess. Besides, none of the fighters in Smash ever actually die - They fall off the stage or get blasted into oblivion, but they come back after the battle to clap or cry in the background of the victor.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Its a game bro

Besides, she's not a real diety. Even then, take fun in smashing fake dieties if it bothers you so since no one worships her in the real world.

Just for clarity, i like to think of myself as religious as well. If you feel awkward, you gotta strengthen your beliefs, man.

Last edited:

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
She said "I won't hold back."

I think despite Palutena being a goddess, her strengths lie in knowledge and creating things. Maybe she's just not that strong compared to other gods and goddesses? Yet strong enough to stand her ground.

she's incredibly cocky at times : P

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
If you couldn't tell by my screen name, I'm kinda religious. Specifically I am a Christian, which means I have certain views about what God is and is not. That being said, does anybody else find the concept of a deity fighting alongside humans in smash bros. kinda awkward? And that that same "goddess" can get pwned by the Animal Crossing Villager and the Wii Fit Trainer???

I guess I'm used to God being omnipotent. I did read the Iliad and those gods fought alongside humans so in the Kid Icarus/Greek Mythology sense it's not too troubling.

And no, I'm not gonna boycott the game because it somehow "promotes idolatry" ;)
Good call on your part.

These are nothing but Video Game characters.

Last edited:

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
Though I am also Christian I don't see any problem. Aside from being fictional, and Smash being non-canon, I suppose Palutena might simply be limiting herself for the sake of fun competition.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I'm so glad to see other Christians on the boards, especially ones that think about this kind of thing. I'm a Bible-thumpin', Jesus-lovin' kinda guy, but I have an abiding love for Greek mythology and fantasy of all sorts. To me, it says it all that Palutena is a "goddess" with a little "g". If you've read the Narnia series, there's reference made to "gods" created by Aslan, which are basically just powerful beings charged with a specific duty in nature. Palutena is similarly a powerful being whose job is to guide and protect humans, as I see it. She's not omnipotent, nor infallible. Thus, with these "flaws" in mind, I'm not really made uncomfortable by her title.

See, what some people don't get is that when you are truly devoted to your beliefs, you can't just leave them at the door in any given situation. Even if it is "just a video game," my beliefs are so strong that they influence everything I'm involved with on some level. Games like the Xeno series, though I do enjoy them, give me pause because of some of the "anti-God" themes. It's a personal judgment call, I think. I know the distinction between fiction and what I believe is fact, so I don't have a big problem playing games like these.

Aaaand, end diatribe.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Here we go, video game logic time!
Darkwing Duck levitates.
A cane is not damaged after being slammed into by spikes.
Lava does not engulf you.
Eating already dead things.
Get shot in the head 15 times and remain calm.
WATER killing a plant, which needs water to survive.
Speed boost from drifting.
SUPER SAIYAN.
Pokemon as a whole.
10,000 more.
Palutena not being an omnipotent being.

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger

She's a Greek god, nothing like Jesus or God the Father. The Greek gods are more like the Asgardians are in Avengers.

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
Though I am also Christian I don't see any problem. Aside from being fictional, and Smash being non-canon, I suppose Palutena might simply be limiting herself for the sake of fun competition.
She is not God though, she's a goddess like the Greek gods which are basically like Superheroes and not Omnitient, Omnipotent, and Omnipresent.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
That title doesn't mean too much. The gods in Kid Icarus aren't really all powerful. At all. Pit defeats most of them easily (including Palutena). They really just seem to not die; that's about it.

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
She is not God though, she's a goddess like the Greek gods which are basically like Superheroes and not Omnitient, Omnipotent, and Omnipresent.
Did I make it seem like I wasn't aware of that? I am, actually.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Smash Brothers runs on Willing Suspension of Disbelief to clarify the plausibility of all possible character matchups. Palutena being ROFLstomped by the likes of mere mortal Villager and Wii Fit Trainer are plausible.

Other than that, the Abrahamic monotheistic model for God is not the only religious interpretation of a deity. Kid Icarus takes it's setting loosely off of Greek mythology, where you have seemingly human heroes accomplishing feats to envy the gods of Olympus, let alone kill them. I would argue that Kid Icarus also borrows heavily from Biblical mythology, but I digress.

Top Bottom