• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashTV - Episode V - Hax

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Sometimes I forget how long I have been a forum member, so I talk about things as if they are common knowledge, but people raise their eyebrow and say, “Huh?” So, say hello to <strong>SuperDoodleMan</strong>! He takes a rather unique approach to video-making. I mentioned him in last week’s episode of Show Me Your News, and I received the what-the-heck-are-you-talking-about reaction.

SuperDoodleMan played a huge role in introducing smashers to the concept of frame-by-frame analysis. Using primarily Action Replay, he would tweak the game to allow for some wacky occurrences. His videos feature everything from playing GigaBowser to having a normal match on the homerun stadium. The first big video that caught people’s attention was <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdUeaC7M3oo">Perfect Control</a>. Basically, SuperDoodleMan features various characters executing humanly impossible techniques. Some simply feature visual entertainment (such as several Yoshis tossing eggs from a ledge). Others demonstrate awesome effectiveness (uber effective in competitive situations despite being impractical). SDM later put out a sequel, <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9sa8133NBI">Perfect Control 2</a>. Be sure to also see <a href="http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=86806">Zero Mercy</a>.

These projects later spawned the idea to see what it would be like to have Fox conquer Adventure Mode on Very Hard with 1 stock all while taking no damage. It is a much longer video but definitely worth the watch. It is simply entitled <a href="http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=64340">Adventure</a>. This further inspired SDM to take up storytelling, so he also created <a href="http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=78690">The Wrath of GigaBowser</a>, a fascinating story about Bowser taking over the world of smash.

I hope to see more projects like this when Brawl comes out. Competition is fun, but just having fun with the characters also produces spectacular results.

PS - School kept me busy up until yesterday. Pardon the week gaps between episodes.

PilotEvan

Smash Journeyman
Oh, the Action Replay... I remember buying it, then spending hours JUST putting in the codes, and trying to get a Fox with Mewtwo's moves, then watching it freeze before one second was up. Good times.

SuperDoodleMan does make some good stuff, but I had NO idea that SDM (or anybody else for that matter) made a TAS of the game. Quite interesting.

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277
SDM has my complete and TOTAL respect. I have never seen such detailed and descripted work from anyone else...KUDOS TO YOU

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
...This is fantastic! I didn't know anyone was making good machimina (sp?) using Melee. I'd seen tons of bad stuff, but nothing decently written, well choreographed, and...surprisingly fairly well voice-acted. Even the editing is excellent!

I was equally thrilled to see there's a tool-assisted speedrun. Having fun watching that as I write this reply. Thank you for bringing attention to these, Buzz, and SuperDoodleMan for making the vids!

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Yeah, can't forget last tier war.
Not to mention the other 2 Zero Mercy videos.
Also his tutorials on float canceling as well.
He also proved wall-hugging does not give you any extra height when recovering.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
Actually I've heard from one of the people who used to work on The Last Tier War and he said it's pretty much dead. Sad to see it go. The Last Tier War is a project that SDM was working on. I really like his Wrath of Giga Bowser, which was the best Smash short ever. But there are tons of other great machinimas. Check his last tier war forum for some, which you can find on the second TLTW vid. Smashtasm is a great one, A link to the Smash is another. Legend of Mario is very well-done as well. Those are my three favorites there. I wish TLTW was still being worked on actively though :urg:.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
We'll need a Brawl-generation SDM in order to truly understand the game.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Is that even possible?
'm pretty sure there hasn't been an AR for the Wii yet.
There are other (less effective) approaches. For instance, if someone has any form of high-speed video capture, it could be analyzed that way.

PilotEvan

Smash Journeyman
They do have them out there already. In fact, when the Wii first came out, about a month or so later there were some similar hacking tools made, but they required soldering and other complicated crap. The "actual" Action Replay is distributing theirs for the Wii now if any of you are interested.

Top Bottom