• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

snakes strengths and weaknesses

jalued

Smash Lord
this is not a complaint, i am in the process of trying to find and exploit snakes few weaknesses for myself, so this is just part of that process that i take. i have written down all that i think is relevant towards snakes gameplay in terms of strengths and weakness, being as generous as i could to weaknesses

if anyone can think of anything else, i'd gladly appreciate any input. this is meant to be a constructive post, to help improve snake players, and aid anyone who wants to defeat snakes...

strengths

1)heavy
2)gd recovery- lots of vertical recovery
3)very strong tilts-up tilt can generally kill at 100%, the rest follow at about 130%
4)fsmash kills at 40%-is slow, but if timed correctly that shouldn't matter
5)up air kills at low %
6)nair,bair both last an age, and have decent knockback
7)fair is a slow but very powerful meteor
8)c4 can be used very strategically and has a large hitbox
9)morter slide is hard to counter
10)grenades if held stop anyone from comboing you, if thrown they can pressure the opponent to exactly where you want them to be
11)mines also pressure the opponents positioning
12)down throw is very gd for techchasing
13)forward and back throws can force enemies onto mines and grenades, and setups for spikes
14)neutral aaa can't be sidestepped, and has very nice knockback
15) all air attacks seem to have alot of priority
16) all tilts come out reasonable quickly
17) has around 13 moves which will kill before 150%- thanks to djbrowny (possibbly 130%)
18) can camp very successfully
19) invisible hitboxes for snakes uptilt

weaknesses

1) slow movement (except when morter sliding...but meh)
2) significant lag on all air attacks
3)recovery can be easily spiked- only if opponent does have a spike though (obviously lol)
4)if the recovery is grabbed, then snake cannot recover again- hard to pull off vs a snake who expects that though
5) can be killed by own mines, grenades and c4
6) if 3rd kick of aaa doesn't connect it leaves snake open
7) recovery has a very predictive route, and doesn't automatically sweetspot

indianunit

Smash Journeyman
snakes recovery is anything but good. ya it has very high vertical recovery but thats it. it's slow 1 and 2 it only goes vertical no other direction except maybe slightly in another direction.

But ya other than that most of it seems to be right.

Browny

Smash Hater
17) has around 9 moves which will kill before 150% (give or take, i think that's right though)
a-a-a
d/f/utilt
d/f/usmash
f/n/s/u/dair
c4

provided they arent weakned by SNG (eg, upsmash) i think snake has 13 moves which KO middleweights < 150. id go so far as to say all those moves KO < 130 too.

jalued

Smash Lord
a-a-a
d/f/utilt
d/f/usmash
f/n/s/u/dair
c4

provided they arent weakned by SNG (eg, upsmash) i think snake has 13 moves which KO middleweights < 150. id go so far as to say all those moves KO < 130 too.

hehe, snakes just keeps getting better. he should have left some kill moves for other characters lol
thanks, i'll change it

Roager

Smash Ace
Snake weaknesses are, for a lot of Snake mainers, easy to cover. Like the F-smash speed. Most Snakes just kinda avoid it. Except for edgeguarding, sometimes. Just remember that his attacks are fast at the start, but if they miss, it's fairly easy for a fast character like Zamus, Shiek, or MK to take advantage. Especially the f-tilt and his airs.

superman969

Smash Journeyman
snakes recovery is anything but good. ya it has very high vertical recovery but thats it. it's slow 1 and 2 it only goes vertical no other direction except maybe slightly in another direction.

But ya other than that most of it seems to be right.
no, Snake's recovery is the s***. It goes super high, and if you barely miss the edge (unusual), you can just C4 recover. And, um, if you DI correctly, the cypher moves significantly left or right.

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
Snake can be chaingrabbed by Lucario up to 90%.

Snake is also very easy to combo in the air. Add in his piss poor aerial game and you got yourself a character who hates being in the air.

jalued

Smash Lord
Snake can be chaingrabbed by Lucario up to 90%.

Snake is also very easy to combo in the air. Add in his piss poor aerial game and you got yourself a character who hates being in the air.

i wouldn't say at all that snake areil game is poor. all of his areils last for a considerable amount of time, and each one has very decent priority and knockback. the only problem i see with it though is that snake can only do one aerial befre he hits the ground...but his air game is by no means weak.

thwe chaingrab by lucario is interresting though, but i still think snake may have the upper hand...lucario depends on having a high % damage to kill, but snake has 13 different ways to finsih lucario before lucario reaches his full potential (inclluding many quick tilts), and as soon as lucario dies, he doesn't have that great a chance to KO snkae anymore

jalued

Smash Lord
no, Snake's recovery is the s***. It goes super high, and if you barely miss the edge (unusual), you can just C4 recover. And, um, if you DI correctly, the cypher moves significantly left or right.
maybe... but if your opponenet hits snkae at a low angle, then its very easy to edge guard him -such as with sheiks fair. the non sweetspotting also makes snake vulnerable to charged fsmashes at the egde (marth and ike are the best i can think of for that atm though)

StoleUrCar

Smash Journeyman
Snake's recovery is good for what it does, makes sure he gets on stage. However, it is predictable and easily gimped if done incorrectly. Not to mention the fact that while it is advised to recover from way up high, Snake is not in a favorable position once in the air.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
ISJR lets you do as many as you want. :"}

Plus, full hop Nair has no landing lag and you can ftilt or whatever right out of it.

Top Bottom