• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake Impressions

BlueChopper

Smash Rookie
OK, my Brawl arrived (yeah ^^) and I had a playsession with some friends yesterday and because I wanted to main Snake he was the char I used the most, so here some thoughts about him:

First of all we played a lot FFA and I didn't get the chance to play 1on1 (except some vs CPU yesterday night), so most 1on1 thoughts are speculation (but shouldn't be that bad ^^)

Snake moves very slow and taking him up for the first time when you are used to Melee really needs practice, first of all because some of his smash attacks aren't classic. Even if I knew that his down smash was the mine I ended up using it from time to time, because I though that it would send the enemy flying.

His Mines are deadly, really. You just have to remember where you put them and which one. One good thing is, that you can place the C4 in the air, it will then just fly down to the ground and attach. Another Combo I found out that works is using a chain reaction, i the enemy stands next to the mine and you have an C4 planted like this:
C4 - Mine - enemy
You can explode your C4, the mine will go of to and send the enemy flying. But takes some tie to lear how far to put them away so that it still works.

I didn't use the nikita that often, becuase it is pretty slow. It IS fast when going forward, but changing directions takes time and when Snake putes the nikita away, you are attackeble for 1-2 seks. So ostly used if an enemy charges at you, you give him a welcome present.

Grenades are more of a mind game for me till now. Throw it at you opponent and he has to take a move. Detotantion time is pretty long, but you can hold them in your hand after pulling the plug.

His recovery is extreme. First of all it's high and you can move after doing it (air attacks, laying C4,...) and the best: you don't flinch. Even if you are hit, you take the damage, but don't go flying. Didn't get the chance to try if it woks on final smashes (maybe later), but imagine: Mario/Samus/... gets Final Smash und triggers, Snake uses b up, gets damage but still lives. Sounds pretty good to me ^^

His Mortar is very useful, for edgeguaring and in play. The more you charge it, the higher it goes and comes back to the ground. One combo i found, that was pretty effective is dash attack forward into and enemy (snake rolls into the enemy and sends him up) and instant mortar. On low/mid % you can stack up some extra damage that way.

His forward smash is horrible, because it comes out very slow, but when it hits, it has a huge knockback and good damage.

His grabs are good, but not that good. His down grad (laying the opponent on the ground) can be used for combos (Didn't try any yet), but be aware that the opponent stands up the instant he is layed down, maybe he lies a moment, but not very long. The combo shown in the vid (mine + down grab) should be the best combo.
His other grabs throw the enemy away, but also, didn't use them enough to say much about them.

His aerials aren't bad, but his forward air is veeerrryyyy slow, so pretty useless. His back air on the other hand is goood ^^ He kicks his opponent with knockback, anough to get hi of stage. His up air is a spike (bit like fox). I don't recall his down air, will check later.

His Final Smash is good, and i mean, VERY good. Everytime i got the ball, everyone was like "oh no, not again *****". You really should be able to kill everyone with this move ^^

So, that all for now, you are free to post questions, i will try to answer them as possible when i'm online. I know some moves are missing (Tilts f.e.) but I didn't use them a lot, maybe if I get to play later, I will try them.

PS: I noticed that Snake has only one Stance, his Box oO

EDIT: Added aerials, sry forgot them.

EDIT 2: I tried it: you don't flinch when in marios final smash and using up+b, you get damage, but fly up thought the fire storm

The Enemy

Smash Apprentice
Thank you for the post. How many down smash mines can you have on the screen at a time? Do you detonate the C4 by pushing Down-B again? Is the Cardboard box useful for anything?

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
Thank you for the post. How many down smash mines can you have on the screen at a time? Do you detonate the C4 by pushing Down-B again? Is the Cardboard box useful for anything?
you can only have 1 downsmash mine at a time, the others will disappear if you attempt to place another one down

you detonate the C4 the same way you place it which is Down-B (best move ever btw)

and the cardboard box happens to cause damage and slight knockback if it hits them when you throw it :)

The Enemy

Smash Apprentice
Thank you very much Psycho. One more question, What are Snake's other two taunts? Do they do anything special as well?

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
Thank you very much Psycho. One more question, What are Snake's other two taunts? Do they do anything special as well?
sadly I believe all the directions on the d-pad result in the box taunt

unless I happend to be ******** and hit the same directions everytime

The Enemy

Smash Apprentice
....The box is more than awesome enough to be his only taunt I guess.

Amatsu

Smash Rookie
Is fair useful for edgeguarding? How is the priority of that move? Is it hard to get the spike? What if we jump, air dodge backwards and do fair? Neutral A while airborne seems only useful if you short hop and do the move. How is the priority of the side tilts? It seems that Snake is the type of character that lasts long but may not have a good kill ratio.

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
Is fair useful for edgeguarding? How is the priority of that move? Is it hard to get the spike? What if we jump, air dodge backwards and do fair? Neutral A while airborne seems only useful if you short hop and do the move. How is the priority of the side tilts? It seems that Snake is the type of character that lasts long but may not have a good kill ratio.
ok lets see... His F-air is very awkward and has way too much windup to be an efficient edgeguard.

Not so sure about priority, almost everytime there was a guy in the way while it was coming down it would hit them even if they hit me... and it hits hard.

It's similar to DK's F-air, pretty difficult to spike when above your opponent with it because as your foot comes down your character gains some hight, plus you have to sweet spot it to spike otherwise they will fly up... but it's quite powerful so it can kill up at good percents

umm... you can't directional dodge so I'm not so sure what you mean... but I did notice he has some pretty good air control so you can jump F-air then pull back as its coming out.

I haven't seen much use for the N-air mainly when I short hop it I rarely get the fourth kick to come out which happens to be the only useful hit in the N-air. On some occasions I would land the fourth kick and it's quite powerful

Tilts ****.

And about him killing people from my experience... up tilt and down tilt pretty much guarantees kills on people at 120%+ and the last hits on his foward tilt + A spam are good at killing at high percents. Also the C4 and the Trip Mine kill at relatively low percents by brawl standards... I'd say at about 90%

Kruton

Smash Ace
sadly I believe all the directions on the d-ad result in the box taunt

unless I happend to be ******** and hit the same directions everytime

Yeah, all his taunts are the same.
btw, I like the comparison of Snake's fair to DK's fair. Maybe it will help me hit with it more. >.<
I never thought of pulling away with it either.

Is it just me, or does it seem like air control while attacking is very precise? Example; When I was playing as Wario, I felt like I was friggin' Jigglypuff when I was doing his fair because of how controllable he is in the air while doing it.

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
Is it just me, or does it seem like air control while attacking is very precise? Example; When I was playing as Wario, I felt like I was friggin' Jigglypuff when I was doing his fair because of how controllable he is in the air while doing it.

It's funny how you made that comparison because I was a Jigglypuff main in Melee hahah :laugh:

But yeah it does.

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
This thread's quite relevant to my interests, thanks dude.
Hopefully I'll get enough wifi gameplay out of the cali players here to get my Snake game down.

Top Bottom