• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smogon's Tiering System / Standard Rules

Riddle

Smash Lord
Smogon's Tiers

Ubers

Ubers is essentially a banlist from OU. Basically if the people at Smogon believe that a pokemon may be too overpowered to be in OU then they hold a test and then vote on it. If the motion passes than that pokemon is banished to Ubers and no longer allowed in OU. How good a pokemon does in Ubers is irrelevant to Ubers status. Ubers pokemon are only allowed in the Ubers tier.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/tiers/uber

OverUsed

OU is a tier that is based on usage. On the Smogon University server of Shoddy Battle, data is collected about how often certain pokemon are used. Every couple of months the stats are looked at and a cut-off is agreed upon and the top pokemon are considered OU and banned from UU play. Viability in any tier is not relevant to OU status. If Magikarp is used enough on the standard ladder then it will become OU. OU pokemon are only allowed in OU and Ubers.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/tiers/OU

BorderLine

BorderLine is exactly the same as Ubers but its a banlist for UU instead of OU. Overpowered UU pokemon are tested and if they are determined to be too good then they are banned from UU and put into BL. OU viability is irrelevant to BL. BL pokemon are only allowed in OU and Ubers.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/tiers/uber

UnderUsed

UU is also a tier based on usage. Data is gathered from smogon university's underused ladder and if pokemon are used enough on the ladder than they become UU and are not allowed to be used in NU. Viability or opinions on the abilities of the pokemon are irrelevant. UU pokemon are allowed in UU, OU, and Ubers.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/tiers/uu

NeverUsed

Anything that is allowed in UU, but not used enough on the UnderUsed ladder to be considered UU is considered NU. This is the largest tier and is ONLY based on usage in UU, NOT usage in NU. Again, this is not based on viability, simply usage. NU pokemon can be used in any tier. NU pokemon are allowed in NU, UU, OU, and Ubers.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/tiers/nu

Little Cup

Any pokemon that can come from an egg and is the lowest form of an evolutionary chain is in LC. However, there are 7 Little Cup Ubers who can not be used in Little Cup. These are:

Scyther
Yanma
Meditite
Tangela
Sneasel
Misdreavus
Murkrow

Standard Rules

Sleep clause:

You can't use sleep inducing moves on an opponent's Pokémon when there's another Pokémon on his/her team asleep. Yawn can't be used to PseudoHaze (make opponent switch) when there's another Pokémon asleep caused by you. When the asleep Pokémon awakens or faints, you're free to make another Pokémon of his/her team asleep. Sleep caused by Effect Spore or Rest are excluded from Sleep Clause.

Species clause:

You can't use two of the same Pokémon in a team. I.E. 2 Scizors.

Evasion clause:

You can't use moves that increases your evasion. I.E. Double Team and Minimize.

Self-KO clause:

This clause covers two things. First, when you and your opponent have only one Pokémon left, if you use Explosion or Self-Destruct, you automatically lose. Also, if you use Destiny Bond, with your last Pokémon, and your opponents last Pokémon faints you, you still lose. This clause was made to stop matches from ending in a tie. Recoil moves (Brave Bird, Double-edge, etc.), however, are excluded from this rule.

OHKO clause:

You are strictly prohibited of using OHKO moves. They are Guillotine, Horn Drill, Fissure and Sheer Cold.

No Hacks:

You cannot use Pokemon with illegal moves or stats (999 in all stats or something ridiculous). Legal Pokesav is fine.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I always wondered what limbo was

I've seen it, but I don't think any pokemon's been placed there haven't they?

Also, lol guys, lets start using Magikarp so he can become OU :p

Riddle

Smash Lord
Limbo doesn't actually exist as a tier. It just refers to pokemon who are being tested so their destination is unknown.

rockem7

Smash Ace
I don't know this for sure, but could it possibly be used more around the time when they're testing new Pokemon? So like, when BW comes out, some pokemon will be in Limbo until their tier is determined?

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I don't know this for sure, but could it possibly be used more around the time when they're testing new Pokemon? So like, when BW comes out, some pokemon will be in Limbo until their tier is determined?
Well there will be a Limbo tier for gen 5 yes, but its existence in gen 4 is also irrelevant.

This post probably wasn't needed at all, but idc.

M.K

Level 55
Destickying for organizational purposes. When the new rules are established, feel free to ask me to sticky this again. :)

Top Bottom