• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashbuds. A 'finder thread' replacement idea.

Daysoo

Smash Ace
For those who don't know (most anyone who reads this at this point), I'm a web developer.
One of the biggest factors that drew me into playing smash competitively was the community.
I've got my own group of friends that I smash with regularly. (The GPC crew. ;P)
Now there's nothing at all wrong with playing with the same group of friends, but it's always nice to see some new faces. Play some new people.
The biggest problem I've encountered is the rudimentary 'finder' threads are the best thing we have for finding new smashers to play with, short of word of mouth from your friend that knows a guy who has a pretty beastly Peach.

My idea in non-technical terms is this: A site that you can post a smash profile to that uses google maps to find people who play smash close by. You can punch in relevant information;

Smash Tag
Smashboards name
Real Name
Main
Secondaries
Location: Could be as vague or specific as you want. Working out privacy implications.
Contact info: Phone, AIM, email, etc.

Then use the map to find people in your general area to play smash with!
I've already started working on learning the google maps API, and have started drawing up database schemas.
I basically want to find out what the smash community thinks of the idea.
Note: This will only work if people actually use the 'darn' thing.
I'll also be on the lookout for new feature ideas.
At the moment, I'm tentatively calling the project 'Smashbuds'.
Let me know what you think.

_Pedochu

Smash Cadet
It'd also be nice if it were a bit more obvious as to where it was.
Mind letting me in on where it is?
Yes, it's called the Global Smash Compendium (I think that was what DCP was reffering to,) or GSC for short. It was founded by Simna ibn Sind, a professional Ness player and a valued member to the community; also recently a moderator. You can see the thread HERE. It runs with Google Earth. There is a version for PC, and Mac users like me as well. Most people should be able to download them, I hope you can.

If you have a problem/can't use Google Earth, you can always use. http://www.frappr.com/Smash Note that it is not as interactive/high tech as The GSC.

Also, I have to say you are incorrect about the best way to find smashers is through the Character Finders, although useful, they are not the best. The best way is to check the Regional Zones for where you live. There are different Regional Zones. There are 5.

• Atlantic North
  • Atlantic South
  • Midwest
  • Pacific West
  • International Community

The first for all regions of America. International Community is anywhere else in the world, from Canada to Israel. I live in the Atlantic North region, so I will click on Atlantic North and then "The Long Island Smash Thread," because Long Island is where I live. There is a smash finder for Long Island Smashers, and the thread is to discuss small Long Island Tournaments and Smashfests.

You may be able to find Smash Finders in Regional Zones for where you live, so you can find anyone in your area, where they live, and everything you will need to know about them.

Now I guess I'll fill out what you asked us to in the first post.

XTRM
Pedochu
Not giving this away
Pichu, Falco
Mewtwo, Fox
Long Island, New York
AIM: pulshthedoor ---weird, I know.

EDIT: On an almost completely unrelated topic (Flash and web designing are related, right?) To Demon: I want to see your new flash work!

Daysoo

Smash Ace
Yes, it's called the Global Smash Compendium (I think that was what DCP was reffering to,) or GSC for short. It was founded by Simna ibn Sind, a professional Ness player and a valued member to the community; also recently a moderator. You can see the thread HERE. It runs with Google Earth. There is a version for PC, and Mac users like me as well. Most people should be able to download them, I hope you can.

If you have a problem/can't use Google Earth, you can always use. http://www.frappr.com/Smash Note that it is not as interactive/high tech as The GSC.

Also, I have to say you are incorrect about the best way to find smashers is through the Character Finders, although useful, they are not the best. The best way is to check the Regional Zones for where you live. There are different Regional Zones. There are 5.

• Atlantic North
  • Atlantic South
  • Midwest
  • Pacific West
  • International Community

The first for all regions of America. International Community is anywhere else in the world, from Canada to Israel. I live in the Atlantic North region, so I will click on Atlantic North and then "The Long Island Smash Thread," because Long Island is where I live. There is a smash finder for Long Island Smashers, and the thread is to discuss small Long Island Tournaments and Smashfests.

You may be able to find Smash Finders in Regional Zones for where you live, so you can find anyone in your area, where they live, and everything you will need to know about them.

Now I guess I'll fill out what you asked us to in the first post.

XTRM
Pedochu
Not giving this away
Pichu, Falco
Mewtwo, Fox
Long Island, New York
AIM: pulshthedoor ---weird, I know.

EDIT: On an almost completely unrelated topic (Flash and web designing are related, right?) To Demon: I want to see your new flash work!
First of all, thanks for all the info. The goal I'm working towards would eliminate the need to download google earth and the GSC to find smash players, and would offer more functionality than the frappr map. You wouldn't post the information here, but would enter it into the application itself.
The idea is this:

Let's say you just want a quick round of friendlies this weekend, but some people in your usual crew are out of town, so you're looking for people close by to fill the gap.
You wouldn't have to register on smashbuds to say, find people within 20 miles of your address and have them listed out on the map based on their proximity to you.
You could just go to the map, enter your zip code, and the proximity of your search.
Smashbuds would update the map and show you everyone registered within 20 miles of your zip code, including their mains and tags.

Now, I'm not familiar with how GSC works just yet (Only just now downloaded it), so I'll see whether or not this project would be worthwhile.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
Well said Pedochu!

If you can make a better map then GSC Tobes, then by all means go for it. You'd probably be commended for doing it.

And I've been busy Marthsword! As well as sick! I have a couple more sig assignments that I have to complete, but after that I'm gonna start Smash Shorts episode 1. I'll show you the sigs when I'm done with them.

_Pedochu

Smash Cadet
First of all, thanks for all the info. The goal I'm working towards would eliminate the need to download google earth and the GSC to find smash players, and would offer more functionality than the frappr map. You wouldn't post the information here, but would enter it into the application itself.
The idea is this:

Let's say you just want a quick round of friendlies this weekend, but some people in your usual crew are out of town, so you're looking for people close by to fill the gap.
You wouldn't have to register on smashbuds to say, find people within 20 miles of your address and have them listed out on the map based on their proximity to you.
You could just go to the map, enter your zip code, and the proximity of your search.
Smashbuds would update the map and show you everyone registered within 20 miles of your zip code, including their mains and tags.

Now, I'm not familiar with how GSC works just yet (Only just now downloaded it), so I'll see whether or not this project would be worthwhile.
Well, the idea of how it would work sounds a lot like the GSC, but you seem intelligent and you are a web developer, (I fail at it, but I have flash,) so I trust that you can figure out a way to make it work even better and the best for what you are trying to do. I just want to say that I do recommend checking out the GSC and the Regional Zones for where you live, that can often let you learn whatever you need to about who is in your area and about them. And take Demon's advice as well.

Well said Pedochu!

If you can make a better map then GSC Tobes, then by all means go for it. You'd probably be commended for doing it.

And I've been busy Marthsword! As well as sick! I have a couple more sig assignments that I have to complete, but after that I'm gonna start Smash Shorts episode 1. I'll show you the sigs when I'm done with them.
Oh right, I remembered you were sick. By the way, are we using animation or sprites for Smash Shorts?

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Well, the idea of how it would work sounds a lot like the GSC, but you seem intelligent and you are a web developer, (I fail at it, but I have flash,) so I trust that you can figure out a way to make it work even better and the best for what you are trying to do. I just want to say that I do recommend checking out the GSC and the Regional Zones for where you live, that can often let you learn whatever you need to about who is in your area and about them. And take Demon's advice as well.

Oh right, I remembered you were sick. By the way, are we using animation or sprites for Smash Shorts?
Both. Pretty much whatever we can use, we'll use.

We're getting off topic. Email me at demoncaterpie@yahoo.com if you have any questions about the movie (or just PM me on your site Marthsword:) ).

Daysoo

Smash Ace
The goal of Smashbuds would be to make it as simple and efficient as possible.
From what I can tell, you have to send your profile information to a human being to have it manually added to the GSC. (You also have to download and install google earth, then load the GSC to even use it.)
Smashbuds, you fill out a form to enter your profile, submit it, and it's online.

Oh, and in my defense... I've been using the Regional Zones to keep track of tournaments and local smashfests. ;P

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
The goal of Smashbuds would be to make it as simple and efficient as possible.
From what I can tell, you have to send your profile information to a human being to have it manually added to the GSC. (You also have to download and install google earth, then load the GSC to even use it.)
Smashbuds, you fill out a form to enter your profile, submit it, and it's online.

Oh, and in my defense... I've been using the Regional Zones to keep track of tournaments and local smashfests. ;P
Hey, if you can do that, I'd totally sign my name up for it. Maybe you can use the profiles on the GSC for your thing.

Whatever you do, let me know when you finish it.

Top Bottom