• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashCAP 4: Concept Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
[SmashCAP 4]
Start date: 8/1/10
End date: --/--/--

Fourth time's a charm!

Here we are once again. Concept submissions for SmashCAP 4. Different from when we held submissions for SmashCAP 1 and 2, there will be a set format for members to submit their concept ideas. Submissions like "Let's make a killer physical wall." without backing support will not be tolerated.

Name: Name of your concept
Analysis: What is the purpose of this concept? How would a Pokemon created around this concept be different from other OU Pokemon? Try to only cover the basic background of your concept. Maybe mentioning some helpful abilities or typing would be good, but remember that those have their own respective stages later on in the SmashCAP process.
Extra: Extra optional information, just as more backing support. Questions this concept would face should be included here.
A deadline for submissions will be set, but in the meantime let's get our creative juices flowing!
Please remember to respect all global forum rules.

Moozle

Smash Champion
Name of Concept: Stall Breaker

Analysis: Since the ban of Salamence, stall has become very popular in the metagame. There are good mixed attackers like Infernape who do a good job of stopping stall, but I don't think there is a pokémon who does the job perfectly. I'll admit that I don't know everything about stalling, but I think a fast poison type with perish song/taunt would be cool to use to combat the stall. I know you don't like ability talk at this point, but Cloud Nine would be a good ability for it.

The idea might suck, but one more suggestions doesn't hurt :)

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Ahh yes I forgot to mention. Try to only cover the basic background of your concept. Maybe mentioning some helpful abilities or typing would be good, but remember that those have their own respective stages later on in the SmashCAP process.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Mence isn't banned in OU+, and Zook with his massive base 140 SpA can wallbreak already. Just sayin.

Concept: Anti Hax

Analysis: Hax is something that everyone and their mother complains about. It ruins what could be good games, a freeze comes in, Jirachi flinches through three of your Pokemon, a miss decides the game or a crit turns the entire tide of a match-up, or possibly TWave decides that you really need to stay para'd while your opponent gets a +6/+6 DDMence. Why not have a Pokemon that you could switch into all this oncoming hax and prevent it from ever happening? Something that could absorb that TWave, and stop flinch fests, or prevent moves from missing? This would take an extremely complicated combination of moves, stats, and abilities, but if done right this could be exactly what the metagame is looking for.

Extra:
I had a friend go theorymon with me about this, and an idea of a Ground/Fire with No Guard and an ability that mirrored Shield Dust would be a way to optimize this, along with moves like Safeguard, Gravity, or Lucky Chant to bring it all together.

Is an anti-hax Pokemon alone enough of a Niche for it to be useful in the OU metagame?
Is it worth carrying an anti-hax Pokemon just to deal with certain instances?

We're running out of OU Niches. I had to think of something new and unprecedented. I think I found it.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Name: Reliable Status Inficter

Analysis: The Pokemon games possess many different status inflicting moves, from Thunder Wave to Toxic, Hypnosis to Will-O-Wisp. There are very few Pokemon which have access to a wide variety of status inflincting moves, and even fewer who can pull it off successfully. Most status moves suffer from a lack of reliability: 75 is a normal stat for a status inflicting move not named Thunder Wave or Confuse Ray.

However, there are several abilities which help boost accuracy or increase the chance of a move's secondary effect activating. For example: Compoundeyes. This ability raises all of the Pokemon's attack accuracy by 30%, which eliminates the unreliable accuracy troubles of moves like Sleep Powder and Will-O-Wisp. No Guard also stands out, raising the accuracy of all moves to 100%. Serene grace would be an interesting addition if we wanted this CAP to go a more offensive route.

With a good speed stat and a reasonable amount of defense, the Reliable Status Inflicter would have no problem outrunning and crippling a Physical sweeper with a burn, or prevent a wall from setting up. In theory, a reliable status inflicter could plug your team's weak spots.

Extra: I'm pretty sure there's no other Pokemon which fills this role successfully. I've seen dual status sets on plenty of UU and NU sets, but I'm not sure how well they work, if it all. It's a cool idea, I think, and has interesting potential in the competitive scene.

Balancing it could be tricky. Would super-fast status moves be broken?
Would increased accuracy on a Pokemon with strong offensive stats be too good?
Would a Pokemon like this even be useful, or just an interesting novelty?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Name: Perfect Mate

General Description: Pick a good-but-not-great OU pokemon, and design the perfect teammate for it, similar to the way Celebi & Heatran, or Blissey & Skarmory complement each other so well on competitive teams.

Justification:
This would allow us to explore in detail how synergy between two pokemon can be achieved, because currently there are only a few perfect teammates in OU. And depending on the base pokemon we choose to give a "perfect mate", we can open a new niche in the metagame based around the efficient pairing.
The niche we create will be inherently tied to an existing pokemon in the metagame, which should provide a natural limitation to prevent this concept from being broken or "too different" from standard OU.

Questions To Be Answered:
Is the base pokemon's usefulness (and usage) in the metagame increased as a result of having a "perfect mate"?
What strategies are more effective for the base pokemon, as a result of having a perfect teammate?
What are the most effective aspects of the new pokemon, for purposes of making a great teammate with the base pokemon?
Is the new pokemon viable in the metagame without the base pokemon as a teammate
I love this idea so much, picking a struggling Pokemon and crafting the PERFECT team mate for it. I really don't see any reason in borrowing the general idea behind another CAP, because I firmly believe that we will do it different. Crafting a Perfect teammate would also allow us to buff a pokemon without having to buff this pokemon in NU to OU.

I have original ideas too that are things NOT in the current Metagame that would be incredibly amazing within it too, so I'll submit those when I have more time tomorrow, but i do suggest we all consider this.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I'm too lazy to dig up my Fire / Ice submission.

Perfect Mate seems too restrictive.

To add onto Zook's idea, I want Serene Grace Sacred Fire (from base 50 Attack or something)

JOE!

Smash Hero
Name: Electro-tank

Anaylisis: We lack alot of "good" electric type pokes aside from Zapdos, and even he is brought down by Stealth Rock. Electric is an under-rated attacking type, as ground is so prevalent and it is walled by ground itself. A somple solution to this would to make a pure elec with leviate, with decent attacking stats and a mixed movepool to be essentiall a super-safe sweeper of sorts, without weaknesses to boot.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Maybe mentioning some helpful abilities or typing would be good, but remember that those have their own respective stages later on in the SmashCAP process.
Key word there being maybe, Joe. It's not a bad submission, but concepts which are more restrictive aren't quite favored upon. My conpcet will be coming this afternoon.

Wrath`

Smash Master
Name: Psych Up Abuser

Analysis: The ability to raise stats in the metagame is always something you strive for, weather it be Agility to out speed and sweep, DD for GDos or TTar or Curse for any slow but bulky physical attacker. But what if you could use their gain to your advantage? Come in and steal their boosts and retaliate with your own attack to scare them away. Let them do the work for you.

Riddle

Smash Lord
Lilibelle is pretty anti-hax already.

Name: Anti-trap

Analysis: Pursuit sucks, wynaut sucks, getting your scizor killed by magnezone sucks, etc. Essentially this pokemon would make trappers much less viable. One possbile option would be to use trace to trap Magnezone and dugtrio and then turn them into set-up bait. Another option is to counter trappers and pursuiters so that if they did trap and kill one of your pokemon then they'd be put at a sizable disadvantage.

I imagine this pokemon would be only mediocre without the prescence of an enemy trapper.

Notable trappers include:

Tyranitar
Sharpedo
Scizor
Wynaut
Dugtrio
Magnezone

mood4food77

Smash Hero
Name: Flying Immune SR

Analysis: Most flying types are hurt pretty bad by the prelevance of SR. Their use is no where close to as good if SR is in play (prime example, Staraptor). Making a Flying type poke immune to SR could seriously shake things up as it now has no fear of switching in because of SR, let alone having a secondary Flying type is not a bad defensive typing.

Extra info: It could also learn Rapid Spin, something that flying type pokemon could seriously welcome.

mood4food77

Smash Hero

there is no flying poke that is immune to SR nor one that spins (outside of delibird)
you obviously didn't read the entire description

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
So I love how everyone is not reading the rules and listing practically the whole project in their concept submission.

Viable Concept Submissions
Stall-breaker
Anti-hax
Reliable Status Inflicter
Psych Up Absuer
Anti-Trap

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
You're still basically requiring a type, but I'll allow it, I guess. Don't complain if concepts like those don't get too far on the polls.

Concept: Sunnyside Up
Analysis: Face it. Sunny Day sucks in the OU metagame. Sandstorm has Tyranitar, and benefits a bunch of appropriate Pokemon. Hail has Abomasnow and to a lesser extent Walrein, Froslass, and Mamoswine. Rain became a dominant force by Kingdra itself, and not only that but there are more viable sweepers under the Rain such as Kabutops and Ludicolo, etc. The problem with Sunny Day is that the benefits are just too wrongly distributed. Grass-types who through Cholorphyll benefit the most from Sunny Day and Solarbeam are absolutely murdered by the 50% boost in Fire-type attacks. The Fire-type Pokemon who enjoy the said boost will also gain a 50% resistance to Water-type attacks, but lack the Speed increase. How could we craft such a Pokemon so that it gains the benefits of Sunny Day, while keeping it viable in the metagame?
Extra: Taking note, this is basically a "Kingdra in the Sun" concept. A Pokemon who through typing, ability, and stats would be able to fully abuse the weather and benefits of Sunny Day.
Viable Concept Submissions
Stall-breaker
Anti-hax
Reliable Status Inflicter
Psych Up Absuer
Anti-Trap
Flying Immune Stealth Rock
Sunnyside Up

Wave⁂

Smash Legend

Analysis: The ability to raise stats in the metagame is always something you strive for, weather it be Agility to out speed and sweep, DD for GDos or TTar or Curse for any slow but bulky physical attacker. But what if you could use their gain to your advantage? Come in and steal their boosts and retaliate with your own attack to scare them away. Let them do the work for you.

I'd rather use Heart Swap.

there is no flying poke that is immune to SR nor one that spins (outside of delibird)
you obviously didn't read the entire description
Zapdos is angry that you don't think he's ****ing awesome.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
he is awesome, but SR still limits him

having a flying type immune to SR doesn't have the limitations that most other flying types have

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Concept submissions will close at 8:30 PM. I'll need someone to compile each submission for a poll, afterwards. I'll give them a full list of each submission name.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
There's no point in trying to argue against his concept. The poll will be a clear dictation of which concepts are more valuable and appealing.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
And that's why I'm saying such concepts won't get far for the community because you've basically submitted "Hey guys we got this concept that would work but you'll need this type and this type and this ability which probably means the base stats will be this and yeah."

mood4food77

Smash Hero
how is zapdos filling my concept exactly?

i'm saying make a flying type immune to SR, that's it
zapdos is not a flying type immune to SR

why is it really being discussed?

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
That's beside the point. Here are the seven concept submissions for SmashCAP 4.
Concept: Stall-breaker
Analysis: Since the ban of Salamence, stall has become very popular in the metagame. There are good mixed attackers like Infernape who do a good job of stopping stall, but I don't think there is a pokémon who does the job perfectly. I'll admit that I don't know everything about stalling, but I think a fast poison type with perish song/taunt would be cool to use to combat the stall. I know you don't like ability talk at this point, but Cloud Nine would be a good ability for it.
Concept: Anti-Hax
Analysis: Hax is something that everyone and their mother complains about. It ruins what could be good games, a freeze comes in, Jirachi flinches through three of your Pokemon, a miss decides the game or a crit turns the entire tide of a match-up, or possibly TWave decides that you really need to stay para'd while your opponent gets a +6/+6 DDMence. Why not have a Pokemon that you could switch into all this oncoming hax and prevent it from ever happening? Something that could absorb that TWave, and stop flinch fests, or prevent moves from missing? This would take an extremely complicated combination of moves, stats, and abilities, but if done right this could be exactly what the metagame is looking for.
Name: Reliable Status Inficter

Analysis: The Pokemon games possess many different status inflicting moves, from Thunder Wave to Toxic, Hypnosis to Will-O-Wisp. There are very few Pokemon which have access to a wide variety of status inflincting moves, and even fewer who can pull it off successfully. Most status moves suffer from a lack of reliability: 75 is a normal stat for a status inflicting move not named Thunder Wave or Confuse Ray.

However, there are several abilities which help boost accuracy or increase the chance of a move's secondary effect activating. For example: Compoundeyes. This ability raises all of the Pokemon's attack accuracy by 30%, which eliminates the unreliable accuracy troubles of moves like Sleep Powder and Will-O-Wisp. No Guard also stands out, raising the accuracy of all moves to 100%. Serene grace would be an interesting addition if we wanted this CAP to go a more offensive route.

With a good speed stat and a reasonable amount of defense, the Reliable Status Inflicter would have no problem outrunning and crippling a Physical sweeper with a burn, or prevent a wall from setting up. In theory, a reliable status inflicter could plug your team's weak spots.

Extra: I'm pretty sure there's no other Pokemon which fills this role successfully. I've seen dual status sets on plenty of UU and NU sets, but I'm not sure how well they work, if it all. It's a cool idea, I think, and has interesting potential in the competitive scene.

Balancing it could be tricky. Would super-fast status moves be broken?
Would increased accuracy on a Pokemon with strong offensive stats be too good?
Would a Pokemon like this even be useful, or just an interesting novelty?

Name: Anti-Trap

Analysis: Pursuit sucks, Wynaut sucks, getting your scizor killed by magnezone sucks, etc. Essentially this pokemon would make trappers much less viable. One possbile option would be to use trace to trap Magnezone and dugtrio and then turn them into set-up bait. Another option is to counter trappers and pursuiters so that if they did trap and kill one of your pokemon then they'd be put at a sizable disadvantage.

I imagine this pokemon would be only mediocre without the prescence of an enemy trapper.
Name: Flying Immune SR

Analysis: Most flying types are hurt pretty bad by the prelevance of SR. Their use is no where close to as good if SR is in play (prime example, Staraptor). Making a Flying type poke immune to SR could seriously shake things up as it now has no fear of switching in because of SR, let alone having a secondary Flying type is not a bad defensive typing.
Concept: Sunnyside Up
Analysis: Face it. Sunny Day sucks in the OU metagame. Sandstorm has Tyranitar, and benefits a bunch of appropriate Pokemon. Hail has Abomasnow and to a lesser extent Walrein, Froslass, and Mamoswine. Rain became a dominant force by Kingdra itself, and not only that but there are more viable sweepers under the Rain such as Kabutops and Ludicolo, etc. The problem with Sunny Day is that the benefits are just too wrongly distributed. Grass-types who through Cholorphyll benefit the most from Sunny Day and Solarbeam are absolutely murdered by the 50% boost in Fire-type attacks. The Fire-type Pokemon who enjoy the said boost will also gain a 50% resistance to Water-type attacks, but lack the Speed increase. How could we craft such a Pokemon so that it gains the benefits of Sunny Day, while keeping it viable in the metagame?
Extra: Taking note, this is basically a "Kingdra in the Sun" concept. A Pokemon who through typing, ability, and stats would be able to fully abuse the weather and benefits of Sunny Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom