• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake's grab?

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone else think he has the best grabs in the game? With that chain grab and the huge grab range? He already had the up-b attack to escape pressure, and with both of these he is literally annoying to fight at close (not to mention ducking grabs). The grab works on the majority of the characters in the game and leads directly into a stick, which is inescapable once it latches.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
That Chain Grab = D-Throw I assume?
I don't know why you would bother with that, really. Maybe when you can't combo with Up-Throw and you're in the dead-center of the Stage so can't get much advantage of Side-Throws, but really...

Grab = BnB core Snake.
Very good, yes.

Don't forget that set-KB Side-Throw combo...
mmmm

Sartron

Smash Journeyman
That Chain Grab = D-Throw I assume?
I don't know why you would bother with that, really. Maybe when you can't combo with Up-Throw and you're in the dead-center of the Stage so can't get much advantage of Side-Throws, but really...

Grab = BnB core Snake.
Very good, yes.

Don't forget that set-KB Side-Throw combo...
mmmm
Snake's chain grab is up throw, not down throw. You might be mistaking down throw for a chain grab because it is a great tech chasing throw. Up throw can usually get any character up to ~30% I believe and can always end with a guaranteed C4. It's really good.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I never bother chain-grabbing with it, seems there's so many better things to do out of it/funner things.
Cool though.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
It's a good bet. However, he does have a poor grab game at high % if he hasn't somehow stuck you yet somehow
I can see what you mean, but he has many other tools to help him finish at higher percentages. And since escaping the c4 is impossible in pm once stuck, the option of sticking someone is more of a priority to snake players, and ha a HUGE reward on it. And once the chain grab stop working, it can lead into an upair. I just think that if this grab was changed a little, or his grab range smaller, snake would be less camp happy.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
I don't mean to nitpick, but it can actually be escaped by Zelda. Her transformation special removes her from the game temporarily, making the C4 just drop to the floor.
You're not being a nitpick Im a sheik and zelda player and actually didnt know that so thanks.
But anyway, back to the grab, I was experimenting with it a little more with it and it seems it works to around 60 to 70 on some of the heavier weights. And past 120 it kills occasionally. He already has an easy time racking up damage with the up b combos, and has a really easy time against pressure because of it. It just seems to me that he has one of the best camp games and then is hard to challenge up close because of his spam options.

SAX

Smash Ace
Snake is not as good as you're making him up to be. He sounds good on paper, but he has extremely shining flaws that keep him from the top, which I think is a pretty good balance for the character. He gets at least 50% off on being thrown offstage, has one of the easiest and read-able recoveries in the game, is combo weight, gets juggled to high heavens and has no priority on any of his aerials for trying to land on the ground, and if he loses momentum that's basically the stock. I view him as the captain falcon of PM. He can **** every character in the game if he gets a grab, but he just gets bodied by the "better" characters in the game, i.e. meta knight and fox.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
Snake is not as good as you're making him up to be. He sounds good on paper, but he has extremely shining flaws that keep him from the top, which I think is a pretty good balance for the character. He gets at least 50% off on being thrown offstage, has one of the easiest and read-able recoveries in the game, is combo weight, gets juggled to high heavens and has no priority on any of his aerials for trying to land on the ground, and if he loses momentum that's basically the stock. I view him as the captain falcon of PM. He can **** every character in the game if he gets a grab, but he just gets bodied by the "better" characters in the game, i.e. meta knight and fox.
I can kinda see what you mean, but I dont think his recovery is as easy to challenge as you're making it out to be. Also, his fair leads to easy offstage gimps and he can easily buffer his recovery using his bombs. Maybe, snake should have less powerful grabs and it should be compensated for in other ways, like maybe making his combos better. I'm not saying he's the best character in the game, I'm saying that it's far to easy to spam grabs and up b, making him slightly less technical than the gameplay of this game is aimed for.

Ariyo

Smash Apprentice
I can kinda see what you mean, but I dont think his recovery is as easy to challenge as you're making it out to be. Also, his fair leads to easy offstage gimps and he can easily buffer his recovery using his bombs. Maybe, snake should have less powerful grabs and it should be compensated for in other ways, like maybe making his combos better. I'm not saying he's the best character in the game, I'm saying that it's far to easy to spam grabs and up b, making him slightly less technical than the gameplay of this game is aimed for.
Even though Snake has a really good grab, up b, and decent keep away tools, I find him really fun to fight against. More so than other similar characters like.....Ivy....
I would love if he isn't changed anymore. The c4 adds a bit of fun to the game in that sense that you want to kill him before he kills you.

SAX

Smash Ace
The most common complaint I hear is Uthrow to sticky... but if snake's upb needs a nerf then so does fox and falco's shine. It's basically the same thing except fox and falco's are much better. I could see his grab range being reduced, however, his large grab range compensates for his ATROCIOUS approach game. I think he is balanced. If you think about snake, he has GREAT tools, and ****TY tools. SO either you do great with him, or you get wrecked... momentum.......

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
You're not being a nitpick Im a sheik and zelda player and actually didnt know that so thanks.
But anyway, back to the grab, I was experimenting with it a little more with it and it seems it works to around 60 to 70 on some of the heavier weights. And past 120 it kills occasionally. He already has an easy time racking up damage with the up b combos, and has a really easy time against pressure because of it. It just seems to me that he has one of the best camp games and then is hard to challenge up close because of his spam options.
I think falling speed plays a bigger part into whether or not you can CG someone rather than weight (though I could be wrong)
So some of the faster falling characters you can stick at 60, 70 like CF, Fox, Wolf, Falco
30-40% is a more accurate figure for the characters with falling speed like Sheik's.

And Snake does not have one of the best camp games, what projectile can he effectively (Keyword: effectively) camp with?
Snake's effective at putting his opponent's in temporary defensive positions, but he doesn't reap nearly any rewards in percentage by actually camping which is the most important part of having a good camp game.

N00B64

Smash Cadet
Instead of making a new thread, I will ask this here.

on the P:M page for snake it does not address that he can move while grabbing someone, or HOW. does anybody know how to do this?
I've seen it used by Professor Pro multiple times in his friendlys against The Lust, and while I do not have any plans to learn snake in a competitive fashion It would be a fun thing to do every once in awhile.

thank you for your time

bombrider

Smash Rookie
Instead of making a new thread, I will ask this here.

on the P:M page for snake it does not address that he can move while grabbing someone, or HOW. does anybody know how to do this?
I've seen it used by Professor Pro multiple times in his friendlys against The Lust, and while I do not have any plans to learn snake in a competitive fashion It would be a fun thing to do every once in awhile.

thank you for your time
While you have someone grabbed, you can move Snake using the control pad by pressing left or right (the same control pad that allows you to taunt). It's a bit awkward at first but you get used to it...

N00B64

Smash Cadet
While you have someone grabbed, you can move Snake using the control pad by pressing left or right (the same control pad that allows you to taunt). It's a bit awkward at first but you get used to it...
OHHHH, I was assuming you had to hold down the grab button or B and move with the stick or something similar. so just use the Dpad... that makes sense.
thank you so much bombrider!

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
Snakes grab has range yes but are you guys forgetting who he is? What does snake do in almost all of his games? He grabs the .... out of people. Thats like saying, if king from tekken was in the game, that his grab should be less op. He is a grapple expert. He is excellent at hand to hand combat.. If anything his grab should be increased!!! Lol nahh that would be cray but he is fine to me. All of my friends complain and i tell them his weaknesses but they still hate me :(

Top Bottom