• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash US and JP differences?

magnumXIII

Smash Cadet
I was just thiking, you know how the PAL and NTSC versions of melee had a lot of changes between them. Well what if the US version of brawl has some minor glitches fixed and weights and speed adjustments in the characters? I think the US version of brawl will have some changes in it that the JP version doesnt and it will be a little noticable like the PAL version of melee was to people who played the US one. Just a thought...

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Not enough time to tweak things like that.

Shock the Hedgehog: The servers don't allow people from different continents to play with each other, not even with "With Friends" (at least not using the Japanese version). Problem solved!

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
The Melee versions were different? How?
I am pretty sure Marth was nerfed in the PAL version, if only slightly. That is the only example I can think of off the top of my head.

And it all depends on whether or not the games are meant to be compatible online. Considering that Brawl is region locked, I wouldn't put it by them to make a couple of bug fixes between to versions for different regions and just not have them compatible online.

JP games are expected to be played in Japan, NA versions in North America, etc. Just because a very very small minority of people imported wouldn't be enough to totally prevent Nintendo from calling for some bug fixes or something. I doubt the US version will have any real differences, including bug fixes, but other releases might.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
It's more of compatibility issues with the wifi then anythign else.

Surgo

Smash Apprentice
Shock the Hedgehog said:
If they did change it, how would it work on Wifi? Would Americans not be affected by a glitch, but Japanese people would? How would that work out?
The games can be compatible online while having glitches fixed. This must be the third time I've posted this...

In the Japanese version of Pokemon Diamond & Pearl, if you are holding a choice band (or other choice item) and kill a pokemon that switches out against you with Pursuit, you can change your move. This "glitch" does not exist in the American version, but you can still play with the Japanese versions online. This is where my memory gets fuzzy, but if I recall correctly both games will behave in their own way when playing online (so the Japanese player has the advantage).

Surgo

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to see a source for that. I don't see how anyone has that info, seeing as how the game has only been released on one continent.

Not that I'd be surprised, seeing as how completely ******** Nintendo has always been about online play. But a source for that is needed.

kad15

Smash Cadet
I don't think there gonna be alot of differences
maybe just some minor changes

SomeRandomGuy

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to see a source for that. I don't see how anyone has that info, seeing as how the game has only been released on one continent.

Not that I'd be surprised, seeing as how completely ******** Nintendo has always been about online play. But a source for that is needed.
Its just a rumor i heard. May or may not be true. I think it may be true.

Xenesis

Smash Journeyman
The games can be compatible online while having glitches fixed. This must be the third time I've posted this...

In the Japanese version of Pokemon Diamond & Pearl, if you are holding a choice band (or other choice item) and kill a pokemon that switches out against you with Pursuit, you can change your move. This "glitch" does not exist in the American version, but you can still play with the Japanese versions online. This is where my memory gets fuzzy, but if I recall correctly both games will behave in their own way when playing online (so the Japanese player has the advantage).
That's incorrect. The rules of the US version take priority over the Japanese version. That being said, if two Jpn versions are playing then it works like the Jpn version.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
This might actually be likely, considering all the time we had to wait...Japanese's(the short form of this word is offensive? o_O I'll keep that in mind...) release was only pushed back a week, while we had to suffer a month longer.

LamerFlamer

Smash Cadet
They can't change anything in the American version now. The american game is complete, how else would the reviewing places have it?

Right now they're just printing more copies. Most of the glitches that would've been fixed weren't discovered fast enough for them to have changed the game code.

US and JP versions of the game will be nearly exactly the same.

Lipucd

Smash Apprentice
...If everyone were to use the Japanese servers, then its false. The US is gonna have its own servers, and for all we know its not gonna work with JP Brawl -_-
...Why not?

Do you guys even LOOK AT OTHER GAMES AT ALL!?!

Every OTHER WII/DS GAME THAT HAS WI-FI ALLOWS JP to US PLAY.

....Sometimes I wonder about your guys sense of logic but whatever....

I doubt Nintendo would change something like that for one game....>_>;;

...and if its really THAT big of a deal I bet there would be some kind of patch for it anyway...PBR had one *very tiny one yet...* so why not brawl?

HyperTheHedgehog

Smash Journeyman
...Why not?

Do you guys even LOOK AT OTHER GAMES AT ALL!?!

Every OTHER WII/DS GAME THAT HAS WI-FI ALLOWS JP to US PLAY.

....Sometimes I wonder about your guys sense of logic but whatever....

I doubt Nintendo would change something like that for one game....>_>;;

...and if its really THAT big of a deal I bet there would be some kind of patch for it anyway...PBR had one *very tiny one yet...* so why not brawl?
Animal Crossing's online doesn't.

Mazor

Smash Cadet
HyperTheHedgehog said:
You were both playing with the Japanese version on the Japanese servers...
Do you actually believe the games are hosted on Japanese servers yourself? Do you have any idea of how laggy that would be? I am 100% sure they aren't as I get no lag at all when playing against other Swedes. The only games that MIGHT be hosted on Japenese servers are games in the random matches feature.

Khanczar said:
holy crap really? How was the lag?
Yes really, why would they bother making it so that it cut the connection everytime an european tried to connect to an american? I live in Sweden and so far I have played several playable games against east coast americans. All games against west coast have been laggy so far.

tafutureboy said:
n SSBB....if so you both have the jpn version.....you can play cross continent but no cross games version it seems
Why does it seem that we can not play cross games version? The US version is not out yet so I really don't see how it "seems" that we can not play cross game versions. Sure its possible that Nintendo will be lame enough to put in a block but we won't know until either they officially state that they will put in a block or the US version comes out (or until the US version is leaked).

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer

A turn-based RPG is totally different from a fast-paced fighting game. If two games react differently to a series of identical button presses and directional input (which is what gets sent online), the characters and events on screen will be out of sync, and that makes the game entirely unplayable. Short of the US version somehow exchanging patches on the fly (or some other method of deploying patches that would be required) the US version can't play differently than the Japanese.

kaibyaku

Smash Apprentice
It'll probably be PAL vs PAL and NTSC vs NTSC, just like with Mario Strikers Charged. I remember trying to play with someone (within the same country) who had an NTSC version and I had a PAL version, and it wouldn't allow it. I wouldn't be surprised if this worked the same way.

NintendoGamer88

Smash Cadet
I played with Americans online and I'm European. Rumor disproved.
The game doesn't care about your physical location. If you're both using Japanese imports, than you will naturally be able to play each other.

However, I have yet to see a source saying that different regions can't play online.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
BTW, this bit from the Dojo certainly suggests you can play US/JPN:
But because this form of communication is greatly affected by the distance between you and your opponent, your brawls may not run smoothly if you’re really far apart—like, for instance, if you’re connecting between Japan and America.
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/wi-fi/wi-fi01.html
And just for the hell of it,
Debido a que este tipo de conexión depende en gran medida de la distancia que haya entre tú y tu oponente, los combates no transcurrirán suavemente si os encontráis muy lejos el uno del otro. Por ejemplo, si uno está en Japón y el otro en Europa.
http://www.smashbros.com/es/gamemode/wi-fi/wi-fi01.html

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
other than english text some VA and sonic sounding like a 40 year old man on weed none really

Top Bottom