• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smell ya later, Red! Gary Oak/Blue Wants to Battle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I don't think that it would be Eevee or Eeveelutions since it could poorly represent Blue as a character. We also already have grass, fire, electric, and water type Pokemon on the roster. I think that there should at least be some diversity.

I actually rather have Eevee be a separate character and use moves based on its evolutions… one can create a really creative moveset with that.
I'm thinking of Blue from Pokemon Yellow. I don't think it would be a poor representation as a result of that. You could also easily have it be other Eevee evolutions: Sylveon, Espeon, and Umbreon comes to mind for elemental diversity.

I don't have a problem with having a repeat of the three main elements (or any of the elements), because Smash as a series does not have too many electric, water, leaf element users. Fire is a bit higher, but most fire users are limited to one attack aside from Charizard.

D

Deleted member

I'm thinking of Blue from Pokemon Yellow. I don't think it would be a poor representation as a result of that. You could also easily have it be other Eevee evolutions: Sylveon, Espeon, and Umbreon comes to mind for elemental diversity.

I don't have a problem with having a repeat of the three main elements (or any of the elements), because Smash as a series does not have too many electric, water, leaf element users. Fire is a bit higher, but most fire users are limited to one attack aside from Charizard.
Well, I can't truly argue with this. Though, I don't think that Blue would use any Eeveelutions on his team; Eevee is a popular enough Pokemon as is to warrant its own spot on the roster.

I don't mind seeing any other elements get repeated as well. As long as the character is fun to play as, then I'm fine.

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
Gyarados, as cool as it would be to play him, isn't going to be picked over Blastoise. Green/Blue/Gary has used Blastoise enough for it to make sense to have him as a starter, canon or not.

Blastoise is top 3 favorite in old-gen as well, proof here: http://www.dorkly.com/toplist/55317/the-greatest-generation-i-pokemon-of-all-time

Blastoise makes much more sense and he's more relevant today. Here's more proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YSmYPhG18o&t=2m20s

I'd rather it be Blastoise, Arcanine, Alakazam/Rhydon. Exeggcutor is not a real fan favorite, whereas Alakazam is one of the most favored ranking in at number 9. Exegg also has no arms which doesn't help matters. The only reason I say Rhydon is because he is a Rock-type, and if Mewtwo is in he will fill the role of Psychic. If not, I'd rather Alakazam over Lucario or whatever new Psychic-type anyday.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Well, I can't truly argue with this. Though, I don't think that Blue would use any Eeveelutions on his team; Eevee is a popular enough Pokemon as is to warrant its own spot on the roster.

I don't mind seeing any other elements get repeated as well. As long as the character is fun to play as, then I'm fine.
Although Eevee is good enough for it's own spot, I would have Blue be in charge of the pokemon so you could cycle through three different eeveelutions. That's my main reason for the suggestion.

Morbi

Scavenger
I am still used to calling him by his original name, Green. He might be a good alternate costume, if that is what Sakurai is doing.

D

Deleted member

The original post now has:
-Less limitations for possible movesets and combinations (you can choose 3 from the 8 provided Pokemon; Alakazam, Machamp, Tyranitar, Aerodactyl, and Rhyperior added)
-2 movesets made by SuperBrawler and Tepig2000
-More arguments
-A signature icon made by Zhadgon

Thank you to everyone that is supporting this and for your help!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Gary Oak started with Squirtle and Blue from the pokemon special anime thing that just came out started with Squirtle.

D

Deleted member

Gary Oak started with Squirtle and Blue from the pokemon special anime thing that just came out started with Squirtle.
I know. I am just following by what the games say and the game's canon says that he doesn't use a Blastoise on his team. Other than character additions, I am unsure what sort of role the anime and manga has on Smash development or how they affect movesets.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I know. I am just following by what the games say and the game's canon says that he doesn't use a Blastoise on his team. Other than character additions, I am unsure what sort of role the anime and manga has on Smash development or how they affect movesets.
well, pokemon say their names. that's something from the anime.

D

Deleted member

well, pokemon say their names. that's something from the anime.
And that… I forgot about that… (I dunno why)

However, I am still going by the canon of the games. I really don't want to get into an argument about Blastoise.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Moveset for Blue w/ original three Eeveelutions:

Vaporeon
Specials:
Standard Special > Vaporeon shoots an Aurora Beam from its mouth, which does not a lot of damage but freezes the opponent temporarily (Perhaps launching like Mr. Freezie?)
Side Special > Vaporeon whips around and slaps with its tail, releasing a short lived water burst. Works more like a shorter Marill Pokeball than FLUDD or Squirtle's regular special.
Up Special > Vaporeon moves straight up in a waterfall which falls below it, slowing any opponents directly below it if in air.
Down Special > Vaporeon whips its tail in a full circle, providing a standard knockback.

Jolteon
Specials:
Standard Special > Jolteon shoots a Charge Beam from its mouth, which does not a lot of damage but shocks the opponent and keeps them in place temporarily.
Side Special > Jolteon does a quick charge forward, blowing through anything in its way w/ electric power.
Up Special > Jolteon uses Volt Switch, moves up quickly whilst supercharged with electric power.
Down Special > Jolteon uses Discharge which sends an electrical current in both directions

Flareon
(This one is hard because Flareon has no moves)
Specials:
Standard Special > Flareon shoots an ember straight forward, damaging opponents over time with fire damage
Side Special > Flareon uses Fire Fang, heavily damaging closeby opponents.
Up Special > Flareon uses Fire Spin, which propels it upward, shooting fire downward. Opponents hit with this fire damage get some fire damage over time.
Down Special > Flareon uses Lava Plume, sending lava in both directions.

Final Smash
Blue sends out Sylveon for a short time, who uses its magical fairy powers to kill everything (Especially dragons like Ridley)

This could be a lot better, but it's not bad for my lunch break I think.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I found really epic the idea of red, blue and green in the game with all the 1st gen starters evolutions, they have a lot of potential.
You guys are not talking about that, but still, i want this guy to appear :B

D

Deleted member

I found really epic the idea of red, blue and green in the game with all the 1st gen starters evolutions, they have a lot of potential.
You guys are not talking about that, but still, i want this guy to appear :B
Want me to add you to the support list?
Moveset for Blue w/ original three Eeveelutions:

Vaporeon
Specials:
Standard Special > Vaporeon shoots an Aurora Beam from its mouth, which does not a lot of damage but freezes the opponent temporarily (Perhaps launching like Mr. Freezie?)
Side Special > Vaporeon whips around and slaps with its tail, releasing a short lived water burst. Works more like a shorter Marill Pokeball than FLUDD or Squirtle's regular special.
Up Special > Vaporeon moves straight up in a waterfall which falls below it, slowing any opponents directly below it if in air.
Down Special > Vaporeon whips its tail in a full circle, providing a standard knockback.

Jolteon
Specials:
Standard Special > Jolteon shoots a Charge Beam from its mouth, which does not a lot of damage but shocks the opponent and keeps them in place temporarily.
Side Special > Jolteon does a quick charge forward, blowing through anything in its way w/ electric power.
Up Special > Jolteon uses Volt Switch, moves up quickly whilst supercharged with electric power.
Down Special > Jolteon uses Discharge which sends an electrical current in both directions

Flareon
(This one is hard because Flareon has no moves)
Specials:
Standard Special > Flareon shoots an ember straight forward, damaging opponents over time with fire damage
Side Special > Flareon uses Fire Fang, heavily damaging closeby opponents.
Up Special > Flareon uses Fire Spin, which propels it upward, shooting fire downward. Opponents hit with this fire damage get some fire damage over time.
Down Special > Flareon uses Lava Plume, sending lava in both directions.

Final Smash
Blue sends out Sylveon for a short time, who uses its magical fairy powers to kill everything (Especially dragons like Ridley)

This could be a lot better, but it's not bad for my lunch break I think.
While I did not list any Eeveelutions in the original post as Pokemon you can use, I will put this post in the original post. However, I have to get rid of the down specials since the down special would be Pokemon Change.
By the way, do you want me to add you to the support list?

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Want me to add you to the support list?

While I did not list any Eeveelutions in the original post as Pokemon you can use, I will put this post in the original post. However, I have to get rid of the down specials since the down special would be Pokemon Change.
By the way, do you want me to add you to the support list?
Yeah you can add me. I'm not a fan of the Arcanine/Exeggcutor/Gyarados plan but I think Blue could be really well implemented

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
I think Blue/Green/whatever you want to call him would be the perfect counterpart trainer to Red on the roster, although, considering they just called Red "Pokemon Trainer," I feel like they would just call Blue "Rival" or something. But that's beside the point. Funny thing, I actually thought of him independently for my own personal roster-maker, then came here and saw this - really, I'm amazed nobody made this thread way sooner, heh.

I would say Blastoise could be considered canon and makes perfect sense, since Red in Brawl has a Charizard, and the rival traditionally uses the starter strong against yours. Just having a rehash of the 3 starters might be somewhat boring, but I think Blastoise would play differently enough from Squirtle that it shouldn't be an issue. I also like the idea of using Eeveelutions - since Red has all 3 starters, a case could be built that he is the Red from Yellow, where Blue starts with an Eevee. I just think it makes sense to let people use any Pokemon that Blue has used in the games - why limit the creativity of your thread?

I'd think they'd sort of want to match the general size/speed of Red's 3 pokes, just to balance things out, as opposed to giving him 3 large/fully evolved ones, but who knows. Maybe I'll try to come up with something at some point - right now, I'm off to work. Feel free to add me as a supporter, though :)

D

Deleted member

I just think it makes sense to let people use any Pokemon that Blue has used in the games - why limit the creativity of your thread?

I'd think they'd sort of want to match the general size/speed of Red's 3 pokes, just to balance things out, as opposed to giving him 3 large/fully evolved ones, but who knows. Maybe I'll try to come up with something at some point - right now, I'm off to work. Feel free to add me as a supporter, though :)
Alright. I will allow there to be no limits anymore. I guess this would allow for more opportunities for people to make more creative movesets.

I'll add you as a supporter!

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Not sure about the Pokémon choices, but I fully support Blue/Rival for Smash.

We need a "villain" trainer. :teeth:

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
An Eeveelution should be involved in Rival Blue's team somehow, but quadrupedal characters might look awkward when performing grabs unless they have additional "limbs" like Ivysaur's vines. Sylveon can pull this off quite easily, but it doesn't suit Blue at all. Jolteon might be more suitable considering Blue gets one of you beat him in every battle before a certain point in Pokemon Yellow. That said... the other two that might go along with it are up for debate if his team is to be based off of Yellow instead of Red/Blue versions.

Rival Silver might be easier to deal with. He could have Feraligatr, Gengar, and Sneasel to square off against Red, but he is a small fry compared to Rival Blue.

That said, add me to the support list. I want a second Pokemon Trainer should Jigglypuff get cut from the roster.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I must have ownership of this thread.
I mean, Gary Oak is a friggin boss!

Gary is the best trainer ever! Better than Ash or Red BY FAR!
Look at all of the gym badges Gary earned in Kanto.
Let's count them up.

image.jpg

One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, and eight!
Wait a minute.......nine.......ten!?!?!

GARY OAK EVERYONE!!!

Gary Oak, Officially Licensed Awesome Person!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's been decided.

Mega Bidoof will now take over ownership of this thread. I have been focusing too much on Bomberman to really focus on the other threads. (please visit the thread, it needs a bumping)

However, I hope that Mega Bidoof will at least conserve the OP by putting it in a Spoiler. I worked hard on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I, Mega Bidoof, now officially have ownership of this thread!

The new OP is under construction!

It is about half-way done!

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I like Blue, but we don't really need another Trainer. However, I'd like to see him be an assist trophy, which is still unlikely, as he is a Pokemon character.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I like Blue, but we don't really need another Trainer. However, I'd like to see him be an assist trophy, which is still unlikely, as he is a Pokemon character.
For an assist, he can just drive through the stage in a sports car full of women saying "WE LOVE YOU GARY!!!!"

XtreamDarkRyu

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1375-8318-2992
well I support gary/green/blue/profanity . I guess I could attempt a move set as well. Now I can only really decide on 4 Pokemon that represent him in my eyes and those r raticate, archanine, alakazam and blastoise. I'll make specials for them and u can pick whatever u like.

Raticate
neutral b: super fang/hyperfang: essentially it is warios neutral b

side b: quick attack: he gets low to the ground and quickly scurries across the floor. The move goes farther the longer u hold it.

up b: slam: he jumps in an arc and spins slamming into the ground afterwards. If he hits an opponent in the air they get meteor smashed. If they miss it will continue on an arc until it hits land or dies.

down b: dig: he goes underground for as long as u hold b and then pops back up dealing damage. U cannot hold b for more than 3 seconds or he automatically pops up. When used in the air he falls straight down dealing damage and if used on platforms he falls straight through them dealing damage on his way to the ground. If b is held on the way down he will burrow underground. If done off stage he plummets to his death taking players unlucky enough to get caught with him.

Arcanine
neautral b: fire spin: flames engulf him while b is held

up b: Eruption: flames erupt from below arcanine, shooting him upwards like a canon

down b: flame charge: arcanine jumps back and charges his flames like foxes up b. He then flies forward and charges engulfed in flames for up to 3 seconds while b is held. While running around in flames u can only jump once and change direction. When b is released there is an explosion. If an enemy is caught in the flame charged run they r damaged similar to Sonics down b in project m.

side b: extreme speed: similar to foxes illusion only it starts immediately and has end lag while he stops. If an opponent is hit they r sent flying up and behind arcanine.

Alakazam
neutral b: calm mind: alakazam goes into a floating meditative stance. If hit while meditating he gains power to his next attack making his spoons glow. When hit he also causes a shock wave that only pushes enemies slightly away and deals no damage. Similar to FE character counters and ness' sheild.

Side b: Psybeam: shoots a beam sideways that can arc slightly. Think pit bows with limited control.

down b: future sight: when used alakazam teleports backwards about a character length. He can act out of the move immediately. Something like raidens teleport in MK. Basically for zoning and mixups.

up b: teleport: if for some god awful reason mewtwo is cut he can use the move. WHEN mewtwo returns maybe alakazam can surf on his spoons or I dunno, toss a spoon and when b is pressed again he can teleport to the spoons location.

Blastoise
up b: waterfall: he goes into his shell and spins as water erupts from below shooting him up. As he falls helplessly he can then control his direction but not jump or attack until he has touched ground.

neutral b: hydro pump: basically squirtles b but much stronger and last for a short split second burst like a cannon.

side b: skull bash/aqua jet: his only speedy mobility move. He lays down and puts his head down. Water shoots from behind and launches him quickly. He then skids to a halt.

down b: withdraw/rapid spin: blastoise retreats into his shell and takes minimal damage from moves that hit him and an spin with hitting A to knock them away.

final smash: all 3 Pokemon come out. They attack to the right left and above Gary. Opponents are safe on the top right or left of the screen.

So this is my first moveset post so please be gentle lol

Lastly I forgot to mention a way to make switching not so painful. Maybe when red or rival switch Pokemon they will have seals, which where in one of the games. Thus when a Pokemon emerges there is an effect, such as flames or water or psy energy to protect them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom