• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - March 18th

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Smash Wii U & 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai has given a special four image preview today, saying "Pic of the day. Here's some info on the Nintendo 3DS stage called Super Mario 3D Land! First, it advances by side-scrolling…"

"Then you continue into the valley--it's in 3D Land, after all. The protruding stone blocks change the angles of the platforms."

"After that, back to side-scrolling. Now it gets you moving--you'll have to trot downhill here."

"And finally, you get back on rails to go farther into the stage. It takes roughly two minutes to complete a lap, and at the end you go into a giant pipe that takes you back to the beginning. …I know this sequence goes above and beyond a traditional Pic of the Day, so consider this a little something extra on the side from me."

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It pains me to think this stage may not be tourney legal. It looks like a lot of fun.

Ixbran

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
4549 - 7836 - 2775
This is going to be very exciting! I can't wait to play this game!

It pains me to think this stage may not be tourney legal. It looks like a lot of fun.
The Super Smash Bros. series competitive play isn't the main focus of the games, as it's a Party-Game/Fighter hybrid. Who cares if this stage is tourney legal or not? People who are able to enjoy the game as a whole, and love it for all the features it has, are Nintendo's main target audience, and the people who play smash competitively are the last things on Nintendo's minds.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I also love how in every screenshot, Kirby has not got a clue what's going on.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
Ooo, another stage that will I won't be able to play on in a competative game. Mmmmm.

Dan

Smash Lord
Ooo, another stage that will I won't be able to play on in a competative game. Mmmmm.
Gotta respect the fact that Sakurai doesn't give a sh*t about appealing to the competitive audience though. He never intended any of the games to be played at a high level.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

The Super Smash Bros. series competitive play isn't the main focus of the games, as it's a Party-Game/Fighter hybrid. Who cares if this stage is tourney legal or not? People who are able to enjoy the game as a whole, and love it for all the features it has, are Nintendo's main target audience, and the people who play smash competitively are the last things on Nintendo's minds.
I love Smash Bros for all of the features it has, but competitive potential is one of those features, and it is clearly a focus with this game, due to all of the major tweaks to characters and the overall formula (edge game changes, flurry attack finishers).

I'll still play this stage a lot, but I am interested in getting in on online competitive tournaments. I personally feel this stage SHOULD be tourney legal, as I disagree with a some foundations for what makes a stage tourney legal or not. I'm just kind of hoping Battlefield and Final Destination are not the only two stages I will be able to play competitively.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
Gotta respect the fact that Sakurai doesn't give a sh*t about appealing to the competitive audience though. He never intended any of the games to be played at a high level.
he does make stages for both audiences though... this stage is just for the fun-gamer. Final Destination, battlefield and stages like that are for the competitives ^^ so we all get something!

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Reminds me of Rainbow Cruise, but it looks better. I'll play on it at first, but later on I don't thijk I'd be touching this one..
I also love how in every screenshot, Kirby has not got a clue what's going on.
Kirby is an accidental warrior. He isn't trying to hurt anyone; its all an accident by him.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I hope he doesn't show all their final smashes. If the game's going to be playable at E3 we'll see a good chunk of them anyway.
Well, there will be at least 45-some Final Smashes, so showing a small bunch won't be so bad. ^^ I especially wanna see Pit's and Mario's right now, tbh. Oh, and Weegee's.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I'll avoid expecting updates of this size becoming a common thing, but... it'd be damn nice.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I wonder if he will be doing more updates like this for other moving stages.

Today was a nice surprise. Maybe he will do more of these as the release date approaches...

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Love the stage, I wonder what it'll be called though, theres no way they'd just call it super mario 3D Land

Renji64

Smash Lord

Go read his interviews and you will realise what was wrong with your statement he trys to make stages for both crowds slap yourself.

TheQuasiZillionaire

Smash Cadet
When I'm trying to play seriously, stages that interfere with the fighting really bother me. I hate the ships on Corneria, I hate the Fly Guys on Yoshi's Story, even Pokemon Stadium's shifting terrain bothers me, and I will not go anywhere near a stage that moves like Mute City (blegh) or Pokefloats.

That said, those stages can be really fun to screw around on. I still don't like being KOd by the stage, but when I'm not playing seriously it's not such a big deal.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Love the stage, I wonder what it'll be called though, theres no way they'd just call it super mario 3D Land
Super Smash Bros. Brawl's Mario Bros. stage says hi.

It makes sense in a way, as this stage isn't based on just one world from Super Mario 3D Land, but several areas of the game. Also, "Super Mario 3D Land" sounds like a name that could be given to a place...

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Super Smash Bros. Brawl's Mario Bros. stage says hi.

It makes sense in a way, as this stage isn't based on just one world from Super Mario 3D Land, but several areas of the game. Also, "Super Mario 3D Land" sounds like a name that could be given to a place...
Wasn't brawls called Mushroomy Kingdom at least it's not just called Super Mario Bros

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Wasn't brawls called Mushroomy Kingdom at least it's not just called Super Mario Bros
Or maybe there's a stage named Mushroom Kingdom in the game and this stage is named this way to avoid confusion.

There has a Mushroom Kingdom stage based on Super Mario Bros. every Smash game to date, so I doubt this game will be an exception.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
He was talking about the stage where you fight R.O.B. in the single-player modes. It is named after the game.

I loved this update! This stage looks really cool. I wonder if the Wii U version will have a "Super Mario 3D World" stage.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Looks more like Rainbow Cruise to me.
It's pretty much Rainbow Ride meets Mushroomy Kingdom. Scrolling Mario themed stage? Check. Has Mario platforming elements like moving platforms and donut blocks? Check. Has brick blocks and ? blocks? Check.

It also has that water part with the spike things. Judging by the first trailer, they seem strong, but they look quite predictable too as you can see them approaching from far away.

The mountainous part looks interesting. The hills changing the platform's angles is an interesting idea.

Last edited:

DarkFlame

Smash Apprentice
uhhh remember that rainbow road stage from melee with the flying ship you start on?
Well, it's not Rainbow Road, it's Rainbow Cruise or Rainbow Ride. Rainbow Road is a stage in Mario Kart, and looks nothing like Rainbow Ride. Road takes place in space, we saw it in Rosalina's release trailer. Rainbow Ride, for the sake of information, needed or not, is a stage in Super Mario 64 and Super Mario 64 DS.

TheQuasiZillionaire

Smash Cadet
Well, it's not Rainbow Road, it's Rainbow Cruise or Rainbow Ride. Rainbow Road is a stage in Mario Kart, and looks nothing like Rainbow Ride. Road takes place in space, we saw it in Rosalina's release trailer. Rainbow Ride, for the sake of information, needed or not, is a stage in Super Mario 64 and Super Mario 64 DS.
Although, there is a confirmed Rainbow Road stage for 3DS: Weblink of Revealing

Top Bottom