• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashing Entries Volume 3: A holocaust. Can it happen to us?

D

Deleted member

Link to original post: [drupal=3177]Smashing Entries Volume 1: A holocaust. Can it happen to us?[/drupal]

For those who haven't read my 2nd entry of the Smashing Entires Volume series, in the end of the blog post I made on the 2nd installment, I mentioned that I was going to speak of something serious. And it isn't revolving around gaming or entertainment for that matter. I was being serious when I meant I was going to talk about something serious. And so, I present to you the 3rd installment of the Smashing Entries Volume series.

Now this may sound morbid, but this is important stuff that you need to know about. You have to understand what was going on a long time ago.

When we talk about holocaust, we think of the Holocaust of the Jewish people from 1939 to 1945. However, some of you may not know what a holocaust is.

A holocaust is basically any genocide or mass mudering of a certain group. It can be religion, color, ethic groups, age, just about anything that can qualify as a group. The usual goal of a holocaust is to kill everyone in that particular group. This alone is a scary thought and is a reason why few people bother with the Holocaust on the Internet.

This isn't the main point, but let's mention the most famous one of them all, the Jewish Holocaust that we all know and hate.

Germany was in an terrible depression that was much worse then what we would ever experience in North America. The inflation was just terrible. There are people who litterally burned money just to keep inflation down. People in Germany wanted someone to blame. Prehaps they were responsible for the inflation. And guess what they blame? Jewish people.

Unlike most people in Germany, the Jewish people were actually doing well and going on with their normal life. However, soon, their life would forever be changed and it would be the beginning of the worst genocide in the world's history.

Adolf Hitler came to power in 1933. Soon after, he started to place restriction on the Jewish people.

They could not own jewelry, valueable or goals. They had to wear gold stars, could not frequent resteraunts, not allow to go to school, and must be home by six o' clock. Then came the ghetto that they were forced to move to. And then, they were deported to some of the most henious concentration camps the world has ever seen.

The trip there alone was horrible. People were forced into cattle cars and up to eighty were forced to ride on one cattle car. The conditions was terrible. They only had a limited amount of food to carry and could not bring much else. There was little room for them to breath.

But that was nothing compared to the absymal concentrations camps. The first danger was selection.

Pretend for this section, that this is you during the Holocaust. If you were an old person or a young child, you were automatically sent to the crematorium. There, you would be burned alive until you were completely gone. Nothing, nada, zilch. I can imagine that would be painful.

But even if you did avoid the crematorium, hell was still with you. You were forced to work in some of the worst conditions in mankind history. You had to work for up to twelve hours for no pay. You had to follow so many regulations and rules. One mistake and you would die. And there was very little food and water to drink. Basically for breakfast, you had coffee. For lunch, you ate soup. And for dinner, more soup. It was just soup, nothing else. No flavor in it. The food was probably terrible as well. And you would start to lose weight at a frightening pace. Sooner or later, you could no longer work and would die soon. And when you died, you weren't given an proper burieal. You were simple dumped into a ground or a truck and forgotten. That's how cruel the camps was.

Can you imagine having to go through that? Through all the pains and suffering? The thoughts of losing family members because of one selection? You'll probably have a hard time imagining being discrminated just becuase you were in a group that was being discriminated.

I have not experienced any of this, but I do understand the pain an suffering those people went through. If this isn't enough, I do recommend reading Night. Right now, I'm checking this book out and it's really good, but also depressing as well. This isn't some fictional stuff, this is real-life honest to god nonfiction story about a man who went through all of this suffering and terrible things. Go check it out, you will not regret it.

The death total could possibly scare you. Guess how many Jews died in the Holocaust? 5.9 million people. This is just absolutly shocking and sad at the same time.

They weren't the only people targeted. Look at how many people died at the Holocaust as well and they were not Jews:

Soviet POW's: 2-3 million
Ethnic Pols: 1.8-2 million
Romani: 220,000-1,500,000
Disabled: 200,000-250,000
Freemasons: 80,000
Homosexuals: 5,000-15,000
Jehovah's Witnesse: 2,500-5,000

Now you people do the math and see how frighening the result is. The Nazis were pure evil people that wanted everyone but there particular race destoryed, vanished, gone.

And holocausts aren't a thing of the past guys. As a matter of fact, some of you were alive when a holocaust in Rwanda happend. From April, 1994 to Mid-July, 1994, over one million people were killed in the genocide. Yes, as young as I was, I was alive during most of the genocide (I was born on April, 20 in that year).

So now finally I get to my point.

This can happen to us.

Now don't laugh and don't say it won't, because it can. While it isn't guaranteen, there is that small chance that a genocide or holocaust could happen to us. We have a very bad relationship with some countries, like for example, North Korea. If we let them go with their nuclear plan, they can use this on us and start a massive genocide. Can you imagine that happening? Would you want to see your mother, father, sibilings, and other relatives killed by a foreigner? This is one of the reason why winning the war against terroism is so important, to prevent an massive genocide at home.

North Korea is ruled by a dictactor who is responsible for the famine in the late 1990's in North Korea. He is an example of an heartless person who wants to kill and destroy other people that isn't like him.

We cannot afford to pretend that holocausts don't exist, and that it can't happen to us. It can and it could happen when we least expect it to.

finalark

SNORLAX
As long as there are over zelous patriots from any country bundled with massive amounts of elietism, a genocide in any part of the world is possible. That's my two cents.

The_Guide

Smash Journeyman
Are you basing your fear of Iran off the words of Ahmadinejad? If so, you should know that the man is just a figurehead. Khamenei, the country's supreme leader, is the one in charge.

Fun fact: Khamenei issued a fatwa declaring nuclear weapons unholy.

IMO, we should be much more worried about the stability of Pakistan.

Edit: After re-reading your blog, I think it would be much better if you gave more depth to your fears of an Iranian nuclear threat, and cut out the majority of the stuff about the holocaust. As most people are painfully familiar with the scale/inhumanity of the holocaust, it isn't really necessary to re-hash it.

D

Deleted member

Are you basing your fear of Iran off the words of Ahmadinejad? If so, you should know that the man is just a figurehead. Khamenei, the country's supreme leader, is the one in charge.
I'm not an Islamic person, so no I'm not.

Fun fact: Khamenei issued a fatwa declaring nuclear weapons unholy.
Then we should be worried about North Korea instead. Those people are developing nuclear weapons and they dislike the USA.

IMO, we should be much more worried about the stability of Pakistan.
We should also be worried about Al Queda and Taliban, two notrious terrorist group.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
Genocide is still happening in many places, most noticeably Africa. History has a tendency tor repeat itself, so I think the best we can do is to prevent large scale violence in different parts of the world.

Soviet POW's? Please they just went missing >_> ( Stalin is watching)

jivegamer

Smash Cadet
All I can say is that you should be very careful before you say that any regime,nation, or group is on the verge of committing a holocaust. There has to be clear evidence that their actions and ideology would both point to them being able and willing to take such an action. To say that you worry about North Korea being a threat for committing a holocaust against another country is a fairly strong statement, especially when considering their power and capabilities relative to the United States or even most second-rate world powers.

According to Websters, Holocaust and Genocide can be used roughly interchangeably, but it is generally more common to use genocide for most events other than the Nazi holocaust

Top Bottom