• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake KO Percents and More

cisyphus

Smash Ace
Snake's KO Percents and More in Spreadsheet Form

Alright, so I've posted this link a few times already, but this is the first time I've "completed" the spreadsheet of Snake's KO potential. Completed is in scare quotes because I've only included Snake's best KO moves/combos:
1. Fully charged mine (mostly for rest punishes since it's literally the best option, but could be useful elsewhere maybe!?)
2. Up Throw -> C4 (the b&b KO combo, % before grab with C4 detonation at the apex of up throw).
3. Fair (Heel hitbox, which has a considerably better angle than the thigh hitbox).
4. Vanilla mine (that is, an uncharged down smash, for situations where your opponent finds them in varying ways).
5. C4 (without any launcher).
6. Fair (thigh hitbox, so you'll know whether to fuss about spacing based on percent).
7. Utilt (for those super long-range tranqs and flashy jab resets).
These are also ordered from strongest to weakest based on the average KO% across all characters.

Also included is confirmation of whether or not a character may be chaingrabbed, with those unable marked with an "N/A" in the I column. Moving further, the K column contains a character's average KO percent based on these seven options as a sort of rough guide for when you should start trying for KOs. The L column contains a simple comparison between the C4 and the Mine, where a negative number signifies that a C4 is more effective than a mine on the given character, as well as the percent difference signified by the number itself.

All of these numbers were tested on Final Destination with no DI. The Fairs were tested based from the third CPU spawn point toward the left blastzone for the sake of consistency. It tends to be that the thigh hitbox will KO the first CPU spawn (the farthest left) off the same blastzone at the same percent, as well, to give a frame of reference for how distance affects the KO moves (this is one of the things I intend to elaborate on further by testing from the very edge of FD).

I also have some fragmented information on Bair, Up Throw, and the second and third hits of F Smash KO %s which I can edit in at any time by viewing the revision history of the spreadsheet. I honestly got lazy testing all of these and figured it'd be best to streamline the process so I could share the most pertinent information first, with the subtle hope that this would fire up enough people to want to contribute themselves. Other values I'd like to test include:
- U Air
- Grenade
- third hit of Nair from edge of Final Destination
- Ftilt combo
- Dtilt
- Applying how the stage ceilings compare over a variety of characters (taking note of extreme examples like Captain Falcon and Jigglypuff, who have the highest and lowest upward KO %s respectively.
- Applying how DI affects the KO %s, especially of up throw C4.
- Up Throw to C4 options, including:
1. When Snake needs to Short Hop
2. When Snake Needs to Full Hop
3. When Snake can no longer stick safely
This would cover characters like Wolf, who can be stuck while grounded at low % and characters like Kirby, who need a short hop at all times.

I do recall going through the stages to vaguely figure this out (I believe I used Luigi, assuming him to be neutral—turns out Sheik or ROB are better, but of course, testing multiple characters provides better accuracy overall) and came up with this:
I've been doing a lot of knockback spreadsheets lately, so I'm gonna unload a whole lot of that here right now. I use Final Destination as the basic guideline, just know that most stages are within 5% of its ceiling to bottom platform height, with Dreamland being around 20% higher, Dracula's Castle and Skyworld around 10% higher, and WarioWare and Yoshi's Story being about 10% lower.
I'm open as well to any and all suggestions to streamline this chart/post to increase comprehension!

Last edited:

cisyphus

Smash Ace
Oh I'm well aware, but I'll be able to take a test sample of each data point and see by how much it changes. I kinda wanna rework this to include the full range (from no DI to max DI) and for each stage, which would require all kinds of retesting anyway.

cisyphus

Smash Ace
It's a common KO option, honestly. It's good for times when you can't get a reliable stick set-up and your opponent is conscious of mines. It also helps vs. Sheik/Zelda who can transform to unstick the C4 (but still get hit out of transform by it if they're grounded). For example, it works:
As a tech read option (best with down throw to eliminate most options).
As an edgeguard option (I describe the typical setup in the vs. Samus thread).
As a vertical projectile (Drop and detonate).
As a surprise (excellent reading/poor awareness from the opponent)

All of which have the capability of KOing at the given percents (and tend to get DI'd poorly, too). All that said, it's most useful immediately after it's been placed; any longer and you have to both coax your opponent into its range AND detonate it, which is far too much work.

cisyphus

Smash Ace
So I got curious about U-throw to U-air values and found something pretty outstanding: Fox dies to the true combo U-throw -> U Air -> C4 detonation at 65% from Final Destination with no DI. Given that this is 25% stronger than the next best KO option (a sweetspot Fair), that's pretty outstanding. The one downside is that proper DI makes it quite a bit more difficult to follow up. However, I've also tested the True Combo percents of Fox, and:
U-throw -> U-air links up to ~125%,
The combo KOs at ~110% (13% below U-throw -> C4)​
U-throw -> U-tilt is a 22% combo that works from 20~80%.

I think one can safely assume that a U-throw -> U-air -> c4, if landed properly, will result in a KO at ~ 80% regardless of DI, but I'd need to sit down and test it conclusively to figure:
- If there's a DI that prevents a U-air followup
- What DI is best to prevent the KO, as well as when that DI doesn't even matter.
- If these two overlap, meaning it's not actually viable.

I ran through Sheik as well and found that the C4 combo will KO off the grab at 50% (no DI) which is highly significant considering Sheik can be chaingrabbed up to around 40%. This means Sheik can be KO'd consistently with just two grabs with good follow-ups (one grab->C4, then one chain grab to 40%, a single downthrow tech chase, pummel, KO combo). This builds a representative framework where.

In addition, I've created separate sheets for each stage that's seen legal tournament status in PM Singles. These include:
Battlefield
Dracula's Castle
Dream Land 64
Distant Planet
Final Destination
Fountain of Dreams
Green Hill Zone
Lylat Cruise

Norfair
Pokemon Stadium 2
Rumble Falls
Smashville
Skyworld
Wario Ware Inc.
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Yoshi's Island (Melee)

Bolded Stages
are the most contested, italics stages are TBH4. Any input on what is truly necessary would help immensely. The contested stages tend to be allowed for doubles, so that's something to consider as well. I'm holding off on actually obtaining any values for these (or taking the above ruminations further) due to the approach of 3.5, but it's good to have a set plan for when it does eventually drop.

Last edited:

cisyphus

Smash Ace
Updated the FD percentages to align with 3.5 changes, as well as adjusted the fair KO% to be from the stage's center as opposed to the off-center spawn point I used previously. I've also tested full DI away on the up throw C4 combo and found that it helps survivability by no more than 5% in relation to the neutral DI, as Wolf still dies to the combo at 116% (being safe with this factor because I'm not going to test it with every single character: Wolf is the hardest to KO off the top and should provide a viable "ceiling").

8 December 2014 Edit:
Added a lot of grab information for all characters, including regrab percentages (if any) out of uthrow for 32/41 characters. I've also added information on when utilt, up air, and C4 sticks are guaranteed follow-ups (or as close as I can get in the case of the C4s). I've also added confirmation on whether a character can duck under Snake's standing grab as well as whether their sleeping animation (out of tranq) is too low to grab. All of this is in the "up throw" tab.

10 December 2014 Edit:
Added full Lylat Cruise KO percentages for the following characters, including KO percents for mine, c4, and uair for the middle platform (the side platforms sit slightly lower and add ~2-4%):
Mario, Wario, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Captain Falcon, Fox, Falco, Ice Climbers, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, Ivysaur, Charizard, Dedede, Ike

I've also reorganized the stagelist for now so that I can show what I'm prioritizing most to least. So:
Lylat > Battlefield > Smashville > Pokemon Stadium 2 > Fountain of Dreams > Green Hill Zone > Dreamland 64 > WarioWare Inc. > Final Destination > Yoshi's Island > Norfair > Skyworld > Distant Planet > Yoshi's Story > Rumble Falls > Dracula's Castle

This is mostly because I'm TOing a big Michigan regional and my stage list is the first nine stages (Lylat through Final Destination). If anyone would like to help out with this, shoot a message my way and I can add editing rights.

And because I have no idea what sleep is anymore, I added in an experiment in platform interactions where I've listed how some of Snake's moves interact with the stages' various platform heights.

28 December 2014 Edit:
- Added Color-coding to the cells to indicate the following:
Combo KOs (meaning greater DI variations) are in light purple
Horizontal KO moves from the edge (meaning slightly less DI variation) are in light yellow
Horizontal KO moves from the center (Meaning large DI variations) are in light orange
Vertical KO moves from the stage's base are in light blue
Vertical KO moves from the stage's first platform tier are in light green
Vertical KO moves from the stage's second platform tier are in light red

- The sheets have been standardized to fit this order as well.

- Removed the "Fully Charged Mine" column from all sheets due to the how unapplicable it is to standard play.

- General visual improvements given to better distinguish information from headings.

- Added a Grenade KO% sheet to show when Snake will die from his own grenade on each stage.

- Alphabetized the Stages in the bottom Sheet bar and included the full stage name as opposed to the abbreviated form for increased clarity

- Removed Dracula's Castle and Rumble Falls from the spreadsheet completely due to their uncommon appearance on tournament stage lists.

- Various KO%s have also been added, mostly involving Snake.

- Added KO%s for Fox, Peach, and Marth as representatives of fast-faller, floaty, and mid-weight ranges to the 9 stages used at Big Beach House.

- Improved average formula boxes to allow for easier addition and deletion of data. Simply Right Click and select "Insert 1 left/right" or "delete column" respectively and the averages boxes will automatically adjust for the changes!

That's all for now, I hope y'all enjoy how much nicer it looks!

Last edited:

BND

Smash Apprentice
It might be worth adding what grabs Snake can duck under. Here's a brief list that I compiled. 1s = can grab, 0 = whiff:
grab dashgrab pivot
Yoshi 1 0 1
Wolf 1 1 1
Wario 1 1 1
Tlink 1 1 1
Sonic 1 1 1
Snake 0 0 0
ZSS 0 0 0
Samus 1 1 1
Roy 1 1 0
ROB 1 1 1
Jiggs 1 1 1
Icies 1 1 1
Squirtle 1 1 1
Charizard 1 1 1
Ivysaur 1 1 1
Pit 1 0 0
Olimar 1 1 1
Pikachu 1 1 1
Peach 0 0 0
Ness 1 1 1
Mewtwo 0 1 1
Meta Knight 1 1 1
Marth 1 1 1
Mario 1 1 1
Luigi 0 0 0
Lucas 1 1 1
Lucario 1 1 1
Link 1 1 1
Giga 1 1 1
Bowser 1 1 1
Kirby 1 1 1
Ike 1 1 1
Ganon 0 0 1
G&W 1 1 1
Fox 1 1 1
Falco 1 1 1
Donkey K 1 1 1
Diddy K 1 1 1
Dedede 1 0 1
Flacon 0 1 0
Sheik 0 0 1
Zelda 0 0 1
There are a few things worth noting about the compilation of this list:
1a. Snake's torso is a lot easier to grab than his legs. The list compiled refers to what grabs his torso region.
1b. Some of these grabs are somewhat situational and require good spacing. For example, it's entirely possible for Snake to duck under Link's grab when the grab is misspaced. In other words, this list assumes the worst case scenario.
2. Some values might not be accurate; it's easy to show that something's possible, but hard to show that something's impossible. That being said, it's possible (though overall unlikely) that some of the 0s are actually 1s. In particular, it took me forever to largely confirm (read: gave up testing) that Roy's pivot grab misses Snake, since I was getting false positives from the occasional standing grab/dash grab associated with grabbing too early or late.
3. That being said, some of the pivot grabs *may* have actually been dash grabs. Proceed with caution.

Last edited:

cisyphus

Smash Ace
I have a list posted in this forum somewhere (probs. the 3.5 discussion). Also: it is possible for Snake's Dash Grab to grab Snake iirc. The hitboxes are just a bit inconsistent/difficult to use. I hesitate to integrate this data at present for the reason that it doesn't appear to be 100% accurate, both based on your comments as well as some of my first-hand experiences with this data (particularly the Snake dash grab that can grab Snake).

Last edited:

BND

Smash Apprentice
...Wow, that's a really wonky grab hurtbox (Apparently the horizontal bit of Snake's lowest grab box needs to be exactly above the top of Snake's head). Thanks for pointing that out; I might remake the list if nobody else does first and I can get camera lock to work on Dolphin, since it seems like a lot of these values are wrong when factoring in Snake's head. (Yoshi's dash grab can actually grab snake, but only with what appears to be the first 2 frames)

Last edited:
Top Bottom