• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashing the Competition - A Smashing Grounds Combo Video

HarmakPaul

Smash Cadet
NNID
harmak

A video to show off the talent at Smashing Grounds.

Thoughts? Opinions? What can I do to improve my combo video making?

CND

Smash Cadet
I do not have any experience making combo videos, but there was a couple I noticed when I watched the video that I thought I would note.

I think the random placement of the names is really distracting. I think I am used to checking the name under/above the respective character, so when I see the name you key in on one side I assume it is on the side of the character doing the combo but that is often not the case. Also, looking for the name during the middle of the combo often detracts attention from either the name or the combo. It might be better to keep the name in one place or keep it consistent with the player's side. As a player showcase, you could have a title card for the player's name and some sort of appropriate background, but that might be better if the player's had more equal representation in the number of combos.

Also, I think it might be a good idea to not follow footage of a player performing combo with footage of that same player being comboed, such as the video going from the DK player comboing directly into being comboed by Marth. It was a bit of a disconnect since I just got used to watching DK performing the combos then it took a moment to realize the role reversal.

Last edited:

4tlas

Smash Lord
I do not have any experience making combo videos, but there was a couple I noticed when I watched the video that I thought I would note.

I think the random placement of the names is really distracting. I think I am used to checking the name under/above the respective character, so when I see the name you key in on one side I assume it is on the side of the character doing the combo but that is often not the case. Also, looking for the name during the middle of the combo often detracts attention from either the name or the combo. It might be better to keep the name in one place or keep it consistent with the player's side. As a player showcase, you could have a title card for the player's name and some sort of appropriate background, but that might be better if the player's had more equal representation in the number of combos.

Also, I think it might be a good idea to not follow footage of a player performing combo with footage of that same player being comboed, such as the video going from the DK player comboing directly into being comboed by Marth. It was a bit of a disconnect since I just got used to watching DK performing the combos then it took a moment to realize the role reversal.
I completely agree with the first point. I didn't notice the "SG Champion" thing for Poob or Sora because I was busy watching the combo. It wasn't until Numerics' clip, with the "5.3 Winner" thing so close to his name, that I noticed it.

I completely disagree with the second point, but maybe that's because I knew to associate the new player's name with the new character beforehand. I liked how you placed clips of the highlighted players getting combo'd immediately after highlighting them. I feel that it really shows that all the highlighted players are on a similar level to each other. Feels less fake to me that way (fake as in shows only the best)

Edit: As for other things, I loved the music choice, especially with how the ending matched up with Lucario hitting the Spirit Bomb.

Last edited:

CND

Smash Cadet
I am not sure
I completely agree with the first point. I didn't notice the "SG Champion" thing for Poob or Sora because I was busy watching the combo. It wasn't until Numerics' clip, with the "5.3 Winner" thing so close to his name, that I noticed it.

I completely disagree with the second point, but maybe that's because I knew to associate the new player's name with the new character beforehand. I liked how you placed clips of the highlighted players getting combo'd immediately after highlighting them. I feel that it really shows that all the highlighted players are on a similar level to each other. Feels less fake to me that way (fake as in shows only the best)

Edit: As for other things, I loved the music choice, especially with how the ending matched up with Lucario hitting the Spirit Bomb.
I am not sure if I agree or disagree with the combo chain of players, but I do know my negative opinions of it were caused by the names. I saw the name/title for Poob, but I did not see it for Sora, so I did not catch that transition. I was lead to believe the following combos would be performed by Poob until indicated otherwise, but that became a problem when the names are difficult to see and/or locate.

Last edited:

4tlas

Smash Lord
I am not sure

I am not sure if I agree or disagree with the combo chain of players, but I do know my negative opinions of it were caused by the names. I saw the name/title for Poob, but I did not see it for Sora, so I did not catch that transition. I was lead to believe the following combos would be performed by Poob until indicated otherwise, but that because a problem when the names are difficult to see and/or locate.
Ah, I totally see how if you missed the name then you would be thoroughly confused! I think the locations/colors for the names were the problem there. People are generally used to seeing the name on either the top or bottom of the screen, and since the bottom will be closer to the characters it should be easier to read.

Top Bottom