• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - July 16th

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
So the tomes and levin sword have durability just like in the FE games! I like it!

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
Hey guys look!

And the information from both these pages:

Lucina was originally included as a Marth skin.
"A certain character” was cut during development. (Chrom? Who knows. It's not clarified.)
Sakurai didn’t want to reduce the total number of characters.
It wasn’t possible to make a brand new character on short notice.
Lucina was repurposed into her own character slot to fill the void.

Lucina can mask on/off with a taunt, like Guile

Reverse Falcon Punch is back and does more damage if reverse

Robin's Forward Smash
This move strikes your opponent with Robin's Thunder Sword. However, as you can only use Robin's Thunder Sword attacks a certain number of times, once you've run out of uses, this attack will hit with a regular bronze sword instead.

Forward air attack
When performing this move, if you were to smash the analog stick in the forward direction, Robin will attack with his Thunder Sword for additional electric damage. But like all of Robin's Thunder Sword attacks, you can only use the improved version a finite number of times.

Down+B: Nosferatu
Purple-black smog in the shape of a snake appears right in front of Robin when this move is used. If your opponent is hit by it, he or she will be "cursed" by the spell. When a cursed opponent is hit, Robin's health meter will recover. What's also interesting is that if the cursed opponent is struck from the back, the amount of health Robin recovers will be larger.

Neutral B: Thunder
Hitting the button once will activate a charging period for Robin's Thunder spell, and hitting it again will cast it. The amount of time Robin charges will determine the version of the spell cast (Thunder, L Thunder, Giga Thunder, or Tron).

While charging, you can also hit the shield button to cancel the move and store the charge -- the next time you hit the B button, Robin will resume charging from wherever you left off previously.

Up+B: L Wind
When this special move is performed in the air, Robin produces two green projectiles that he sends flying downwards, which simultaneously propels him upwards. However, you can only use this move a limited number of times. Once you've exceeded the number of uses, Robin will not produce the projectiles or jump higher.

Side+B: Giga Fire
Robin produces a projectile that flies diagonally downwards. When the projectile comes into contat with the stage, an opponent, or an item, it will generate a pillar of fire that spreads upwards, and deal area damage to anyone nearby.
If this is really how Robin will play I will love this. This is great. At the same time it saddens me they didn't do more for Lucina but given their circumstance I am willing to let the cloning go...

Robin's weapon management seems like an awesome mechanic that allows you to adjust HOW you attack by simply activating a special. It looks like you can have different types of smash attacks, titls, aerials and jabs depending on the magic and sword you have equipped. Only disadvantage I see is most will save Elwind for recovery only and rotate between the Fire, Thunder, and Dark Magics for augmenting their actual attacks.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
robin having smash aerials seems awesome!
looks like I was right in my theory that the thunder attacks were charge able.
lucina would still be better suited as a skin rather than her own character slot. shes just marth with no tipper. how dare they cut chrom.
at least we get masked lucina and best of all: MASKED KIRBY!!!!

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
WAIT I THINK I POSTED A MISTRANSLATION

"Originally Lucina was a Marth color variation because they're related characters. The have different names and voices but play the same, and would receive treatment similar to male/female WFT, Villager and Robin. However, while Lucina's fighting style is the same, she has different characteristics. Because there's only a small difference, she would be a convenient additional character. This made her a lucky newcomer pick."

Someone else translated this and got this answer instead.

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
I'm glad to see that Robin is turning out this way. It makes me think that you have to play Robin strategically, planning out every use of your move until things break down. With the sword breakable, people will have to decide when to smash and when not to smash in order to get kills, since the bronze sword is weaker. I'm also wondering, based on the translations @ itsameluigi1290 itsameluigi1290 posted as to what will happen to the charge shot B and nosferatu down b once the tomes break. Hmmm...

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
It almost sounds like if you get the momentum on Robin, you'll easily win.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
And because of that he is going to be a pretty good defensive fighter. I like how there is a variety different gameplay styles for this roster. That is why I believe that this game needs to be itself and not try to be like the other games in the series. I think that there will be some interesting tech to be found once players get their hands on it. I can't recall of a game that doesn't have any kind of non existent tech, its going to be there and I hope this game gets the competitive scene attention and maybe see this at EVO 2015.

Last edited:

Gombukelp

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys look!

"A certain character” was cut during development. (Chrom? Who knows. It's not clarified.)

Robin's Forward Smash
This move strikes your opponent with Robin's Thunder Sword. However, as you can only use Robin's Thunder Sword attacks a certain number of times, once you've run out of uses, this attack will hit with a regular bronze sword instead.

Forward air attack
When performing this move, if you were to smash the analog stick in the forward direction, Robin will attack with his Thunder Sword for additional electric damage. But like all of Robin's Thunder Sword attacks, you can only use the improved version a finite number of times.

Purple-black smog in the shape of a snake appears right in front of Robin when this move is used. If your opponent is hit by it, he or she will be "cursed" by the spell. When a cursed opponent is hit, Robin's health meter will recover. What's also interesting is that if the cursed opponent is struck from the back, the amount of health Robin recovers will be larger.

Hitting the button once will activate a charging period for Robin's Thunder spell, and hitting it again will cast it. The amount of time Robin charges will determine the version of the spell cast (Thunder, L Thunder, Giga Thunder, or Tron).

While charging, you can also hit the shield button to cancel the move and store the charge -- the next time you hit the B button, Robin will resume charging from wherever you left off previously.

When this special move is performed in the air, Robin produces two green projectiles that he sends flying downwards, which simultaneously propels him upwards. However, you can only use this move a limited number of times. Once you've exceeded the number of uses, Robin will not produce the projectiles or jump higher.

Robin produces a projectile that flies diagonally downwards. When the projectile comes into contat with the stage, an opponent, or an item, it will generate a pillar of fire that spreads upwards, and deal area damage to anyone nearby.
If there was a character who was cut during the development and it is Chrom then the Gematsu leak could still be true. Chrom could have been removed after Sal received the leak so perhaps the leaker just gave him outdated information.

Sakurai hinted at Chrom almost making the cut in the trailer + he has a fully rendered in game character model. It could be that they decided to implement it in Robins Final Smash because they didn't want it to go to waste after scraping him.

The supposed leaker did on the other hand contact Sal right before the reveal trailer and said that they were going to announce Shulk as a playable character so yeah...

Edit: Just read in this thread that the part about a character being cut is false. It would have been a valid theory otherwise.

Last edited:

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
If there was a character who was cut during the development and it is Chrom then the Gematsu leak could still be true. Chrom could have been removed after Sal received the leak so perhaps the leaker just gave him outdated information.

Sakurai hinted at Chrom almost making the cut in the trailer + he has a fully rendered in game character model. It could be that they decided to implement it in Robins Final Smash because they didn't want it to go to waste after scraping him.

The supposed leaker did on the other hand contact Sal right before the reveal trailer and said that they were going to announce Shulk as a playable character so yeah...

Edit: Just read in this thread that the part about a character being cut is false. It would have been a valid theory otherwise.
Yeah, I just copy pasted from my friend, sorry about that.

poisontongue

Smash Rookie
I'm really interested in how the tome and Levin Sword systems will play out.

Really great to have a unique character from Awakening. Looking forward to playing as him/her, although he/she sounds too technical for my small mind, heheh.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
He/She just looks better and better.

Hopefully we get more about them this week.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
So, are all the tomes random then? It sounds like Game & Watch with his Hammer if so.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
So, are all the tomes random then? It sounds like Game & Watch with his Hammer if so.
No, his specials change his tome color. Standard special = Thunder (Yellow) tome, Side Special = Fire (Red) tome, Down special = Dark (Purple) Tome, and Up Special = Wind (Green) tome. Whether this will affect his jab, smashes, aerials, and tilts or is just a cosmetic change is still unknown

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
No, his specials change his tome color. Standard special = Thunder (Yellow) tome, Side Special = Fire (Red) tome, Down special = Dark (Purple) Tome, and Up Special = Wind (Green) tome. Whether this will affect his jab, smashes, aerials, and tilts or is just a cosmetic change is still unknown
I'm guessing it will allow faster spell casting for the designated Tome.

For instance
Red = Faster Fire Cast
Yellow = Faster Thunder (Charge?) Cast
Green = Faster Wind Cast

He's definitely an interesting character. Retaining his primary Awakening combat actually turned this guy into one of the most unique fighters in the game.

Still, he's no Marth :p

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
If I remember right, the first combo that he did on Captain Falcon in the trailer was 2 slices and then a burst of fire from the Fire tome. My guess is that the tome he holds determines certain aspects of his A moves. I could be very wrong though.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I'm guessing it will allow faster spell casting for the designated Tome.

For instance
Red = Faster Fire Cast
Yellow = Faster Thunder (Charge?) Cast
Green = Faster Wind Cast

He's definitely an interesting character. Retaining his primary Awakening combat actually turned this guy into one of the most unique fighters in the game.

Still, he's no Marth :p
If his tomes change when he uses a special move, how would this work? What you seem to be saying is that the tomes make their respective specials activate faster, but if the tomes are changed by using those specials, all that would do is promote spamming. If you mean something else I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.
If I remember right, the first combo that he did on Captain Falcon in the trailer was 2 slices and then a burst of fire from the Fire tome. My guess is that the tome he holds determines certain aspects of his A moves. I could be very wrong though.
Later in the trailer he also does something that looks like an infinite jab with a Wind tome. So you could be right. (infinite jab = standard a move (also known as a jab combo) that can be held infinitely by holding the a button) This is however assuming that the 2 slices and then a fire spell combo was a jab combo, although it almost definitely is.

Last edited:

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
If his tomes change when he uses a special move, how would this work? What you seem to be saying is that the tomes make their respective specials activate faster, but if the tomes are changed by using those specials, all that would do is promote spamming. If you mean something else I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

Later in the trailer he also does something that looks like an infinite jab with a Wind tome. So you could be right. (infinite jab = standard a move (also known as a jab combo) that can be held infinitely by holding the a button) This is however assuming that the 2 slices and then a fire spell combo was a jab combo, although it almost definitely is.
True.

I wonder which other A moves are affected by the tomes.....

Robin is looking to be a VERY complex character! :D

DirtyPete

Smash Cadet

i think robin wont be too spammable of a character, because the trailer said that over time his tomes get used up right? and over time his lightning sword gets used up too, and he switches to the bronze sword

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
i think robin wont be too spammable of a character, because the trailer said that over time his tomes get used up right? and over time his lightning sword gets used up too, and he switches to the bronze sword
I wasn't saying he looked like a spammable character, I was asking A_Phoenix_Down to further explain what he was saying Robin might be like, and saying that from how he worded his idea, it made it sound like he was suggesting a character that supports heavy spamming. Also, Tomes and the Levin Sword will apparently regen after a certain amount of time.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I wasn't saying he looked like a spammable character, I was asking A_Phoenix_Down to further explain what he was saying Robin might be like, and saying that from how he worded his idea, it made it sound like he was suggesting a character that supports heavy spamming. Also, Tomes and the Levin Sword will apparently regen after a certain amount of time.
This is how I look at it. Sorry I took so long. Get ready :

Say you start with the fire tome...

I'm suggesting that attempting to use thunder with the red tome ends up taking time to switch out the red tome for the yellow tome in order to use it. Choosing a different spell over the tome assigned to you takes LONGER to use.

Or on the other hand, using a different spell will discard the current tome permanently until recovery.

Sorry for the lack of explanation last time. I don't believe there will be spell spamming.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
This is how I look at it. Sorry I took so long. Get ready :

Say you start with the fire tome...

I'm suggesting that attempting to use thunder with the red tome ends up taking time to switch out the red tome for the yellow tome in order to use it. Choosing a different spell over the tome assigned to you takes LONGER to use.

Or on the other hand, using a different spell will discard the current tome permanently until recovery.

Sorry for the lack of explanation last time. I don't believe there will be spell spamming.
Ok, that makes more sense.

EDIT: I just remembered this, but in the trailer, we see Robin changing tomes and the tomes change instantly. There wasn't a switching animation, the tome just changed instantly.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Ok, that makes more sense.

EDIT: I just remembered this, but in the trailer, we see Robin changing tomes and the tomes change instantly. There wasn't a switching animation, the tome just changed instantly.
Is this after using a spell? Or is this when idle?

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I'm not sure because of the video editing, but it seemed like thunder was used a few seconds before a fire spell.
Well this could mean a couple things.

1. Using thunder switched the tome to red. Which is what seems to be the central idea behind his magic.

2. He manually switched the tome but I don't think that's possible.

I'm wondering if Robin's actually able to switch tomes manually... But at the cost of discarding the time in hand and losing it for a little bit.

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
The way the tomes seemed to work in the video and based on the moveset is that the tome is switched out for each thing. For example, it's been confirmed that neutral B is thunder and down B is nosferatu. Shoot out some thunder, press down B, and nosferatu just happens, and your book is now purple. I still think the tomes will have individual "health bars" per se, but they just kind of switch automatically with what move you're using.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Hey guys look!

That part was wrong, apologies.

Robin's Forward Smash

Forward air attack

A character that can lose their recovery is pretty interesting.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Well this could mean a couple things.

1. Using thunder switched the tome to red. Which is what seems to be the central idea behind his magic.

2. He manually switched the tome but I don't think that's possible.

I'm wondering if Robin's actually able to switch tomes manually... But at the cost of discarding the time in hand and losing it for a little bit.
It's been officially confirmed that tomes are changed by the specials associated with it (Standard B = Yellow Tome, Side B = Red Tome), so 1. and 2. can't be possible.

Last edited:

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
In case you guys didn't notice, Robin's casting stance is based on the mages in the GBA games.
I love the Mage's stance in GBA, it's an awesome stance! So glad they used it, I just wish every Robin animation used that stance.

Chris Sifniotis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
chrissifniotis
Nice, I'm liking the Levin Sword more and more, although the idea of a consumable attack is a bit weird and I'm not sure I like the idea. I'm interested to know how the competitive crowd is receiving this news.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
"Robin’s tome changes with each special attack." Does this mean that his special attacks are randomly picked from a pool of special attacks, cause that sounds difficult to control.
This probably like Princess Peach's side smash in Brawl or PM.

Lumenebrae

Smash Rookie
Hey guys look!

That part was wrong, apologies.

Robin's Forward Smash

Forward air attack

For anyone confused by move names, NA localizations are
L = El
Giga = Arc
Tron = Thoron

Last edited:
Top Bottom