• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashTV - Episode II - Montage Madness

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I don’t know about anyone else, but I was actually introduced to competitive smash through a combo video. Back before YouTube was big, almost all videos at Smash World Forums were available for download, so I actually have several old videos (both matches and montages) on my external hard drive.

The video I first saw was <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRTpywGEw3A">Hylian Nightmare</a> created by the GERM (fortunately, it is now up on YouTube). I was blown away at how fast Link was moving. Initially, my friends and I thought that the video footage was sped up! Soon after, we went into SWF and discovered the magic that is L-canceling. Competitive play aside, I still watch this video to this day. It was extremely well made, the music is awesome, and the footage matches the rhythm. I strongly recommend hunting down other montages created by the DBR crew (their latest being a <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vziStKcg6g">video about Silent Spectre</a>).

Combo videos are strong part of the smash culture here at SWF. The video forums were reorganized not too long ago to have <a href="http://smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133">a whole forum</a> dedicated to just this type of video. There is a lot of pressure when it comes to making these videos now. Many viewers expect some groundbreaking new combo to be displayed in every one. That is why when I made <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55L920RSbh4">The Kokiri Konquer</a>, I tried to focus more on entertainment and storytelling because I am not a pro Young Link with never-before-seen combos. The response was mostly positive (with several LOLs, I might add).

As part of this effort to branch out to more unique ideas for character montages, there are several videos out there I would like to draw your attention to. Take <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpAESH_2YOw">this one</a>, for example. It is called, “Falcon is the best character in this game”. At first, it seems odd because there is no custom music, no smooth transitions, and no players besides the two featured. That <em>sounds</em> like a bad montage formula, but this is one of the best videos I have seen in a while! These two players disabled stock and the time limit in order to be free to experiment with Captain Falcon. The combos displayed are incredible aside from often being impractical… but hey, they <em>look</em> cool!

XIF recently submitted his Peach video entitled “<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_3gvnGatuY">I Try</a>“. The music is great, and the combos are superb. The anti-Marth turnip-drop edge-guard is probably my favorite trick.

Another popular montage format is the <em>low tier glory brigade</em>. My personal favorite is <a href="http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=108901">t!mmy’s series of Kirby videos</a>. First and foremost, the music cracks me up and fits Kirby’s mindset quite well. From there, the combos are not too shabby! I definitely cannot play Kirby that well. Then there is Gimpyfish’s ever classic <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peK5LeukkYU">Boozer Cute</a> with Bowser picking on the top tier, another excellent blend of combos and cinematography. And holding up the rear (bottom tier, that is) is Taj’s Mewtwo video <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd1FFTsecW4">ShadowClaw</a>.

I am excited for the ideas players come up with once Brawl hits the streets! I am also terrified of what some people believe constitutes a good montage. While creating a “combo video” forum as a great idea for SWF, it also led to a stagnation of quality. In cased you haven’t noticed yet, music plays a key role in any video (unless it is super cool to begin with like the Captain Falcon video mentioned above). I won’t embarrass anyone by citing specific examples, but I have seen too many videos where the creators simply chose their favorite music even though it did not fit the mood at all. Choose music that fits both the character and tempo. Where possible, have the footage match the music rhythmically. When displaying impressive combos, make sure to actually show <strong>combos</strong> (one-hit KOs are not combos; two-hit combos are lame).? Otherwise, everything should be great, and I look forward to the wave of Brawl videos.

Also, I’d like to send my thanks to Youko for showing his support for SmashTV in last week’s podcast!

PilotEvan

Smash Journeyman
Alot of those combo videos convinced me to use a few of my low-tier characters. I remember one part of one of Buzz's videos (I don't recall which) where he ALMOST hit a Flame Spike, but not quite. Ultimately led to his doom, but a little comedy in a combo video is always good.

Woot for Episode number 2!

AniMaL 214

Smash Journeyman
Omg Buzz I Never Realized U Were That Young Link Player I Remeber Some1 Telling Me That U Had The Best Y Link In The World Sweeet

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Omg Buzz I Never Realized U Were That Young Link Player I Remeber Some1 Telling Me That U Had The Best Y Link In The World Sweeet
Best Young Link in the world? HA! I'm pretty sure you're mistaken, my friend.

BASSOONS! *shakes fist at Buzz*

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
LOL! MY video demonstrates such poor technique, it is somewhat embarrassing. I just had fun making it.

But yes, AniMal 214, you are indeed mistaken. Xsyven is actually the best Young Link in the world.

Florida

イーグランツ
Another great episode, Buzz! Will there be more than one host? :O

Combo videos are very entertaining, I often check out the Video Discussion just to see if any new ones have popped up recently. And thanks Buzz for all of those insane combo videos! That first clip in the Taj combo video seriously gave me chills! The music fit so well with it, and how Mewtwo walked away after obliterating his opponent was just epic!

Can't wait for more!

AniMaL 214

Smash Journeyman
ooo sry bout that xsyven just what i heard but buzz ur still prety nasty keep uip the sik forums cuz this is kinda like a dojo update 2 me on the weekends very niceee.

P.S metroid prime 3 = fuken insane gameeee

greenblob

Smash Lord
Yes, I agree, when making a combo video, please have actual combos. It's also highly recommended that most of your combos are zero % or low % to death combos. Recently I watched a video called "SSB Kirby Montage" or something like that...and I didn't see a single combo. Also, yes, missed techs and bad DI are ok, but don't overdo it. I remember a Samus combo video in which there was not a single tech.

Also, don't forget the SSB64 combo videos! After watching some, Melee combo videos seem very plain and sloppy. With SSB64 combo videos, missed techs and pseudo-combos are taboos, so you'll be watching 100% perfect combos.

Sandwich

Smash Ace
I am, infact, working on a combo video actually.
I think the name is in fact going to be called "C-C-COMBO BREAKAH!"
I don't know. This computer is slow and I can't get it into the USB port.

PilotEvan

Smash Journeyman
I've looked through my old videos, and I can't seem to find the video I was thinking of. I think it was your video (though perhaps not a combo video); I specifically remember text right after it saying it was "only a friendly match anyway" or something of the like. My apologies if it isn't you though, it's been so long.

Though as I was looking at your old videos, I did notice how much importance you put on music, and how it fit the character you were playing against and if it was serious or not, and it only made it that much enjoyable to watch, so I'd have to agree with your last statement about music. So many videos simiply throw in some random metal/rap song to make the video seem more "bad", yet those who can't stand the music probably won't be able to stand watching the video itself.

The only combo videos that I remember watching months or years after I've seen them were the ones that seemed to really flow and have a motif, such as t!mmy's videos, Mookierah's "Believe in Yourself" Mewtwo combo video (I'll never forget that intro), and "The Hero of Time" for it's Minish Cap-esque introduction, great music choice, and the Young Link to Adult Link trasition. Good combos are of course necessary in a combo video, but good production values make the video memorable, at least in my opinion.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I second that, PilotEvan. And I still have MookieRah's "Believe in Yourself" video. BEST VIDEO EVAR.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Oh yeah, don't forget Tapion's "Isai, are you watching?"
He actually synched the music and the combos.
Now that's a good one. One of my personal favorites, actually.

Yet another good article, Buzz. I've wanted to put out a combo video for quite some time and this definitely helped reinforce some of the points that I believe make a good video (cinematography, solid music that fits the tone of the character, etc).

Looking forward to next week's SmashTV.

Smooth Criminal

Banana_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Well, yet another awesome episode of Smash TV, Buzz! Thumbs up!
I'm planning on releasing a combo video when Brawl comes around and I've gotten the hang of it. (I main Kirby, in case I haven't said that a trillion times before :p)
And yes, you really are right about the music. I mean, I personally am a extreme metal fan, but I wouldn't use that for a Kirby combo video. I mean, I personally would use something happy/epic sounding or something dreamy, you know, something that you could say of "yeah, that really fits Kirby."

There's indeed too many combo video's out there where the music is just randomly slapped on and doesn't even flow into each other. (going from hardcore techno into hip hop into emo rock in the same video just doesn't flow, really, it doesn't)

Combo video's are indeed that much better when the music fits the character/mood of the settings.

Anyway, great article! Keep it up Buzz!

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Ah yes, videos back from the time when DC++ had a true purpose, youtube was unheard of, and almost every combo video you could find showed considerable effort in its creation.

I remember I tried to hold video editing improvement topic way back when to try to improve the general quality of video editing... it eventually sunk, but I hope it at least inspired a few people :-/

Finally, no mention of my videos from days past? Tsk tsk ;)

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Omni, I have the one you made on my hard drive for Kirby. :)

P.Vanity

Smash Ace
Rofl, it was the exact same combo video (Germ's) that got me and my friends into playing competively. My friend use to main Link and when we saw all the techs germ was using we started trying to do them ourselves, and then we stumbled upon SWF.

Florida

イーグランツ
After viewing this montage, I definitely have a new favorite combo video. I seriously think that this is a great example of what all combo videos should be like-- great music, great editing, and great combos. It really doesn't get any simpler.

Top Bottom