• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - February 4th

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
That makes as much sense of him taking out stuff from Brawl+ or -
Funny you say that. With Sakurai talking about how he's going to go for a mid pace between Melee and Brawl, with more hitstun and combos but still the Brawl airdodge, gravity not as high as Melee and no L-cancelling, it sounds like SSB4's environment will be closest to Brawl+.

It intrigues me greatly because Smash has always been the fighting game with low barrier of entry, with the combos you can execute depending mostly on simple attacks based on simple inputs that you chain together through good reads on your follow-ups. I'm wondering if we finally get a Smash with really low tech, no L-Cancels, wavedashes, or DACUS, just your character, your moves and your reads ... what kind of competitive community and scene would that create?

We'll have to wait and see.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I'm wondering if we finally get a Smash with really low tech, no L-Cancels, wavedashes, or DACUS, just your character, your moves and your reads ... what kind of competitive community and scene would that create?

We'll have to wait and see.
That's my ideal actually. Honestly it's how I played Melee with my friends back in the day and I can't remember ever having more fun with a game.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Techs are going to be found no matter what Smash game Nintendo comes out with.

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
Honestly one of the worst things that could happen is for Sakurai to simply implement ideas from Project M (if he even knows about it which I'm fairly sure he doesn't). I already play that and I like it, but I certainly would prefer seeing Sakurai bring his own changes and additions to the game instead of going back to Melee as a base.

Brawl had many flaws, but it still makes sense to work off of Brawl in my opinion.
No... just no. Your opinions have brought great shame and dishonor on Smash. The only honorable thing to do is to commit seppuku.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
No... just no. Your opinions have brought great shame and dishonor on Smash. The only honorable thing to do is to commit seppuku.
Well, he isn't exactly wrong. Melee is great, but it sure has a high skill barrier in comparison to Brawl or Project M. It does make sense to work off of Brawl to see what to improve on for both competitive and casual audiences. Melee is the sharpest game in the series, but it isn't very accessible to every Smash Bros player which is what Sakurai should have done with Brawl. Make it easy to learn, but hard to master. That's how you make a great fighting game.

kingsharkboi

Smash Rookie
Well, he isn't exactly wrong. Melee is great, but it sure has a high skill barrier in comparison to Brawl or Project M. It does make sense to work off of Brawl to see what to improve on for both competitive and casual audiences. Melee is the sharpest game in the series, but it isn't very accessible to every Smash Bros player which is what Sakurai should have done with Brawl. Make it easy to learn, but hard to master. That's how you make a great fighting game.
I think you're mistaking "high skill barrier" for "high skill ceiling" unless I'm missing something. I'm just estimating, but I'm guessing that 90% of the people who bought/played Melee between 2001-2007 were completely unaware or didn't care about the advanced tech because the game (as Smash always is) was already so fun and accessible at lower levels. Every Smash was always accessible as far as my world of casual friends were concerned....the controls were the antithesis of the notorious digital commands of other fighters which required people to do hand acrobatics (or buy a stick) before they can even properly learn basic zoning and anti-airs. That's what I consider a "barrier", whereas Melee simply had a high "ceiling" for those who wanted to dig deeper. It was the definition of easy-2-learn and hard-2-master and I'd have no problem seeing that balance return (with of course some new elements).

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Even at the casual level, though, Melee had some issues. After about 2 days with Melee Marth and a summer of Bwarl, I was autopilot edgeguarding and 4-stocking friends that grew up with Melee and Smash 64. Balance is really not something these games have a good grasp of.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Does he even know that project M exists? has he ever mentioned it before?
I actually believe he has. I'm not sure if it was directly him, but I remember seeing someone post about how Nintendo was completely aware of Project M. And I do hope Nintendo takes notes from Project M. Just a few. I don't wanna rip off. Just a few tweaks, then add a boatload of their own twists and tricks. That new edge grab mechanic, even though it looks as horrendous and evil as Brawl's air dodge mechanic, could be an interesting twist.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
Funny how Luigi is in the picture. Luigi uses his side-special as a missile, and it seems so does lucario. Coincidence? I think not. I mean, both have the ability to charge up too!

Top Bottom