• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashers Raise Over $4000 For Nepal Earthquake Relief

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Just last week Nepal was hit with a devastating 7.8 magnitude earthquake. For those unfamiliar with the region, Nepal is a small 3rd world Hindu country located between India and China and is home to the famous Himalayas and Mount Everest with a population roughly the size of New York City. This recent earthquake has left several sacred temples in ruin, over 7,000 confirmed dead, and over 10,000 considered injured.

Neha "Lilo and Stitchface" Chhetri, an invitee to the Smash Invitational who alongside of her family was born and raised in Nepal, took action to try and raise funds for the relief effort. She set out to host a nine hour live stream on her Twitch channel, with plans to stream Melee while chatting on Skype with well known names like Tafokintz, Prog, PPMD, S2J, Milktea, HugS, Fly Amanita, Lucky, Leffen, and PewpewU and letting them give out Smash tips and stories. She set a modest goal of $1000 dollars to be raised during the event. As many know however, when Smashers band together for a good cause they tend to shatter expectations.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

The stream was a roaring success managing $4,080.08, over three thousand dollars over the original goal raised in the name of the Super Smash Bros. Melee community and donated for general relief. It is truly inspiring to see the community come together for such a fantastic cause. For those who missed the stream and want to donate to the victims in Nepal there are several fantastic options available to donate to. Hopefully all of these donations will in Neha's words "make a difference in the lives of those who have suffered for no good reason."

SmashCapps is in awe of the funds raised and wants to personally congratulate Neha for running such a fantastic stream. Follow Neha on Twitter to keep up with her adventures in Smash and the world. Follow @SmashCapps on Twitter to keep up with all things Smash.

Last edited:

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Shoutouts to all those who donated, especially to Wyzdm and The Crimson Blur who went on crazy matching sprees and donated over $700 EACH!

The charity we donated to at the end of the night was the Nepal Youth Foundation. That choice was due to them having several years of experience in Nepal doing relief work already, as well as word of how many organizations currently bringing in relief efforts to Nepal are reportedly having their contributions hoarded by corrupt government officials.

I really enjoyed setting the stream up tonight and making sure everything kept moving forward, and hopefully Lilo, Lee, myself, and any other Smasher that wants to join in will be able to in future events. :)

-DD

Extremmefan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Extremmefan
3DS FC
1435-9705-2987
I knew there was people who shared not only the same interest than me, but also the same "want to help people out" wish (which is also my wish). Well done, Smashers.

Last edited:

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
Diddy has had 4 significant nerfs. We raised $4k. Coincidence? I think not.

(disclaimer: I actually have no idea how many times Diddy has been nerfed or what those nerfs were.)

Extremmefan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Extremmefan
3DS FC
1435-9705-2987
Diddy has had 4 significant nerfs. We raised $4k. Coincidence? I think not.

(disclaimer: I actually have no idea how many times Diddy has been nerfed or what those nerfs were.)
What about the insignificant nerfs?

Wazurau

@EVO2K17 -> PGL KRAKOW -> DHATL17 -> GOML 2017
3DS FC
2423-3599-5502
This is honestly so amazing to see

Last edited:

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
Can confirm that the stream was awesome. Lots more viewers than we thought there would be. It was the first time I ever actually had to use my mod powers in her stream before.

Blue Sun Studios

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueSunStudios
3DS FC
4768-8305-0092
Looks like there is some good left in this splintered fandom.

Chris Sifniotis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
chrissifniotis
Wow, this really is a side to Smash we just don't see very often. It's a great idea and I'm happy to hear how well it went. $1000 is modest, but 408% inflation is spectacular.

#ForCharity

Extremmefan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Extremmefan
3DS FC
1435-9705-2987
The sarcasm is overflowing from these guys but you're still responding like they're serious.
Actually, I wasn't quite being serious myself. The "I doubt that" sentence is supposed to mean that I'm not actually surprised.

Blue Sun Studios

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueSunStudios
3DS FC
4768-8305-0092
Nepal just got hit with another earthquake today, killing at least four people (it could have been worse). It hasn't even been a month yet.

HappyW@nderer

Smash Cadet
This is amazing. The community can do anything as long as we set our minds to it. I shed a tear to this awesome stream. :,)

Top Bottom