• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash WiiU & 3DS Miiverse Daily Pic - April 3rd

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Smash Wii U & 3DS director Masahiro Sakurai says "Pic of the day. Pikachu's Thunder now starts off with a thundercloud that deals a Meteor Smash! From left to right, you can see this combo starting with Pikachu throwing the opponent upward, Meteor Smashing with the lightning strike, and then directly attacking. Foes can dodge, of course, so the attack won't hit consistently, but when it does, it sure feels good!"

Micro

Smash Rookie
This picture with Sakurai's use of the word "combo" got me really excited. Which was followed by the disappointment of "foes can dodge, of course." I'm still hoping there are legit combos in this game.

Pékaßlu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0147-0376-7641
Sakurai seems to be getting inspiration from different fangames n stuff. That's just like brawl minus pika.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
This picture with Sakurai's use of the word "combo" got me really excited. Which was followed by the disappointment of "foes can dodge, of course." I'm still hoping there are legit combos in this game.
Well foes can always dodge. That's kind what makes the combos in Smash more exciting than other fighting games for me. It's equal parts attacker skill and defender DI.

Either way, I love this nerf/buff. Keep it from being spammable without turning it into garbage.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Did...did Sakurai just acknowledge the existence of combos in Smash?!?? Mah boi, he be learning quick!

Now to see if b-reverses return.

Djent

Smash Champion
The fact that it "starts off with" a MS implies that there is a 2nd hitbox. Perhaps the old one, or perhaps it has a new trajectory.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
Honestly don't know what to think of this. I main Pikachu in Brawl (and god knows he could do with a spike), but the practicality of the mechanic is questionable...

Part of me just wants to fall asleep until the game has been released so that we can decide for ourselves what a 'combo' is.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I get the feeling it'll be very useful for edge control and some air control. In all honesty, it feels like a buff.

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
I was legit surprised by this, I went to sleep early and I am glad I did so I could wake up at 7:30 to see this. I am really happy with the few in-depth screenshots we got. He took this from a fun thing to do, to showing off mechanics and pretty deep ones like Little Mac forward Smash and the new Ledge mechanics

I can't wait, I am playing Brawl and PM to keep up with my skills because THE EXACT MOMENT I unlock every character possible I am hitting training and finding my main and then going to fight online

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
So if you look closely, it's meteor smashing them into the hit the 2nd hitbox of thunder. (On the 3rd page) Ya know, the one that surrounds pikachu and kills ridiculously earlier.

If that's true, the 2nd hitbox of thunders power has either been nerfed, or boozers at a very low percent.

On top of that, i'm curious what move pikachu's using in that last pic. Looks like u-air.

Well, whatever.
Just glad to finally see a pikachu update.

Last edited:

Eskelsen

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eskelsen
This is a cool change, but what really interests me is the fact that Sakurai is putting effort into the little things of this game, shows that he cares about balance and viability of characters/moves and whatnot.

Waver

Smash Cadet
NNID
WaverJR
3DS FC
2964-8605-0439
Switch FC
SW-1450-5084-6730
Yes! Pika's Thunder needed a range nerf. Now it's kinda like Melee, I just hope they nerf the power of the attack like Melee, I might consider playing Pika again.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Well, I can't tell if Pikachu's powerful connection will be back, but if it is, it's possible it was severely nerfed in order to make the meteor happen.

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
Awful change!
- kills of the top with thunder are gone
- if meteor cancelling is still in, what's stopping me from jumping out of the spike and smacking Pikachu while he's still lagging?

Sakurai mentioned combos during Brawl development too. He demonstrated the concept of combos showing Ike performing upthrow to upsmash. Try that combo out in Brawl lol

Last edited:

JDIZ

Smash Cadet
- if meteor cancelling is still in, what's stopping me from jumping out of the spike and smacking Pikachu while he's still lagging?
It seems like his ending lag may be a lot less seeing as how he's able to attack by the time they get smashed to the ground.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
How high must Bowser's % have been for Pikachu to throw him that high up? Isn't he like, the heaviest character? Also, I like how ridiculously massive Pikachu's tail gets during an attack in this screen.

Last edited:

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
So now he can't easily and quickly send people upwards. It also seems like the attack doesn't linger anymore, making it easier to dodge midair. Then it looks like the final OP attck where thunder hits Pikachu is either super nerfed or gone entirely. We'll see in game. But this does make Pikachu fall a few places from top tier, hopefully.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
To remain optimistic, I think he's referring to DI's role in being able to consistently hit.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
So now he can't easily and quickly send people upwards. It also seems like the attack doesn't linger anymore, making it easier to dodge midair. Then it looks like the final OP attck where thunder hits Pikachu is either super nerfed or gone entirely. We'll see in game. But this does make Pikachu fall a few places from top tier, hopefully.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Now to see if b-reverses return.
Sakurai actually did a breverse with megaman, I'm sure it was by accident. Now if he took them out since is the question, which would suck since it was like one of the more important ATs in brawl.

Last edited:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Sakurai actually did a breverse with megaman, I'm sure it was by accident. Now if he took them out since is the question, which would suck since it was like one of the more important ATs in brawl.
He also did a B-reverse with Link in the WFT trailer.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I'm sure he's aware of it being in there, so I doubt it was an accident.

Top Bottom