• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashTV - Episode I - Tires Don Exits

Mike87

Smash Ace
Another low tier destiny child is the almighty Gimpyfish. He plays Bowser because he likes the character and for no other reason! Regardless, by dedicating his energy to one character so valiantly, he has proven that Bowser actually can compete with the big boys! Fox has nothing on mad Bowser combos. Here are some extraordinary Bowser performances.

Gimpyfish (Bowser) vs L (Sheik)
Gimpyfish (Bowser) vs Eggz (Marth)
Gimpyfish (Bowser) vs Hitsugaya (Peach)
Gimpyfish (Bowser) vs Tiep (Samus)
**** Gimpy kicks ***.

gamingotaku

Smash Rookie
Tiers are only a measure of how intuitive a character is, not of how much better it is. Some characters are simply more approachable than others. That doesn't mean they're better, it only means they flow more naturally. Bowser, for example, requires much more strategy (as the article states) than Sheik, not because Sheik is easier to master, but because she's easier to pick up to more players than Bowser is.

Maybe 1 out of every 200 players feels Bowser is more intuitive than Sheik, but since the other 199 feel otherwise, Sheik will no doubt be much higher tier than Bowser, because she's simply more approachable by more people than Bowser. Thus, tiers are not a measure of who's better than whom: they measure how approachable a character is to how many people.

That said, if we start to take notice of lower tier characters and focus on how to play them at a competitive level, we'll no doubt expand the Smash universe, and create greater variety of gameplay styles. And that can never be bad, now can it?

greenblob

Smash Lord
That's not necessarily true. Fox and Falcon are much harder than Link.

Tiers reflect the currently observed potential of a character. That means that from what people have seen, Sheik plays better than Bowser. Tiers are based on the metagame, not a random matchup between two noobs.

gamingotaku

Smash Rookie
That's not necessarily true. Fox and Falcon are much harder than Link.

Tiers reflect the currently observed potential of a character. That means that from what people have seen, Sheik plays better than Bowser. Tiers are based on the metagame, not a random matchup between two noobs.
Easy to master or not, they're generally found to be more intuitive than Link and are thus more approachable. I didn't say in my previous post that it was easier to master higher-tiers. I said they were easier to approach.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Ask any casual player which one's more intuitive: Link or Jigglypuff.

Consider the fact that it is impossible to balance out a roster of 26 characters.

Also, that's not the idea of tiers. It may be true, but not necessarily. I think what you're getting at is that since Sheik is easier, people played her more and discovered more of her strategies, and since Bowser is awkward, people didn't play him much and not all of his secrets may have been unlocked.
However, whether this is true or not doesn't matter because, again, tiers are not a measure of true potential--they're a measure of discovered potential.

gamingotaku

Smash Rookie
Ask any casual player which one's more intuitive: Link or Jigglypuff.

Consider the fact that it is impossible to balance out a roster of 26 characters.

Also, that's not the idea of tiers. It may be true, but not necessarily. I think what you're getting at is that since Sheik is easier, people played her more and discovered more of her strategies, and since Bowser is awkward, people didn't play him much and not all of his secrets may have been unlocked.
However, whether this is true or not doesn't matter because, again, tiers are not a measure of true potential--they're a measure of discovered potential.
...and characters with the most discovered potential are those that are the most intuitive, because those are the ones that flow more naturally in battle, and are better understood. Also, tiers are based on the intuitiveness of a character in the hands of a pro player (see here), so the real question is: "Ask any pro player which one's more intuitive: Link or Jigglypuff." Thus, Jiggs is higher tier.

Anyway, I'm not starting an argument or anything (just clarifying, since text conversations can be misinterpreted); I'm just stating my opinion. :p

messiahfreak2000

Smash Apprentice
NNID
messiahfreak2000
yes, mario needs more love. despite his spot on the tier list, i can't fight with anyone else with the same efficiency as i do mario (except maybe marth). just goes to show that no matter the character (to a certain degree), it all depends on the player.

Top Bottom