• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards proxy

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
The smashboards just got blocked by my schools computer systems, is there a smashboards proxy I could use?

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yup, Use Tor.
https://www.torproject.org/

Tor is "The Onion Router", a series of anonymous proxies. You can run it without "installing" it on any machine using the Tor Browser Bundle. https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en

Just download it to a flash drive and run it from there. The instructions on the website are pretty straight forward, but feel free to ask if there are any problems.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hmm, can you be more specific? I mean, did you use the browser bundle, or tried installing the addon to your existing firefox? Have you tried it from different locations? Home, school, airport, etc...

It is possible for an admin to block known Tor exit nodes. If that's happening, you can still connect but it's a little more involved than "install and double click".

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Hmm, can you be more specific? I mean, did you use the browser bundle, or tried installing the addon to your existing firefox? Have you tried it from different locations? Home, school, airport, etc...

It is possible for an admin to block known Tor exit nodes. If that's happening, you can still connect but it's a little more involved than "install and double click".
I use the browser bundle because I didn't want to mess up my add-ons on my other portable firefox stuff. It works perfectly fine at home, but not at school. :(

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sounds like your school is trying to block Tor. The first thing you should do is talk to your school's sysadmin and scold them for not supporting a Free and Open Internet.

Then after that, you can still connect to Tor anyway. Tor was made to bypass censorship, after all! You have to use a Tor bridge. This is essentially an unlisted Tor node that you manually connect to. It's unlisted, so your school won't know to censor it. But it still lets you hop on the network. This is how people inside China access Tor, since their government tries to censors the web. Note that your school is using the same techniques as an oppressive totalitarian regime to censor freedom of speech. Let that one sink in.

More info here:
https://www.torproject.org/docs/bridges

The main challenge is finding a bridge. Google might be able to find you one. Or you can even run one from home yourself.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
The sysadmin is a bloody idiot. Know what he does? He blocks GOOGLE SEARCHES. If you search Marijuana for a drug-related essay, guess what? It's blocked!

He has a huge list of **** that's blocked for no reason, and guess what? He recently put a password on the guest wifi throughout the entire school, and he's the only one who knows the password. He's also wrecking all sorts of parts of the system every other day or so. The guy is a complete moron, which is probably why he got fired from his last job as a school superintendent. I also can't stand him for outside-of-school reasons, which I'm not going to say here.

So. Anyway. I'll try finding a bridge soon.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I had the same problems that werekill got which is why I did not post Thursday, so friday I tried it out and I got this...

^
School Computer not mine.

I was using bridges and it worked fine on my computer. I do not know much about the school computers other then we just recently upgraded to window 7. At home I use an XP, but the tor package I downloaded said it should work with windows 7. Am I missing something?

Top Bottom