• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake movies banned

Vividice

Smash Cadet
Hello everybody.
With the Snake update on tuesday something is really strange...

I live in germany and I always watch the new dojo update about AM 9:30 from the university.
The internet there is a lot faster than 1mb/s and movies usually are loaded within seconds...

I read the dojo updates mostly in english to avoid bad translations.

The first Snake movie loaded as usual but i even wasnt able to start loading the other 3 movies.
I was happy about the update so i wasnt botherd because of the 3 other movies and planned to watch it at home on the evening.

At home i couldnt start loading too(us version).
Tried it on the german site and: no movies there?
Japanese:? Was there, couldnt load.
All other lanuages? No movies...

So tell my what the heck was that?

I want to see those movies! :mad:

And what is going on with Nintendo?
IP prohibited movies for no one from outside of us/japan?
My girfriend couldnt watch the movies as well....

Anyone having the same problems?
Is it an IP bann?
If it is: Why those innocent Snake movies?

Edit: Wasnt able to post in dojo update. Why?

pwnzorz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ABlackMage
3DS FC
0103-9129-9741
wow that is interesting, and it kinda sucks, those snake movies were the best ones i have seen as far as gameplay, in my opinion.

And if they dont work...YOUTUBE!!!! there are several video hackers that post youtube and thats where i hack my videos for my Zen Vision:M. XD

Al Calnos

Smash Journeyman
I had this problem the day of the update, but they eventually worked. Try going to just Snake's character page and watch that trailer. Other than that just wait it out.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Like I said, the newest movies are stored on a remote server. This remote server, data.nintendo.co.jp, often has loads of internal server errors. That's why I don't love the Japanese Nintendo sites.

Kaburii

Smash Apprentice
I noted this a long time ago. I believe it has to do with censorship.
There are differences between US and European updates, one of these being the Devil assist trophy being renamed Demon.

This time they ban videos dealing with nudity, "cannibalism", and passing gas. Too obscene for some?

Chris of STARS

Smash Journeyman
Wow...banning movies because they talk about farting and taking off clothes in a joking context? Germany must be a **** hole. To be fair, not that America is much better.

shipoffools

Smash Journeyman
Snake: Octacon! What's this lizard thing?
Octacon: Thats a Yoshi. It's a diosaur from Yoshi's Island. Watch out for its long, chameleon-like tongue.
If it gets you, you'll be swallowed whole.
Snake: It lays eggs and throws them, right?...Then it must be female.
octacon: ...Actually, it's a "he." At least, that's what it says.
Snake: It talks!?
Octacon: Yes it talks!Well, kind of...
Snake: Now you got me curious. ...How about I capture one so we can see what they taste like?
Octacon: Uhh, Snake...
End of Movie 1

Snake: Mei Ling, Samus took her clothes off!
Mei Ling: Thats just her in the Zero Suit, Snake.
Snake: Whithout that bulky Power Suit, she's gotten a lot more agile... You know, I bet if I took off all this heavy gear, I could catch her...
Mei Ling: Um, yeah, you wish.Even without the Power Suit, all that training she did with the Chozo has made her a super athlete.I don't think a normal human could ever keep up. Just look at her.
Snake: ...Her loss.
End of Movie 2

Snake: This guy kind of gives me the creeps.
Clonel: That's Wario, Snake. Wario first appeard as Mario's rival, but he really made his name in the WarioWare games. Watch out for Wario's bite. It's not just damage you take from it.
Snake: What do you mean, Colonel?
Colonel:Wario loves garlic. He eats whole cloves of it day and night. So try not to get caught in his mouth. Once that smell gets on you, it'll stick to you for quite a while.
Snake: ...That's a scary thought.
Colonel: He also attacks by farting. He can fart to fly around, too.
Snake: By farting?! Are you kiddig me?!
Colonel: Sadly, noI am not kidding. IF his belly starts to bulge, watch out.
End of Movie3

Kaburii

Smash Apprentice
^Pictures aren't translated or edited in other languages. If a screenshot has text, it only comes in two languages - English and Japanese. All other language sites provide captions underneath the screenshots.

Ie, check the Mr. Resett update in different languages.

Xanderous

Smash Lord
Nah, it's not banned. You're just getting unlucky. I couldn't get the video to load for like two days, but then it suddenly did. Also it's not on the German site because it hasn't been translated.

Karleko

Smash Cadet
Holland is where I am, I've been able to look at them, it really might be a Germany thing. Es gibt etwas loos.

mike_mr25

Smash Cadet
Same thing happened to me but only with the yoshi one, but the next day I tried again and it loaded with no problem at all, wonder why is that, but I did notice that the movies are missing from every site except the japanesse and american site that's strange.

btw I live in latin america

dooky

Smash Cadet
It isn't censorship. There's nothing in those videos to censor - and besides, Europe is traditionally a lot less likely to censor stuff than America is. We got Devil World when North America didn't. The fact that d*mn and h*ll are probably considered actual swear words on this forum is testament to how much more sensitive Americans are over language. I'll grant you that it's a little more complex than I'm suggesting: in the UK, for example, we're more tolerant of swearing/blasphemy than the US, but a little less tolerant of violence. But seriously, this crazy notion that the Snake videos were cut from the European sites because they were deemed 'offensive' needs to be put to rest. There's nothing on them that can't be found elsewhere on the site. I'd think the fact that the videos consist of nothing but dialogue would be the main factor in Nintendo Europe's decision not to put them on the European sites. And, due to ineptitude or laziness, nobody thought to put them on the UK/Ireland site where they could still be appreciated. And the access problems have been explained already: the videos are hosted in Japan for whatever strange reason, and plenty of people all over Europe have been able to view them despite the shoddiness of the hosting.

susu_atari

Smash Ace
It's not on the UK site, either, which is odd, because in ENGland, we speak ENGlish... speaking English in England... who'd have thought it?

vesperview

Smash Hero
Hello everybody.
With the Snake update on tuesday something is really strange...

I live in germany and I always watch the new dojo update about AM 9:30 from the university.
The internet there is a lot faster than 1mb/s and movies usually are loaded within seconds...

I read the dojo updates mostly in english to avoid bad translations.

The first Snake movie loaded as usual but i even wasnt able to start loading the other 3 movies.
I was happy about the update so i wasnt botherd because of the 3 other movies and planned to watch it at home on the evening.

At home i couldnt start loading too(us version).
Tried it on the german site and: no movies there?
Japanese:? Was there, couldnt load.
All other lanuages? No movies...

So tell my what the heck was that?

I want to see those movies! :mad:

And what is going on with Nintendo?
IP prohibited movies for no one from outside of us/japan?
My girfriend couldnt watch the movies as well....

Anyone having the same problems?
Is it an IP bann?
If it is: Why those innocent Snake movies?

Edit: Wasnt able to post in dojo update. Why?
One word for you my friend: YOUTUBE!

Torengo

Smash Rookie
If you have the right browser plugin or software, you could try just downloading it to your computer. That's what I do, then I upload them elsewhere.

SSoH

Smash Journeyman
Well, there was a lot of traffic for those movies when they first came out. I was having problems loading them, too, and I'm from the USA. They are on youtube and other game sites.

Torengo

Smash Rookie
I believe the Snake videos weren't put up because of translation and voicing issues, not censorship.

Evolver

Smash Cadet
its not a problem from germany ;) its works fine here in austria, and some of my friends (asked 9 friends of mine) in germany could watch it too ...

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Like I said, the newest movies are stored on a remote server. This remote server, data.nintendo.co.jp, often has loads of internal server errors. That's why I don't love the Japanese Nintendo sites.
And for the people with impaired sight:

xxLinkGodxx

Smash Cadet
n.america and japan have more demand for the game. they will also make up most of the market for the game as well.

i bet the other countries takea lot longer to get the voiceactors to do snakes voice. as you can hear david hayter is the snake for the n.america and we heard he started working on snakes voice just a little before the update was out in the americas

Ferret

Smash Cadet
I hope they keep David Hayter's Voice in the european version and just translate the text, because it's just too awesome ^^

Top Bottom